Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Business & Enterprise Computing

Notices

Old Today, 3:58 PM   #26416
blankpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Why are we still paying these sorts of people money to work for us?

I now ignore people who can't do basic tasks. My time is far too limited to try and squeeze blood from that stone. When they invariably complain that it's all too complex, or nobody told them, I invite them to come with me, stand in front of the CEO and explain why the detailed instructions that worked for the other 99.8% of employees didn't work for them. Zero takers so far.

I will no longer deal with people who require several other humans around them to do one person's worth of work.

All of our business owners/execs live on their phones. Most spend more time out and about on mobile devices than in the office.

Not a single person in our org remembers Exchange (a) fondly or (b) at all.

They sure as hell love the ever growing list of cool crap Google give us year on year though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Our execs connect in via OpenVPN on their phones, check security camera footage, use our ERP, and do a bunch of other stuff. For Email/Video/Documents we're all Google, so they happily use the full suite of apps (including stuff that doesn't get a lot of advertising but is super useful, like Google Keep).

My CEO in particular is very tech savvy (and not in that "I like shiny gadgets" way - he came from a hands on engineering background).

I might work with some total numpties, but one of the reasons I stick around is because the execs are good folk.
Not trying to be a dickhead (I do a good job at that already with little effort), but I suspect the main reason this tactic works is because of the bolded bit above. Try that in my company (ironically a MNC IT company) with our CEO who calls Internet Explorer 'microsoft' (as in, "i open microsoft and check my webmail") and you won't get the same response.

ninja edit: I like putting extra bits in parentheses.
blankpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 4:46 PM   #26417
EvilGenius

Yesterday news about CCleaner being trojan'd. No worries, I'll remove all 2 of the affected versions on our network. Crisis averted. Nope. 'Security Analyst' today. *Link to forbes article* OHNOSE CCleaner has been hacked! Please remove from all machines.

No I'm not exaggerating it, his actual words were 'hackers have hidden a virus in the CCleaner app'. Somehow this means I should uninstall every version from every machine.
Wanted - N64 console - decent controller/s
EvilGenius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 4:53 PM   #26418
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankpaper View Post
Not trying to be a dickhead (I do a good job at that already with little effort), but I suspect the main reason this tactic works is because of the bolded bit above. Try that in my company (ironically a MNC IT company) with our CEO who calls Internet Explorer 'microsoft' (as in, "i open microsoft and check my webmail") and you won't get the same response.
As above, there's a handful of reasons I quit other "cushier" jobs, but put up with the bullshit of my current workplace. Despite a host of challenges, having senior management that don't put up with bullshit seems to rate high on the list of things that prevent me from flipping a table and buggering off.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 5:00 PM   #26419
NSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Yesterday news about CCleaner being trojan'd. No worries, I'll remove all 2 of the affected versions on our network. Crisis averted. Nope. 'Security Analyst' today. *Link to forbes article* OHNOSE CCleaner has been hacked! Please remove from all machines.

No I'm not exaggerating it, his actual words were 'hackers have hidden a virus in the CCleaner app'. Somehow this means I should uninstall every version from every machine.
CCleaner is shit anyway.

You can do everything you want/need w/ Autoruns manually.
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 6:33 PM   #26420
EvilGenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSanity View Post
CCleaner is shit anyway.

I don't care if it's installed or not. It's the knee jerk reaction 'oh noes the hakzors are coming for us' response. Lets completely fail to understand the situation and just take it out of everywhere.
Wanted - N64 console - decent controller/s
EvilGenius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 7:22 PM   #26421
chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSanity View Post
CCleaner is shit anyway.

How do one clean Firefox/Chrome caches with Autoruns?
chip is offline   Reply With Quote