Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Other Toys/Hobbies

Notices

Old 14th August 2017, 9:39 AM   #1576
EvilGenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
Oh yes, that's it for sure. I'm not using it to candle eggs.
Hmm, torch Coppie recommended is probably overkill for that, might even cook your eggs lol. It's a good torch though and you won't need to run it on high power, battery should last you 30+hrs between charges.

Just be aware you need to buy the batteries and a charger to go with it. I might recommend something like this instead which you can charge with micro USB: https://www.ledtorchshop.com.au/jetb...00-lumens.html. On the brightness front it's even more overkill, but no faffing about with external battery chargers.
Wanted - N64 console - decent controller/s
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 10:01 AM   #1577
broccoli

Thanks. The torch I linked to is fine for white shells, not good enough for blue.

I wish the lens surround was flat though - why are they "up and down" like that?

Jaycar's got one for $60, I might have a look at that. I really don't want to spend lots, it's a one-off (or a not-very-often-off). Hundreds of bucks for 15 minutes use is slightly overkill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 10:41 AM   #1578
EvilGenius

Quote:
Thanks. The torch I linked to is fine for white shells, not good enough for blue.

I wish the lens surround was flat though - why are they "up and down" like that?

Jaycar's got one for $60, I might have a look at that. I really don't want to spend lots, it's a one-off (or a not-very-often-off). Hundreds of bucks for 15 minutes use is slightly overkill.
The 'up and down' bit is a 'tactical assault crown' wank wank wank. Everyone does it because everyone does it. If you ever feel the need to smash your way through a glass window or door you can use the crown of your torch as a glass breaker though

If you go to jaycar just be aware you're going to pay 50% of the price of one of the ones already linked to for a torch that cost more like $15-$20 out of china, like this one http://www.dx.com/p/warsun-ct9t-1198...1-18650-426802
Old 14th August 2017, 1:50 PM   #1579
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
ever feel the need to smash your way through a glass window or door you can use the crown of your torch as a glass breaker though
oh, I've just had the fellow at the shop tell me it was for hitting people on the head.... Breaking windows instead of heads makes more sense.

I didn't end up going to Jaycar. I rang up Wellington Surplus and they told me they were closing down, so I moseyed on in for a look-see. Ended up getting this one called Fenix, model TK41. Looks ok to me, hopefully it's good and I'll be able to see my babies and I didn't get totally ripped off. I ended up grabbing it because is uses ordinary AA batteries, which is probably more sensible for me seeing as I probably won't be using it much. By the time you added the other batteries, and charger, the price of the others kept going way up.

(anyone in Perth, lots of gear on sale, I got some new jeans for half-price)

Thanks all!
Quote:
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.

Last edited by broccoli; 14th August 2017 at 1:52 PM.
Old 14th August 2017, 3:20 PM   #1580
EvilGenius

You've done well You are going to need to use rechargeable batteries with that one though. It uses digital switches to control brightness and mode, and has a memory to make sure it always switches on to the mode you used last. Unfortunately it uses battery power to do it.

4x eneloops to the rescue
Old 14th August 2017, 3:31 PM   #1581
broccoli

Thanks, I'm glad I didn't snaffle a complete dud.
Quote:
4x eneloops to the rescue
Believe it or not, it takes 8.

I'm not fussed, I've already got shitloads of rechargeable batteries. Just got to remember to charge the little buggers.
Quote:
Old 14th August 2017, 3:34 PM   #1582
EvilGenius

Quote:
Thanks, I'm glad I didn't snaffle a complete dud.
Believe it or not, it takes 8.

I'm not fussed, I've already got shitloads of rechargeable batteries. Just got to remember to charge the little buggers.
Oh well there you go lol. I didn't look at the pics closely enough :O

Yeah I might recommend dropping the tail cap off this one when you're not using it for a while, 8 batteries is a lot to have to keep charged up, would be a real pain in the backside needing to use it and discovering it's run itself flat since you last touched it. I imagine having to set the right mode again would be a lot less frustrating
Old 14th August 2017, 4:36 PM   #1583
NanoDuke

This here says it can take 4 in an emergency, and that your plain ol' alkalines are fine, too
https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-tk41c-led-flashlight/

*EDIT* That link is for a TK41C. Not sure what the difference is. Be sure to do your own reading on your specific model
Old 14th August 2017, 4:40 PM   #1584
broccoli

Quote:
Yeah I might recommend dropping the tail cap off this one when you're not using it for a while
Yup. It's less than 3 weeks and then I won't need it, so I'll remove the batteries then. Because they're the same batteries in my mice and remotes and "stuff", the batteries for it won't just need to be charged for a torch I'm not using, which that other type would have to be. It shouldn't be difficult to whack some in if/when I want to use it again. I think I'm better off with ordinary batteries, and it's good that they're not C or D which I don't use for other stuff and don't have lying about for when they wear out.
Quote:
Old 14th August 2017, 5:37 PM   #1585
xtreme2k

Ever since I bought my first "proper" LED touch 5 years ago,link, fast forward a few years I now have totally become a nitecore fan and now spent hundreds of dollars on this 'hobby'.

Here's the models and the reasons why I bought these. Do we need a reason?
MT26 - original purchase, an eye-opener with 800lm and the world of 18650s
SRT7 - infinitely variable output and coloured LED 960lm
P36 - MT-G2 LED giving a very neutral(warm) tone and 2000 lm.
MH20 - great pocket-able touch with about 1000 lm - great for travel
TM03 CRI - having the high CRI version (XHP 70) gave a much better rendition of colour and 2600lm
TIP - fits on a keychain 360lm one of the best (got the Christmas edition)
SRT9 - got a great deal on Gearbest (approx AUD120) just received today, XHP50 LED, 2000lm and infinitely variable brightness and coloured LED.

Last edited by xtreme2k; 14th August 2017 at 5:39 PM.
xtreme2k is offline   Reply With Quote