Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Other Toys/Hobbies

Notices

Old 8th March 2017, 2:18 PM   #46
Radley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
The not-quite-as-cheap cheap one, $219.
There's a cheaper one than $219??
6800K | ASUS X99 ROG Strix | 32Gb G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz | GTX1080 ROG Strix | Samsung 512Gb M.2 NVMe | Razer Leviathan | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Enthoo Primo | Custom water loop | 2 x Dell U2713H
[ Intel Owners Club Member [#93]
$3830 in sales on OCAU.
Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 3:32 PM   #47
Azrael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley View Post
There's a cheaper one than $219??
Yeah, there was one for $159.

Also, anyone have a good source for Minwax poly and Titebond? Masters was my go to for those...
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 3:39 PM   #48
oculi

Quote:
Yeah, there was one for $159.

Also, anyone have a good source for Minwax poly and Titebond? Masters was my go to for those...
No idea for the poly but I bought titebond 3 from carbatec (bunnings style wallet warning) which seemed reasonably priced at the time.
Old 8th March 2017, 6:07 PM   #49
Azrael

Quote:
Originally Posted by oculi View Post
No idea for the poly but I bought titebond 3 from carbatec (bunnings style wallet warning) which seemed reasonably priced at the time.
Yerch, Carbatec is $59 for a gallon. Masters used to be $30
Old 8th March 2017, 6:33 PM   #50
oculi

Quote:
Yerch, Carbatec is $59 for a gallon. Masters used to be $30
I didn't know they sold it, would have bought more before they closed but i'm sure they would have sent it all back rather than sell it cheap in the closing down "sales"

I was going through it like crazy so started buying the cheapest white PVA bunnings sells instead, for things that will stay inside anwyay. I used to use a lot of fake liquid nails but it's overkill and takes to long to clean off your fingers.
Old 8th March 2017, 6:40 PM   #51
Azrael

Yeah, they got rid of it off the shelves pretty quickly after the announcement. Not sure if it was just people buying it up, or sending it back.

Sad though.

Seems that Wilson and Bradley have it for about $47 though: http://www.wilbrad.com.au/shop/produ...785-Lt&cid=358
Old 8th March 2017, 6:48 PM   #52
Radley

Timbecon has it for cheap. Not sure what postage is like but shouldn't be too bad if you buy a few things.
6800K | ASUS X99 ROG Strix | 32Gb G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz | GTX1080 ROG Strix | Samsung 512Gb M.2 NVMe | Razer Leviathan | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Enthoo Primo | Custom water loop | 2 x Dell U2713H
$3830 in sales on OCAU.
Old 8th March 2017, 6:58 PM   #53
underskore

Quote:
there are places that sell TB3 for way cheaper than carbatec, IIRC a place in the south east called Timbalac was where I saved a lot of money on it. I may've had to give them a company name when buying & I remember being shocked at how low the price was after coughing up for carbatec - but if Masters had it for $30 I doubt it was that cheap.

From what I can remember a generic weatherproof PVA is close enough performance wise to TB3 that the difference is barely noticeable when used for a skateboard deck (stack of veneers). I'd only worry about getting TB3 for the slightly longer working time if you're using it on more common joinery applications.
underskore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 7:04 PM   #54
oculi

Quote:
Originally Posted by underskore View Post
there are places that sell TB3 for way cheaper than carbatec, IIRC a place in the south east called Timbalac was where I saved a lot of money on it. I may've had to give them a company name when buying & I remember being shocked at how low the price was after coughing up for carbatec - but if Masters had it for $30 I doubt it was that cheap.

From what I can remember a generic weatherproof PVA is close enough performance wise to TB3 that the difference is barely noticeable when used for a skateboard deck (stack of veneers). I'd only worry about getting TB3 for the slightly longer working time if you're using it on more common joinery applications.
most join failures I've had will pull wood fibres out (most likely because I use crap wood) but I'm saving the TB3 for food contact stuff and waterproof and using more white glue more often. Might step up to yellow some day, depends if I can find it really cheap.

TB3 may be better for staining over, but that's when you should use hide glue anyway I suppose.

Last edited by oculi; 8th March 2017 at 7:07 PM.
oculi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 7:24 PM   #55
underskore

Quote:
most join failures I've had will pull wood fibres out (most likely because I use crap wood)
my understanding is that most timbers will fail before most glues (assuming it's not just a bad joint)

Quote:
TB3 may be better for staining over...
it leaves a darkish glue line... haven't stained over it, haven't touched hide glue
underskore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 8:00 PM   #56
Radley

Got a jigsaw and a plunge router during the week. The jigsaw is really shit for cutting in a straight line, even with a fence. I'm going to have to just get a table saw.
$3830 in sales on OCAU.
Old 19th March 2017, 8:58 PM   #57
clonex

what jigsaw and what are you cutting along with what blades are you using?
clonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 7:18 AM   #58
Radley

Some shitty Ryobi one from Bunnings. What blade should I be using for plywood or pine?
$3830 in sales on OCAU.
Old 20th March 2017, 7:59 AM   #59
oculi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley View Post
Some shitty Ryobi one from Bunnings. What blade should I be using for plywood or pine?
Try metal cutting blades and experiment with speeds. If you are cutting straight lines a circular saw with a shooting board will do it much better.
Old 27th March 2017, 2:28 PM   #60
Radley

I love my router
$3830 in sales on OCAU.