Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Portable & Small Form Factor

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 7th June 2017, 1:36 AM   #1936
Ratzz

Just a test bed. This was going to be my Ryzen toy but I've gone off the idea of Ryzen now. It's designed to take a mATX board (B150M placeholder), with full sized modular PSU (Silverstone 600w Placeholder) and watercooling (Corsair H60 AIO, chosen because it comes with AM4 brackets ) I'll probably go with an SFX-L PSU, the modular cables on this one make it a bit cramped under the H60.

The 15" TV runs on 12v/3A so the power wire has been modified to molex and plugged into the PSU I've used a 500mm HDMI cable to hook it up to the onboard graphics at the moment.

The B150M has the facility for an M.2 wireless setup, but its not included. I tried recycling the wireless from a dead MSI board, its identical, but the wireless wires are broken. I'll finish up replaced the dual band wifi dongle you see in the pic with a proper wireless setup, IF I keep this board, which is unlikely.

It currently runs a G4400 (again, just a placeholder) along with a single 4G stick of Geil 2400 just to make it run. Likewise, a cheap 120G SSD is located under the H60, which has the stock Corsair fan under it, with a grill to protect it from wiring, hoses etc, and exhausting air from the case.

It only requires a single 240v cord to leave the case. That's it running over the front of the case in this pic, it has a sideways entry into the back of the PSU to give me clearance for the H60 without having to cut a hole in the outside of the case for the cord.

Everything else connected and ready to rock. No external vents or access, opening the case provides everything. I'll cover whatever finishes up under there in some nice mesh to make it look better.

Of course the secret to this case having some grunt relies on the pictured 200mm Thermaltake shielded 16x-16x riser cable ($39 ). I haven't chosen a GPU yet, if I see the right 1080 or 1080Ti come up for sale Ill probably grab one. Of course it will be an aircooled card, and as compact as possible. Another option is a 1070 mini I think.

The final machine will come down to how well Threadripper vs X299 works out, and how Vega vs Volta works out.

I haven't actually worked out what the point of this build is at the moment. It would be a great LAN box, but I've never even been to a LAN party The screen is too small for daily use. It has no battery so not really a laptop.

But I like it.

My Rig

Last edited by Ratzz; 7th June 2017 at 1:43 AM.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th June 2017, 9:36 AM   #1937
TheWatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki_Neko View Post
I wanted to get a mini, but 270x had just come out and there were no boards at the time from my vendors.
Besides wasn't too enthused about not having 4 channels for ram.
Ended up grabbing a sugo
Which model did you get?
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 11:21 AM   #1938
Turbine

I've been planning a tiny SFF build for a while to replace my ageing Sandybridge build. http://imgur.com/liWJZ

It has been a throwup between Dancase / Dr Zaber and NFC S4 mini. Mostly coming down to who will be the easiest to actually get a product from.

Damn HDPlex released a 400w version of their PSU with a better layout for the NFC S4 Mini...then Josh also announced a production run in September.
Bit the bullet and bought both.

Waiting game begins!

I hope something new is released before then. x299 itx + lower tier cpu + 1080ti mini would be awesome.
Old 9th June 2017, 9:53 PM   #1939
terrastrife

Can someone recommend a quiet SFX PSU? I'm on my second SX700LPT and they're both horrendous.
terrastrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 11:41 AM   #1940
TheWatcher

I think Corsair SF450 and SF600 are well regarded.
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 7:49 PM   #1941
Paulie_AU

I have a Corsair SF450 I have never heard.
Paulie_AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 1:44 PM   #1942
Dingostolemyghz

I've got the SF600, great little unit. If I had my time again I would've saved myself some bucks and got the SF450.

Under load it's not perfectly silent if I put my ear near it, but still very quiet, quieter than anything else in my system.
Dingostolemyghz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 9:22 AM   #1943
Scandrew

Ok, so I made a rookie error.

I'm currently running a Fractal Nano S (ITX) case. I recently purchased a new GPU and after attempting to install it realised it actually takes up 2.5 slots (case can only accomodate a 2 slot GPU) causing it to foul with the bottom mounted PSU so I can't actually mount it.

Now the options are to either buy a larger Fractal Mini C (mATX) case or install a SFX PSU. What would you guys do? Are SFX PSU's just as reliable/efficient as normal ATX PSUs?
Scandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM   #1944
terrastrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandrew View Post
Ok, so I made a rookie error.

I'm currently running a Fractal Nano S (ITX) case. I recently purchased a new GPU and after attempting to install it realised it actually takes up 2.5 slots (case can only accomodate a 2 slot GPU) causing it to foul with the bottom mounted PSU so I can't actually mount it.

Now the options are to either buy a larger Fractal Mini C (mATX) case or install a SFX PSU. What would you guys do? Are SFX PSU's just as reliable/efficient as normal ATX PSUs?
Only real issue with SFX is noise. The smaller size will give your GPU more room to breathe either way. Make sure to get the offset mounting plate that Silverstone sell.
I've gone through two SX700LPT (700W Platinum) and the fan profile is horrible compared to the 80mm non -L versions. While spinning it's quieter, but the ramping up and down is annoying af.

I would get the Mini C, it's the same footprint so doesn't take any more desk space.
terrastrife is offline   Reply With Quote