Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Holidays & Travel

Notices

Old 26th August 2015, 7:27 PM   #3346
mrthong

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl4ck32 View Post
i went with the mrs in mid feb - march and it was right before spring. So a little cold, but good days in Tokyo averaged 10-12 deg. with rain some days.

Perfect time for us as you could walk a lot without getting hot I also lost 7kg too so....
went to korea (winter as well) with similar dates and gained 5kg.
PSN:s2NE1 | Bnet s2ne1#1890 | SteamID: stwoanyone | Orgin: s2ne1
Desktop: i5 3750k 4.3ghz|Gigabyte x77z-up7|8gbGskill|SLi EVGA GTX670 FTW|Cosair RM850|Cosair 650D| WaterCooled
mrthong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 7:52 PM   #3347
master phi

Got here two days ago. I'm living near Kamata, any overclockers near me at the moment? I'm thinking of getting a bicycle tomorrow. I need one to fit me (180cm). Any recommendations? Just a normal Japanese bicycle will do as I need to transport things around whilst I buy stuff for my apartment.
Phenom II X2 550 @X4 B50 3.85ghz 1.44V -|- GA-MA770T-UD3P -|- G.Skill Trident 8-8-8-21 @830mhz DDR3 4GB -|- Enermax Modu 82+ 625W -|- Nocuta U12PC -|- HIS 4890 OC @900mhz 1000mhz -|- Sondigo Oxygen Inferno -|- Pioneer Kuro 50" 508XDA Plasma -|- Razer Deathadder -|- Logitech G15 -|- G.Skill 64GB Falcon
master phi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 9:39 PM   #3348
Bold Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by master phi View Post
Got here two days ago. I'm living near Kamata, any overclockers near me at the moment? I'm thinking of getting a bicycle tomorrow. I need one to fit me (180cm). Any recommendations? Just a normal Japanese bicycle will do as I need to transport things around whilst I buy stuff for my apartment.
Considered renting a bicycle?

http://cycle-tokyo.cycling.jp/shops.html#i0

https://www.gotokyo.org/en/tourists/...ess/cycle.html
Old 26th August 2015, 9:56 PM   #3349
master phi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
No I'll be here for at least 6 months so I will need to get around a bit more than that. Thanks for the tip though. I'm currently looking through craigslist at the moment. Else I'm thinking of buying the bicycle I saw at costco for around 169 000 yen.
Phenom II X2 550 @X4 B50 3.85ghz 1.44V -|- GA-MA770T-UD3P -|- G.Skill Trident 8-8-8-21 @830mhz DDR3 4GB -|- Enermax Modu 82+ 625W -|- Nocuta U12PC -|- HIS 4890 OC @900mhz 1000mhz -|- Sondigo Oxygen Inferno -|- Pioneer Kuro 50" 508XDA Plasma -|- Razer Deathadder -|- Logitech G15 -|- G.Skill 64GB Falcon
Old 26th August 2015, 10:00 PM   #3350
Boneman

Find your nearest Hard-Off store and buy used. http://www.hardoff.co.jp/hardoff/ Or go to one of the big department stores nearby, there should be a bike centre inside.

Might need some documents for the registration though, like your residence card. I think it costs about 500 yen.
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 10:25 PM   #3351
master phi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneman View Post
Find your nearest Hard-Off store and buy used. http://www.hardoff.co.jp/hardoff/ Or go to one of the big department stores nearby, there should be a bike centre inside.

Might need some documents for the registration though, like your residence card. I think it costs about 500 yen.
Thanks Boneman. No probs I have to carry around my residence card everywhere anyway...

I'm actually looking at craigslist sayonara sales at the moment. Seems like a great time to get everything I need to get set up. Mainly need a rice cooker, toaster, kettle, iron, bicycle and what else do I need... but I can't clutter the place as it is only 12m^3 heh was a shock when I found out the whole apartment was smaller than the size of my room back home in Australia.

Oh that's right need blankets and stuff. I have been sleeping in a sleeping bag for the last few days.
Old 26th August 2015, 10:33 PM   #3352
SCwerTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by master phi View Post
No I'll be here for at least 6 months so I will need to get around a bit more than that. Thanks for the tip though. I'm currently looking through craigslist at the moment. Else I'm thinking of buying the bicycle I saw at costco for around 169 000 yen.
If your Japanese is OK, try jimotii.

Recycle stores like hard-off are good places to go too. I got most of my stuff from Treasure-Factory earlier this year and organized with them to deliver it for me. I found it was easier than craigslist for the larger items, since you need to organize delivery yourself for them.
SCwerTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 10:38 PM   #3353
Boneman

Do you have an Amazon.jp account? Might save a lot of time and headaches just ordering all your appliances and bedding online, definitely want to prepare some good blankets for winter. If the floor is tatami then you can find cheap futons at department stores and carry them home no dramas.

Of course the used stuff on craigslist is a lot cheaper, but then theres the price of transport and lack of guarantee etc.
Old 26th August 2015, 10:43 PM   #3354
master phi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCwerTA View Post
If your Japanese is OK, try jimotii.

Recycle stores like hard-off are good places to go too. I got most of my stuff from Treasure-Factory earlier this year and organized with them to deliver it for me. I found it was easier than craigslist for the larger items, since you need to organize delivery yourself for them.
Hmmm looks like there is one around 50 mins walking distance to me. I'll go check it out. Thanks.

Quote:
Do you have an Amazon.jp account? Might save a lot of time and headaches just ordering all your appliances and bedding online, definitely want to prepare some good blankets for winter. If the floor is tatami then you can find cheap futons at department stores and carry them home no dramas.

Of course the used stuff on craigslist is a lot cheaper, but then theres the price of transport and lack of guarantee etc.
I only just arrived two days ago and set up my internet yesterday. Spent the last two days registering at the city ward and opening up a bank account. The uh language barrier is making things a lot slower than it should but at least they actually do try for me. I need to learn more Japanese. Would it be best to buy 2nd hand textbooks from people or from the shops?

I haven't thought about amazon Japan. Since amazon Australia only sells kindle books hah.

Thanks for the help you guys. I will go exploring a bit more tomorrow and see how I go. In the mean time looks like dinner will be muffins and tea again. That costco buy of the 20 pack of muffins was a bad choice upon reflection....

Last edited by master phi; 26th August 2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 26th August 2015, 11:54 PM   #3355
mtma

Amazon.jp has all of everything on it. I subscribed to prime but to be honest I didn't find that I actually used it that much. But second that suggestion - definitely available in English and relatively fuss free.

Oh did I tell you if you miss a delivery you can elect to deliver in the 8pm - 9pm time slot for both mail and couriers? Well... as long as you work out how to get your mail redelievered from the saihaitatsu card all written in Japanese

Store shopping turned out to be reasonably easy for me - but for good value store shopping you had to go to fairly obscure places (or just Aeon mall, which are always in inconvenient places by Japanese standards) and at these places there tends to be no chance that anything is conveyed in English or spoken in English.

Last edited by mtma; 27th August 2015 at 12:01 AM.
mtma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 12:22 AM   #3356
Boneman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtma View Post
Amazon.jp has all of everything on it. I subscribed to prime but to be honest I didn't find that I actually used it that much. But second that suggestion - definitely available in English and relatively fuss free.

Oh did I tell you if you miss a delivery you can elect to deliver in the 8pm - 9pm time slot for both mail and couriers? Well... as long as you work out how to get your mail redelievered from the saihaitatsu card all written in Japanese

Store shopping turned out to be reasonably easy for me - but for good value store shopping you had to go to fairly obscure places (or just Aeon mall, which are always in inconvenient places by Japanese standards) and at these places there tends to be no chance that anything is conveyed in English or spoken in English.
And if the delivery is with Yamato or Sagawa you can reschedule online or with your phone, its bloody fantastic.
Old 27th August 2015, 3:05 AM   #3357
chainbolt Thread Starter

Quote:
And if the delivery is with Yamato or Sagawa you can reschedule online or with your phone, its bloody fantastic.
.... and even in English.
chainbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 12:02 PM   #3358
mrthong

Going to lock in on the tickets tomoz hopefully, about $900.

Would 1.2k AUD be sufficient for 2 weeks of food and public transport? Will be staying at Tokyo and a few days in Yokohama, One friend said it wasn't :'(
PSN:s2NE1 | Bnet s2ne1#1890 | SteamID: stwoanyone | Orgin: s2ne1
Desktop: i5 3750k 4.3ghz|Gigabyte x77z-up7|8gbGskill|SLi EVGA GTX670 FTW|Cosair RM850|Cosair 650D| WaterCooled
mrthong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 12:40 PM   #3359
master phi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthong View Post
Going to lock in on the tickets tomoz hopefully, about $900.

Would 1.2k AUD be sufficient for 2 weeks of food and public transport? Will be staying at Tokyo and a few days in Yokohama, One friend said it wasn't :'(
Going with my costs at the moment. If you are only spending the 1.2K on food and public transport. I would say yes. Note the AUD nose dived as I came here on Monday so keep that in mind too. Deja vu as last time I was overseas was in 2008 around this time too.

So realistically depending on what rates your bank gives you... you really only have like 102 000 yen. Which is plenty for just food and public transport. If you don't cook yourself then meals are on average for me 450 yen (including tax) per meal and times that by three for per day unless you are a hobbit. But depending on your dish it will vary. Also meal sizes are a bit different to Australian sizes.

Yokohama should be cheap enough from what I hear. I'm not sure about Tokyo, I'm living in between Tokyo and Yokohama.

I would say it is plenty for binge of food and public transport for two weeks.
Old 27th August 2015, 5:21 PM   #3360
mtma

It's enough but it really depends on what style of trip you want to take. Are you travelling entirely locally or like to ride taxis will you be splurging on whatever meals or doing the economy chain udon/rice bowl/curry route? I'd expect that for some meals you might push over 3000 yen easily but whether you'd be in a situation where that happens every day?

If the budget isn't exclusively for food and meals then that could be another issue.

Mind you a friend of mine recently did Hiroshima-Osaka-Tokyo for two weeks with $2,000 between himself and the wife minus anything pre-booked (no JR-pass). That was when AUD was about 10% stronger vs. yen.
mtma is offline   Reply With Quote