Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Portable & Small Form Factor

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 20th May 2017, 7:03 AM   #16
Stooge007 Thread Starter

would i notice much difference between an i3 and an N3700 processor?

www.precisetaxsolutions.com.au
Stooge007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 20th May 2017, 10:24 AM   #17
Narcoticx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooge007 View Post
would i notice much difference between an i3 and an N3700 processor?
Yes, if this is the choice you have, go for the i3.
Old 20th May 2017, 11:24 AM   #18
Stooge007 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcoticx2 View Post
Yes, if this is the choice you have, go for the i3.
probably $100-150 difference (~ 20%) between the two though

Old 20th May 2017, 11:42 AM   #19
Bold Eagle

SSD>CPU>RAM.

With that being noted it depends how much RAM the Laptop has - if it was only 2GB then more RAM (at least 4GB) would make a big difference. If you can aim for 'dual channel DDR4' RAM for the best performance.

Considering your task (Xero and Office 365) an i3 (what Gen?!?) would be greater than the N3700:
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentiu...l-Core-i3-6100
Old 20th May 2017, 1:20 PM   #20
Wet Sandwich

SSD for sure.

A mechanical hard drive is very noticable, it just grinds and chugs away for several seconds to open a folder, browser, program, anything. SSD - instant.

You do need minimum i3, preferably i5.
i5 is easily achievable in your budget.

I got a gaming laptop with i5/12gb/256SSD/geforce940 for about $900 off amazon 6 months ago - anything without the graphics should surely cost several hundred less than that.
Wet Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 1:37 PM   #21
breech

Check out Asus F555U refurbs from IJK or similar, one of the i7 variants, 8gb. swap mechanical hdd to ssd if not provided. My machine was in perfect condition, and came with upgrades. only con: screen is a bit pixelated, but you get that on cheap wide laptops.

aim for > i7-6500U

i think this is close to what i got.

Last edited by breech; 20th May 2017 at 2:14 PM.
breech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 8:37 PM   #22
Narcoticx2

Quote:
probably $100-150 difference (~ 20%) between the two though
Okay, you need to give us more information. You're trickling bits to us.

What i3? What laptops are you looking at?
How much ram?
What hard drives?

We're spending the time here to help you, please do the same for us and give us a bit more information to work with?
Old 21st May 2017, 7:20 AM   #23
Reaper

Buy a surface pro. Claim it back on tax as a depreciating asset.
_____|__||__|_____ ---||---------||---
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 8:13 AM   #24
Stooge007 Thread Starter

Quote:
Okay, you need to give us more information. You're trickling bits to us.

What i3? What laptops are you looking at?
How much ram?
What hard drives?

We're spending the time here to help you, please do the same for us and give us a bit more information to work with?
sorry

looking at this https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...1br-sl14ip100s @ $547 - 14", N3700, 4gb, 128gb SSD, Win10

has the N3700

or something like this https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...0tu-hp14am080t @ $697 - 14", i5, 4gb, 128gb SSD, Win10

but this is i5

also considering a refurb like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182487594...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT @ $549 plus $15 post - 13.3", i5, 4gb, 128gb SSD, Win10

again, an i5

or this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201792582...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT @ $550 (20% off graysonline at the moment) - 15.6", i7, 4gb, 750gb HDD

only thing that is turning me off this one is it's not Win10, plus i'd need to upgrade to SSD

EDIT -

or this http://www.reboot-it.com.au/used-del...top-cheap.html with an upgrade to 8gb for $46 extra looks good for my needs? ($365 - 12.5", i3, 8gb, 128gb SSD)

don't need an i5 i don't think, pretty much ticks all the boxes, but slightly smaller screen @ 12.5"

or this http://www.reboot-it.com.au/used-del...top-cheap.html but only has Win7 ($575 - 14", i7, 8gb, 256gb SSD)

or this looks good http://www.reboot-it.com.au/used-hp-...top-cheap.html but again only Win7 ($469 - 14", i7, 8gb, 180gb SSD)

this is probably leading the race right now http://www.reboot-it.com.au/used-tos...top-cheap.html ($365 - 13.3", i5, 8gb, 256gb SSD, Win10)

Last edited by Stooge007; 21st May 2017 at 8:36 AM.
Old 21st May 2017, 9:03 AM   #25
Bold Eagle

You haven't noted the Gen of the CPU's in your assessment - that makes a massive difference!

I wouldn't buy a 1st Gen - no-one would - good effort but lacking the most critical detail!

Frankly I could build a NUC cheaper than your 'best' suggestion with the J3455 CPU in it (NUC would need to be plugged into a TV or monitor).

Buggered If I would pay $319 for a refurbed 'govt Laptop' with a 3rd Gen CPU - that's worth $10.

Last edited by Bold Eagle; 21st May 2017 at 9:21 AM.
Bold Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 9:15 AM   #26
theyesmen

The only problem I see with SSD generation laptops is the limited space as opposed to traditional mechanical hard drives.

It really comes down to what you are using the system for. I have a work supplied laptop and the SSD drive in it is only 32GB. Tiny. Windows 10 installation does chew up most of the space on it, but it still has more than enough free space for some office files for work on the go. For everything else, I just plug in the external hard drive which gives you the instant 1TB boost needed for more serious work.

For myself, I like a careful balance between SSD <> CPU <> RAM. Get a nice balance between all three major area of components and you will have a nice performing system. If you focus on one specific area of components, then you're really going to notice the part of the system that is not so fast and will just result in you getting annoyed all the time.
theyesmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 1:24 PM   #27
Narcoticx2

From your suggested usage, and from the specs, either of the refurbs will get you through. 4GB ram will probably be enough, too, so don't stress about getting that upgraded.

The i3 4010U cpu is fine, geared towards decent performance but also good battery life.

The i5 3320m is a standard mobile processor, so unless the portege has a bigger battery then you're going to get less life out of it. It is, however, a fair bit faster.

4GB ram gets me through fine at work with Xero, MYOB (cloud and local), spreadsheets, all other office apps, emails etc.

Either SSD will be fine.
Old 21st May 2017, 2:32 PM   #28
Stooge007 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
You haven't noted the Gen of the CPU's in your assessment - that makes a massive difference!

I wouldn't buy a 1st Gen - no-one would - good effort but lacking the most critical detail!

Frankly I could build a NUC cheaper than your 'best' suggestion with the J3455 CPU in it (NUC would need to be plugged into a TV or monitor).

Buggered If I would pay $319 for a refurbed 'govt Laptop' with a 3rd Gen CPU - that's worth $10.
need it to be mobile, to take out to clients, so a NUC probly won't suffice

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyesmen View Post
The only problem I see with SSD generation laptops is the limited space as opposed to traditional mechanical hard drives.

It really comes down to what you are using the system for. I have a work supplied laptop and the SSD drive in it is only 32GB. Tiny. Windows 10 installation does chew up most of the space on it, but it still has more than enough free space for some office files for work on the go. For everything else, I just plug in the external hard drive which gives you the instant 1TB boost needed for more serious work.

For myself, I like a careful balance between SSD <> CPU <> RAM. Get a nice balance between all three major area of components and you will have a nice performing system. If you focus on one specific area of components, then you're really going to notice the part of the system that is not so fast and will just result in you getting annoyed all the time.
won't be storing anything big on the SSD, everything's "in the cloud"

Quote:
From your suggested usage, and from the specs, either of the refurbs will get you through. 4GB ram will probably be enough, too, so don't stress about getting that upgraded.

The i3 4010U cpu is fine, geared towards decent performance but also good battery life.

The i5 3320m is a standard mobile processor, so unless the portege has a bigger battery then you're going to get less life out of it. It is, however, a fair bit faster.

4GB ram gets me through fine at work with Xero, MYOB (cloud and local), spreadsheets, all other office apps, emails etc.

Either SSD will be fine.
thanks mate, think i'll just go for the Portege i suppose

may as well upgrade to 8gb, only $45 more

batteries seem to be fairly readily available off ebay too, for ~ $30-40 so that's no biggie

cheers all

Old 26th May 2017, 11:26 AM   #29
Stooge007 Thread Starter

so the Toshiba Portege R930 arrived yesterday (i5 3320m, 250gb SSD, 8gb RAM, Win10 64)

only got a chance to have a little play last night

physical condition is pretty good, only minor gripe is the "R" key on the keyboard is on a bit of a tilt, but still works 100%

in terms of speed, it's plenty fast enough for what i need it for

any must have programs for a new laptop?

anything else i should test thoroughly? they have a change of mind policy, subject to a 15% restocking fee

cheers all

Old 26th May 2017, 11:54 AM   #30
Narcoticx2

Quote:
so the Toshiba Portege R930 arrived yesterday (i5 3320m, 250gb SSD, 8gb RAM, Win10 64)

only got a chance to have a little play last night

physical condition is pretty good, only minor gripe is the "R" key on the keyboard is on a bit of a tilt, but still works 100%

in terms of speed, it's plenty fast enough for what i need it for

any must have programs for a new laptop?

anything else i should test thoroughly? they have a change of mind policy, subject to a 15% restocking fee

cheers all
How's the battery life?

I'd give it a clean install of windows 10 and then hit up ninite.com for your installers and runtimes