OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Holidays & Travel

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 18th April 2017, 10:52 AM   #31
josh1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR27 View Post
Eventually got here. Rental company tried to palm a Cadillac CT6 Off in the same class as E class Merc and 5 series. Haggled for ages with them and got an upgrade to a brand new Volvo XC90 T6 for $20/day more. No one had hired it before. Black with tan leather and heaps of goodies. Bloody awesome kid hauler and the AWD will come in handy for the snow/ice area I'm going to. Have driven around in traffic a bit today and damn la traffic is nuts. No one indicates, they cut in with no notice and everyone does 80+ in the left lane (fast). Getting used to not driving on there left side of the road/ right side of car
Unfortunately, the bad driving is not limited to L.A

We had our V8 E150 camper sitting comfortably on 85mph on the open road, around 70 on the L.A freeway. Used an average of 14.2L/100km (i.e not fucking bad for a V8 powered brick on wheels) out in the sticks, cities it got as bad as 19.5L/100km. But with the price of fuel there who cares. Dearest we saw it was $4.45 a gallon in Death Valley but paid as little as $2.23 a gallon. I daresay your whip will be miles out in front on fuel economy. Have a fantastic trip

Edit - did you still get chains? We saw AWD vehicles getting turned around at chain control points because they didn't have the appropriate tyres or chains at least on board. Full on muddies were cruising through. We got up a snowy, icy off ramp heaps easier than an AWD subaru with no chains and a lot lighter than us.

Hers - i3 4170, Asus z87 Gryphon, 16gb DDR3, Evga GTX 960 4gb, 120gb SSD, 1tb HDD, Seasonic 760, Corsair 100r

Last edited by josh1990; 18th April 2017 at 10:55 AM.
josh1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 19th April 2017, 8:09 AM   #32
GTR27 Thread Starter

Will probably get some at a Walmart or something then return them when we get to SF.

The big Volvo is seriously good. So comfy, plenty of guts, seems great on fuel. Adaptive cruise, lane assist etc I barely have to be awake to drive it.

Got passed by a cop on the way to San Diego, we were doing 75 in a 55 zone and he must have been doing 85. We were almost the slowest car on the freeway ha ha. Sit on 80 (130kph) worry and smooth
Old 19th April 2017, 8:33 PM   #33
clonex

Snowchains? you sure you didnt get lost in northern Norway

You going to checkout Mulholland drive and see some bikes?

Last edited by clonex; 19th April 2017 at 9:07 PM.
clonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 8:50 PM   #34
josh1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonex View Post

You going to checkout Mulholland drive and some bikes?
We didn't hire the chains for $50 because we weren't going anywhere that needed chains. Nek Minnut spending $70 on chains at Wal-Mart because the mountain passes from Reno to Sacramento required chains. We sat in traffic moving slowly for 3 hours, then got to chain control. People around us that had been waiting for hours with no chains were getting turned around . I would've been so mad if we hadn't of stopped at Wal-Mart after we saw the warnings of chain control x miles ahead and googled it. We hadn't even planned going to Reno, just a series of events that we ended up there.

Hers - i3 4170, Asus z87 Gryphon, 16gb DDR3, Evga GTX 960 4gb, 120gb SSD, 1tb HDD, Seasonic 760, Corsair 100r
Old 20th April 2017, 12:20 AM   #35
GTR27 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonex View Post

You going to checkout Mulholland drive and see some bikes?
Just a precaution, rather than expecting to need them.
Old 23rd April 2017, 2:15 PM   #36
GTR27 Thread Starter

Didn't bother getting them (chains) and don't need them.

Mammoth and lake Tahoe are simply amazing places.
Old 9th May 2017, 2:20 PM   #37
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Have driven around in traffic a bit today and damn la traffic is nuts. No one indicates, they cut in with no notice and everyone does 80+ in the left lane (fast). Getting used to not driving on there left side of the road/ right side of car
You get the cut ins and non indicators routinely in Aus, or anywhere for that matter, the biggest challenge I found was providing enough space on the right side of the car, so as not to hit parked cars. Quite a different experience. I was very nervous but I loved it.
Old 18th May 2017, 9:27 PM   #38
BillyBro

Looking forward to updates, Have pretty much the same road trip coming up in September, heading LA-SD-Tuscon-LV-Death Valley-Yosemite-SF-LA
Accomodation is booked bar the return stay in LA. Also need to hire a car as well.
BillyBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 8:30 AM   #39
josh1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBro View Post
Looking forward to updates, Have pretty much the same road trip coming up in September, heading LA-SD-Tuscon-LV-Death Valley-Yosemite-SF-LA
Accomodation is booked bar the return stay in LA. Also need to hire a car as well.
Did you want to stay in Hollywood? We were pleasantly surprised by the Hollywood La Brea Inn (www.hollywoodlabreainn.us). Surprisingly clean, polite Asian owners. This joint is all about the LOCATION (this is not a 5 star joint, we were on right budget).

There are definitely better places if you have the coin, but we used this as our L.A base as we couldn't park our camper anywhere else. This has free parking too. Free breakfast is shit. Pizza joint right next door is not bad, but cheesy. Warner Bros and Universal not far away by an Easy route.

Also, on your way to San Diego, so yourself a favour and drop into MicroCenter (around the OC). It is far from micro

Old 19th May 2017, 10:08 PM   #40
issh

Quote:
Have driven around in traffic a bit today and damn la traffic is nuts. No one indicates, they cut in with no notice and everyone does 80+ in the left lane (fast). Getting used to not driving on there left side of the road/ right side of car
Just came back from the states a month ago. Went SF-->Yosemite-->LA-->LV and experienced the exact same thing. The 101 in LA is just terrible, literally start-stop traffic; and it's nothing like Brisbane where the traffic is dense but short. LA traffic is dense and LONGGGG.

Also unlike Australia, cops don't even care if you drive 10 miles over the limit. Drove past plenty of cops on the sideway off the freeway going 80 in the 70 zone. Drivers over there are also very aggresive, and like you said don't indicate but also merge on the off-ramp at the very last second.

You'll find Yosemite simply amazing, the drive to and in the park is gorgeous - with plenty of stopping zones that allow you to take photos. We were lucky enough to stay in cabins right approximately 30 minutes from Yosemite Valley and thus was early enough to get 2 hikes before we left for LA. If you do plan to do some hikes, be sure to go quite early as parking spaces near the the visitor centre is very limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBro View Post
Also need to hire a car as well.
I would recommend http://www.rentalcars.com/au/ as they include insurance and zero excess when you rent cars from there.
issh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 10:43 AM   #41
Zee

[QUOTE=issh;17553113]Just came back from the states a month ago. Went SF-->Yosemite-->LA-->LV and experienced the exact same thing. The 101 in LA is just terrible, literally start-stop traffic; and it's nothing like Brisbane where the traffic is dense but short. LA traffic is dense and LONGGGG.
[/qote]
Try Manila - at any time!
Quote:
Also unlike Australia, cops don't even care if you drive 10 miles over the limit. Drove past plenty of cops on the sideway off the freeway going 80 in the 70 zone. Drivers over there are also very aggresive, and like you said don't indicate but also merge on the off-ramp at the very last second.
Generally, yeah... Though there is a ticket in my name that alleges I was doing 80 in a 70 zone somewhere the Bay Area. I've only been pulled over one other time in Vegas (45 in a 35 zone) and the cop just told me to slow down after seeing that I had an Aussie license (and I did).

Heading back again in July, looking forward to it as we're likely to go to New Orleans (GF's brother is training as a chef there), and hopefully, we'll be doing Cuba as well.

Z...