Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 23rd August 2014, 1:40 PM   #7981
sskmercer

Hey t8y, I was thinking of staying in Enthusiast for a bit longer and cement a top #10 spot, as I did make into the 10 but a couple of others have since jumped me.

In saying that though, it was only one session (+ the SS stuff) and I'm hooked and it seems to much hassle benching the cold (holding the scores) and going back to water just to stay in enthusiast (without cheating).

As for cold on RAM I have a KP pot but no plates (hope that makes sense) and unlike VCORE it's limited to 2.3v, so I assume going cold on memory is more about COLD scaling? As for mounting the pot how? (at wrk so I cant really check how it's set up).
sskmercer is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 23rd August 2014, 2:08 PM   #7982
t8y

just sit the pot on top.
you could smear a heap of paste on the top of the sticks (if they have heatspreaders) or bottom of the pot itself, to improve contact.

on the off chance you are using samsung ram subzero they wont like much cold (but dont mind a bit)

2.3v max will be fine with the PSC, you wont push them that hard anyway.
when its cold you will find its more efficient with the volts, eg (rough example to prove a point) you may top out at 2600c8 1.9v on ambient, but the same 1.9v with a full pot of dice will do 2666c7, or something

play around and see, really only suggestion is perhaps just start with all auto subtimings and get the speeds and primary CAS trained in first, then go from there
Old 23rd August 2014, 3:39 PM   #7983
newlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8y View Post
Hit up newlife, think he still has my old Kayl pot, likely quite cheap..
Thing was great for dice

Otherwise when dice isn't an option a rad submerged in an esky of ice water works OK and still rookie/enthusiasts league legal
I think I'm missing some nuts from the ek base but I'll have a look and yeah it's pretty good dice
newlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 3:59 PM   #7984
t8y

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlife View Post
I think I'm missing some nuts from the ek base but I'll have a look and yeah it's pretty good dice
well any waterblock backplate will do i guess
worst case, whoever takes it off you likely has something they can use

i lost the original one so i gave you my EK supremacy backplate, since i just use a kingpin backplate for everything now

Last edited by t8y; 23rd August 2014 at 4:10 PM.
t8y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 5:20 PM   #7985
headin2001

So tonight is my last night in the rookie league.

Think I've done pretty well considering I haven't had the best hardware for the most part. Overall, I've managed to be top ten in the past 2 rookie rumbles, and currently #3 in Rookie #8.

Hopefully that doesn't change in the next few hours as I have nothing left in the gear I have.

#6 rookie overall and pretty chuffed about it. Just wish I had more time to improve. Thanks to everyone in here for your guidance, you have all been a great inspiration. Ready for the next league and improvements all round.

Best of luck in yours JunkDogg.
headin2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 5:45 PM   #7986
JunkDogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by headin2001 View Post
So tonight is my last night in the rookie league.

Think I've done pretty well considering I haven't had the best hardware for the most part. Overall, I've managed to be top ten in the past 2 rookie rumbles, and currently #3 in Rookie #8.

Hopefully that doesn't change in the next few hours as I have nothing left in the gear I have.

#6 rookie overall and pretty chuffed about it. Just wish I had more time to improve. Thanks to everyone in here for your guidance, you have all been a great inspiration. Ready for the next league and improvements all round.

Best of luck in yours JunkDogg.
Well done mate on getting to 3rd.

It's a bit hard when the guy leading comes out of nowhere with a Prime score equal and/or better than what guys got in our comp on a SS.

It's a shame he uses the same photo of his rig for every different version of motherboard and CPU combo.

I'm not accusing the guy of anything but I can speculate.

Some of his scores are incredible and a great effort if that's what results he's getting.

Good luck in the next league and I'll see you there shortly.

Thanks too mate. Only a few hours to go and the poor guy from England that was giving me a run as killed his chip so hopefully. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by JunkDogg; 23rd August 2014 at 5:47 PM.
JunkDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 7:44 PM   #7987
Bullants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskmercer View Post
Hey t8y, I was thinking of staying in Enthusiast for a bit longer and cement a top #10 spot, as I did make into the 10 but a couple of others have since jumped me.

In saying that though, it was only one session (+ the SS stuff) and I'm hooked and it seems to much hassle benching the cold (holding the scores) and going back to water just to stay in enthusiast (without cheating).

As for cold on RAM I have a KP pot but no plates (hope that makes sense) and unlike VCORE it's limited to 2.3v, so I assume going cold on memory is more about COLD scaling? As for mounting the pot how? (at wrk so I cant really check how it's set up).
Yeah it will be rare to find a kit of PSC that do 2.3v,most lower binned kits may top out at 2.15-2.18v they'll go higher if you set higher but they'll cause your 32m to fail quickly.The gigabyte result I posted recently was at 2.21v,this kit as the few of my cold kits aren't great air kits,tuning the other 3-4 volts setting will determine your dram volts as well.

Temps will play huge part as well on the scaling of the memory, freq,timings,also be mindful of volts your using if temps aren't that cold
Bullants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 9:51 PM   #7988
sskmercer

Thanks for the tips Bull. Most likely just going to play with my 4340 and see how it goes and probably another good chip to learn on.

In regards to temps where's the best place to put the probe for ram? Also how important is it to VAS up the sticks under the heat spreaders.
Old 23rd August 2014, 11:04 PM   #7989
JunkDogg

2nd one in the bag.
Old 23rd August 2014, 11:05 PM   #7990
sskmercer

Sweet. Well done mate.
Old 23rd August 2014, 11:06 PM   #7991
JunkDogg

Thanks mate.

Just got to decide on whether to give the AM1 chips a bit more of a go or back to the G3258's for some more fun.
Old 23rd August 2014, 11:59 PM   #7992
sskmercer

Do both, just alternate every now and then.

Still haven't got the DICE setup, being trying to roll back the bios to X05 from f9c and no luck so far. So will stay with the awesome f9c and see what this little 4340 can do @-70c .
Old 24th August 2014, 12:33 AM   #7993
sskmercer

Hey guys, just a quick one. What services do you need running (XP) for GTL to work.
Old 24th August 2014, 1:12 AM   #7994
t8y

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskmercer View Post
Hey guys, just a quick one. What services do you need running (XP) for GTL to work.
it has a file named something like "setupICCS", you may need to run that before running GTL?

besides that i'm fairly sure it runs with everything off
Old 24th August 2014, 1:18 AM   #7995
JunkDogg

What's GTL?