Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 16th May 2017, 8:08 PM   #7591
arc87

Has anyone had much to do with these before, Down the track I'd like to give C02 a go in the tank and get a good planted setup going.

Click to view full size!
arc87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 17th May 2017, 12:56 PM   #7592
fredhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc87 View Post
Has anyone had much to do with these before, Down the track I'd like to give C02 a go in the tank and get a good planted setup going.
Have a read over at The Planted Tank and The Barr Report. Lots of good info however note C02 is only one part of the equation - light, ferts and plant selection will determine whether additional C02 is required for your desired growth rate.

Optimus - hows the DSM going, did you get over the fungus? What is your plan for C02 when you transition from immersed to submersed?
Go soothingly on the grease mud as there lurks a skid demon.

Last edited by Ma Baker; 17th May 2017 at 4:02 PM. Reason: url fixed
fredhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 6:08 PM   #7593
holdennutta

Default General Aquarium Talk NO SELLING Swaps go in the Fish/Plant Swap Sticky

Oh for fucks sake.

Was going to return him tomorrow night too.

First fish death out of 22 fish aquired in the last 7mo.

Sorry little dude.
holdennutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 8:34 PM   #7594
arc87

Holdennutta have you got a preferred aquarium you purchase your fish from if your on the south side of Brisbane?
arc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 8:57 PM   #7595
holdennutta

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc87 View Post
Holdennutta have you got a preferred aquarium you purchase your fish from if your on the south side of Brisbane?

Annerley Aquarium gave me really good feelings when we bought our new 190L tank from them a month or so ago. I think I dealt with one of the owners though.

The second time we went there we dealt with some other guy who fucked up selling us the Clown Loach which dropped them in my opinion a little.

The other place we used when setting up our first little tank when we were gifted a Betta was Pet City. Haven't really been back since because it's a further away from home but I got the feeling they cared about their animals. Can't speak to their knowledge though (they didn't say anything that struck me as stupid though). I'm just starting out so not up to judging that yet
Old 19th May 2017, 4:23 PM   #7596
holdennutta

Took the advice in the thread about not bothering to replace the 38L tank with a 71L tank.

Today went and bought another identical 200L tank and stand from Annerley Aquarium to sit beside the other one instead

Bought different hardware this time though:

- Fluval 306 external filter
- PetWorx Multi-Spectrum LED light
- Eheim Jager 150W heater (same as other tank - couldn't find another I liked)
- Dark gravel
- Random plants

Going to stock this new tank with the contents of the 38L plus an additional 2 corys and maybe another few cardinal tetras.
Old 19th May 2017, 5:30 PM   #7597
fredhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdennutta View Post
Today went and bought another identical 200L tank and stand from Annerley Aquarium to sit beside the other one instead
I guess you didn't take the "avoid impulse purchases" advice? /jk Bloody MTS is contagious, next you'll be buying a 71L breeding/grow out tank because the 38L tank is busy with quarantine duties!
Old 19th May 2017, 5:36 PM   #7598
holdennutta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhoon View Post
I guess you didn't take the "avoid impulse purchases" advice? /jk Bloody MTS is contagious, next you'll be buying a 71L breeding/grow out tank because the 38L tank is busy with quarantine duties!
Nah, not impulse. I've been researching beast course of action for most of the week (a week is an extremely long time for me to go from thought to purchase!)

The 38L will go on gumtree or to a friend I think. I want to stay away from breeding side of things.

I decided that despite my desire for an enormous tank that could house ~30cm fish I don't have anywhere in my house where it would be possible to keep such a tank. I've just built this house so I'm not going to move for a fish tank, thus it was decided to just get as big as I had space left and enjoy what I've got

I gotta say, despite Eheim having a good and long history to its name the Fluval equipment feels about 20 years newer and the documentation is 10x better.
Old 19th May 2017, 6:53 PM   #7599
fredhoon

You should have built a 8ft tank 10ft tank (with 20,000L sump) into a feature wall, opportunity missed!
Old 19th May 2017, 6:56 PM   #7600
holdennutta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhoon View Post
You should have built a 8ft tank 10ft tank (with 20,000L sump) into a feature wall, opportunity missed!

Haha! So true! We weren't into the hobby back when we built the house.

Got forced into it when we were given a Betta in a vase as an engagement gift and I decided that wasn't a good environment for an animal and it all spiralled from there!

Currently washing gravel in the rain and dark. Love this shit ahaha.

Last edited by holdennutta; 19th May 2017 at 7:31 PM.
Old 19th May 2017, 7:27 PM   #7601
broccoli

On the one hand, I'm looking forward to seeing Holdennutta's setups, on the other I'm feeling like an enabler and wondering whether we should be holding an "intervention"

If you've got anywhere to stash it, keep the 38L as a quarantine/hospital tank. You will need one, and you do not want to have to rush to the shop when a fish turns poorly and you have to take him out of the big tank to look after him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
don't connect via usb, since that is the devil.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 8:12 PM   #7602
t00ch

38L would be a good size for a shrimp tank HN, just saying
t00ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 1:08 AM   #7603
holdennutta

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
On the one hand, I'm looking forward to seeing Holdennutta's setups, on the other I'm feeling like an enabler and wondering whether we should be holding an "intervention"

If you've got anywhere to stash it, keep the 38L as a quarantine/hospital tank. You will need one, and you do not want to have to rush to the shop when a fish turns poorly and you have to take him out of the big tank to look after him.
Yeah, fair point. Do you need to keep hospital tanks running? Or you can you just pull them out when needed and fill?

My setups wont be particularly flashy I feel. I'm not very arty at the best of times let alone something new like this!

Enable away, this fish thing is fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t00ch View Post
38L would be a good size for a shrimp tank HN, just saying
Don't tempt me...

So this is the last pic I thought to take before I killed the tank lights for the night (and the Corys really don't like sudden and repeated light changes so not turning back on for pics :P) :

Tangle of wires is being taken care of tomorrow.

Left tank is stocked with:
  • 20x Neon Tetra
  • 2x Bristlenose

There'll be some more flashy fish to come once I research something that will fit the tank/community etc. No rush. The 20x Neons are really fun to watch and the bristlenose are extremely amusing.

Right tanks stocked with:
  • 1x Betta Male
  • 5x Cardinal Tetra
  • 3x Schwartz Corydoras
  • 2x Panda Corydoras

The 2 species of Cory will join up apparently which is good. They already seem comfortable in close proximity. The Pandas seem extremely small so they must be very young.

Now that we have the tank size I think we'll add 5 more cardinals and leave it at that until the betta expires. It's the sole remaining example of the Bettas from this fish shop my fiance's friend got it from so the odds are not in his favour

I may transplant a bristlenose if algae becomes a thing.

So now I've set up two identical tanks with two different filters I've made some observations and comparisons.

Left tank is running an Eheim Classic 2213 which is rated for 250L and cost about somewhere between $250 and $280 but I can't remember.

Right tank is running a Fluval 306 which is rated for 300L and cost $225.

The Fluval beats the Eheim in every single way for me EXCEPT the hose arrangement. Where the Eheim uses nice 12/16mm piping in a cool green colour and is flexible and easy to route the Fluval uses painfully inflexible pipe similar to what comes out of the washing machine outlet. It has weird twists and a large minimum radius for corners. It was extremely hard to work with compared to the regular Eheim stuff. Due to the spliney nature of it all the joins between sections need to be under water so air doesn't enter. Added complexity!

On the subject of the hoses the Eheim has an awesome trick where the inlet hose (and outlet for that matter) has a splittable double ball valve. So you can close both valves, split them apart and then use the valve on the inlet pipe as a hose pipe as it's retained the siphon and you can easily do your water changes like this. Very simple. The Fluval also has valves but it's a integrated arrangement and doesn't seem to allow you to take advantage of the siphon. It'll be the old school gravel vac style water changes on this tank

The Fluval actually has individual compartments for each stage of filtration where the Eheim just stacks on top of each other and you have to manually sort them when you clean.

Fluval has a superior clamping mechanism and seal between the pump and the canister. Feels substantial and is a tight seal. Eheim is a bunch of flimsy feeling metal latches and a much less bitey rubber seal.

Fluval has a priming plunger. I went from nothing and pipes with air to an effective siphon filling the canister with three pumps of it! I had a disadvantage when setting up the Eheim as it was my first ever canister filter and wasn't familiar with it and achieving that first siphon to fill the canister took me ages. I do complicated things for a living and I this took far longer than it should despite the manual being beside me. I believe I ended up achieving the siphon in some odd way no in the manual and not the extremely simple way I saw demonstrated on youtube the other day. Now I know it's easy as. But that newbie initial setup sucked.

Fluval manual is well illustrated and written in a much easier to follow fashion. Much more explanation of the features and operation of the system as well.

Fluval has a flow control valve as well to adjust the flow which is nice. It was nice to be able to shut the flow down really quick as I noticed my betta suspiciously moving backwards in the direction of the intake strainer. No control for the Eheim.

Eheim seems to be a lot quieter though. Fluval has only been running a few hours so I believe it will get a bit quieter eventually but at the moment it reminds me distinctly of an old fridge. Not too loud and not problematic but obvious.

So yeah, I think the Fluval wins for me at this point.

Probably enough typing for 1am... Just wanted to get some thoughts out as I just finished the set up.

Last edited by holdennutta; 20th May 2017 at 1:11 AM.
Old 20th May 2017, 10:01 AM   #7604
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdennutta View Post
Yeah, fair point. Do you need to keep hospital tanks running? Or you can you just pull them out when needed and fill?
For that size, you'd probably need to keep it running, it'd take ages to heat up. You really need somewhere up and running to move somebody straight away if there's a fight and somebody gets hurt of you get somebody looking "contagious". I had a tiny (tiny) little thing I could pull out as needed, but that wasn't used for quarantine where you need a decent size. Sticking new fish into a tiny thing isn't going to help their stress levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
don't connect via usb, since that is the devil.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 11:30 AM   #7605
MUTMAN

HN readup on the golden triangle ratio for placement of the plants.
taller plants to the back. shorter to the mid and front.
have a single feature. rock wood plant doesnt matter. just a single focus point

your enthusiasm is contagious
MUTMAN is online now   Reply With Quote