Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Other Toys/Hobbies

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2nd February 2013, 8:11 PM   #31
Hyena
Member
 
Hyena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Shire
Posts: 90
Default

Anyone in Sydney (south east) got a multirotor setup and want to meet up to do some video work ?
I tried my hand at making my own quad, did all the research and made up one with HK parts that should have been good for FPV and aerial photography. After fiddling with 1000 settings I just couldnt get it to fly stable enough though. And that was before I even dared strap my gopro on (currently on my 3rd gopro after other action related mishaps!)
I'm thinking about getting something a bit more RTF like the ideafly Ifly-4 and then upgrading if necessary. Although apparently they're take a gopro out of the box

I make hotted up electric bikes and want to do some aerial work to compliment some of the other shots I've been doing. But I've realised I cant ride and pilot at the same time so I'll need a 2nd person!

Ie stuff like this (action starts at 45 sec)
http://youtu.be/xqvFqAb05xs?t=43s
__________________
Hyena Electric Bikes.com
High performance electric bike kits
Hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 8:54 PM   #32
CQGLHyperion
Member
 
CQGLHyperion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: North Rockhampton
Posts: 1,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
snip
movie
So how much is your whole setup worth?

What sort of runtime and range do you get?
__________________
BIG RIG: I7-980, P6X58D-E, 6 x 2GB CM3X2G1333C9, HD7970 DCUII TOP, 240GB Evo 840 ssd, 4 x 300GB Velociraptor, Xonar D2X, Lian-Li Red Spider
Trades: Web page coming soon!
CQGLHyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 9:00 PM   #33
Hyena
Member
 
Hyena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Shire
Posts: 90
Default

You don't want to know!
That's an 8 grand ebike before you even start, and nothing much is standard on it any ore. But you could convert an existing good quality downhill bike (or similar) for $2-3k depending on what sort of performance you want.
Range varies from 30-80km depending on how you ride. Ride like a dirt bike = less, ride like a mountain bike with assistance = more.
Check out my youtube channel, there's a heap more vids and info on there. Or we can start another ebike thread to keep this one on topic.
__________________
Hyena Electric Bikes.com
High performance electric bike kits
Hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 10:33 PM   #34
sgtraven Thread Starter
Member
 
sgtraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vic, Glenroy
Posts: 3,041
Default

Ouch, i feel your pain....
__________________
Beaver of the Aussie Pitmasters Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETARD View Post
fap intensely over your uber manliness
sgtraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 9:37 AM   #35
Billzilla
Member
 
Billzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 2,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQGLHyperion View Post
So how much is your whole setup worth?

What sort of runtime and range do you get?
I don't like to think about it, but it'd have to be over $1500 odd.
With the 3300 mah 4S battery it'll be good for nearly seven minutes flight time. With the 8000 mah 4S it'll go for about thirteen minutes.
The FPV gear uses 5.8 ghz and the signal gets interference from .... everything. I've had it out to nearly 400 metres in clear air and it was still pretty usable, I reckon it'd go a bit further if I had somewhere I could fly it with more space. They reckon it'll go a full kilometre but I wouldn't think so.
The RC gear is also reckoned to go a full kilometre without any trouble.
__________________
www.billzilla.org
Billzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:56 PM   #36
sgtraven Thread Starter
Member
 
sgtraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vic, Glenroy
Posts: 3,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
I don't like to think about. it, but it'd have to be over $1500 odd.
With the 3300 mah 4S battery it'll be good for nearly seven minutes flight time. With the 8000 mah 4S it'll go for about thirteen minutes.
The FPV gear uses 5.8 ghz and the signal gets interference from .... everything. I've had it out to nearly 400 metres in clear air and it was still pretty usable, I reckon it'd go a bit further if I had somewhere I could fly it with more space. They reckon it'll go a full kilometre but I wouldn't think so.
The RC gear is also reckoned to go a full kilometre without any trouble.
You can go for a lower hz transmitter for more range.
There's heaps of gear you can use for getting up to 7k.
I have a guy asking me to build 5x wookong s800 with a working range of 2km. That wouldn't be impossible.

Clover leaf antenna, directional tracking base stations ect ect
__________________
Beaver of the Aussie Pitmasters Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETARD View Post
fap intensely over your uber manliness
sgtraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 1:51 PM   #37
Billzilla
Member
 
Billzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 2,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtraven View Post
You can go for a lower hz transmitter for more range.
There's heaps of gear you can use for getting up to 7k.
I have a guy asking me to build 5x wookong s800 with a working range of 2km. That wouldn't be impossible.

Clover leaf antenna, directional tracking base stations ect ect
Yep.
I don't plan on needing a long range, but certainly less loss of signal around objects would be really nice.
__________________
www.billzilla.org
Billzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 2:34 PM   #38
sgtraven Thread Starter
Member
 
sgtraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vic, Glenroy
Posts: 3,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
Yep.
I don't plan on needing a long range, but certainly less loss of signal around objects would be really nice.
try a cloverleaft antenna and directional antenna on the fatsharks, theres a guy at arkrc that is getting good range with this setup.

also mount the antenna on perspex mount away from the GPS and ESC's
__________________
Beaver of the Aussie Pitmasters Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETARD View Post
fap intensely over your uber manliness
sgtraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 3:09 PM   #39
Sledge
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 6,251
Default

why such poor battery life?
Is that normal time frame?
Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 3:36 PM   #40
Hyena
Member
 
Hyena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Shire
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
With the 3300 mah 4S battery it'll be good for nearly seven minutes flight time. With the 8000 mah 4S it'll go for about thirteen minutes.
Sounds like the power:weight ratio is starting to become unfavourable with the larger battery. Have you had a play with this calculator ?
http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm?ecalc

A mate and I both build quads around the same time. He went with bigger motors and ESCs and 4S higher capacity vs my 3S lower capacity battery (both nanotechs) but everything else about the same. His run time was significantly less, around 30%


Quote:
They reckon it'll go a full kilometre but I wouldn't think so.
The RC gear is also reckoned to go a full kilometre without any trouble.
A good application for those running GPS to return home or fly to set waypoints. I'd love to build one and set it off with a gopro onboard and an ambitious journey of waypoints and wait for it to return 10 minutes later but I'm sure after investing all the necessary cash to make it do it something would go wrong and I'd never see it again!
__________________
Hyena Electric Bikes.com
High performance electric bike kits
Hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 4:07 PM   #41
sgtraven Thread Starter
Member
 
sgtraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vic, Glenroy
Posts: 3,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
why such poor battery life?
Is that normal time frame?
5-15 minutes is about the normal battery time for a quad copter, remember there is no forward momentum or lift from anything other than the 3-8 props.
__________________
Beaver of the Aussie Pitmasters Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETARD View Post
fap intensely over your uber manliness
sgtraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 5:54 PM   #42
Billzilla
Member
 
Billzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 2,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtraven View Post
try a cloverleaft antenna and directional antenna on the fatsharks, theres a guy at arkrc that is getting good range with this setup.

also mount the antenna on perspex mount away from the GPS and ESC's
Already got those antennas.
And that photo above is an old one, I have mounted the transmitter antenna up higher with a cardboard box, it helped a lot. I'm also trying mounting the antenna upside-down underneath to see how that goes. (not so goo so far ...)




Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
why such poor battery life?
Is that normal time frame?
Yep that's pretty normal.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena View Post
Sounds like the power:weight ratio is starting to become unfavourable with the larger battery. Have you had a play with this calculator ?
http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm?ecalc
It might be, I've never bothered to find out the optimum.
__________________
www.billzilla.org
Billzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 7:27 PM   #43
CQGLHyperion
Member
 
CQGLHyperion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: North Rockhampton
Posts: 1,307
Default

What would be the maximum wind speed that these could fly in?
__________________
BIG RIG: I7-980, P6X58D-E, 6 x 2GB CM3X2G1333C9, HD7970 DCUII TOP, 240GB Evo 840 ssd, 4 x 300GB Velociraptor, Xonar D2X, Lian-Li Red Spider
Trades: Web page coming soon!
CQGLHyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 7:44 PM   #44
sgtraven Thread Starter
Member
 
sgtraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vic, Glenroy
Posts: 3,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQGLHyperion View Post
What would be the maximum wind speed that these could fly in?
ive flown in 25-30k winds (bit hard though)
__________________
Beaver of the Aussie Pitmasters Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETARD View Post
fap intensely over your uber manliness
sgtraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 9:55 AM   #45
sgtraven Thread Starter
Member
 
sgtraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vic, Glenroy
Posts: 3,041
Default

postman came today


5000 3c by Brett Robinson, on Flickr
__________________
Beaver of the Aussie Pitmasters Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETARD View Post
fap intensely over your uber manliness
sgtraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 3:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!