Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Other Toys/Hobbies

Notices

Old 20th February 2008, 10:36 PM   #61
ReP0
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Have to say the reviews have peaked my interest. I've got a rather shitty Engergizer hardcase (2xAA) LED flashlight (see http://www.energizer.com/products/fl...ashlights.aspx). It's throw is rather pathetic and I'm not happy with it so it might be time for an upgrade.

To give me an idea of what to expect can anyone give me an idea of how much lux the energizer has so I have something to use as a reference..

Also which battery type is the best? I noticed CRA123 etc in the reviews and since I don't have anything other than a AA/AAA charger I kind of would like the know what the best battery tech is to produce max lux vs operating time vs ability to hold charge since I'm not really vested in any. I really don't want something like my energizer lithiums (AA) which due to their leakage current will only hold a charge for a max week before battery starts to lose power. I think AA will be out of the question due to the short time and lower lux figures generally.

TIA!

Last edited by ReP0; 20th February 2008 at 10:51 PM.
ReP0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 11:17 PM   #62
-KoMoD0-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugoid View Post
it's still a nice weapon .
Put one of these baby's on your new flashy and your set

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1318
-KoMoD0- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 12:19 PM   #63
MagyaR

So is the RC-T5 the brightest Cree torch out there what is reasonably priced? What's with KD's shitty search?
MagyaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 12:27 PM   #64
Andres
Motor Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagyaR View Post
So is the RC-T5 the brightest Cree torch out there what is reasonably priced? What's with KD's shitty search?
From what I've read, there's similar configuration torches that will be brighter (especially customs), but I think for the price its pretty hard to beat at the moment (even DIY)

Apparently it hasn't got a MASSSIVE throw, but rather a good throw and really good spill. I'm hoping it would be a good basis to a mountain biking light.

Search for it on the candlepowerforum as there's a BIG thread about it that sums up the pros and cons of it. Apparently there's a bit of an issue with it flickering in 'low' mode with certain battery combos. Also there's apparently there's potentially 2 versions with slightly different emitters. No way of choosing though, and apparently the more recent ones contain the better emitters - so hopefully that's a nice bonus.

Mine's still waiting for the supplier. Rather annoying considering it was said to be in stock, and I paid for express shipping. Oh well, can't complain too much, it is a very cheap side (DX).

edit:

Quote:
Order: ******* placed on 2/17/2008 1:09:49 AM
(of current
shipment) On 2/20/2008:
Expedited Order Received - in stock
see all processing steps
Latest Shipment:by Air Mail
Woohoo - should be seeing it mid next week I'm guessing.

Last edited by Andres; 21st February 2008 at 12:31 PM.
Andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 8:20 PM   #65
dosada

Could someone please link me to the brightest flashlight available at dealsextreme. It is just to confusing to figure out which one it how bright if you are no expert.

Thanks
dosada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 8:55 PM   #66
MagyaR

Oh dear, KD is a shitty site!! trying to find where to log in, stuff from cart keeps disappearing!! I thought ok maybe because I was a guest, then I created account added stuff to cart, get home and it's empty again!!! Their searching facility is terrible as well.
Old 21st February 2008, 8:58 PM   #67
ReP0
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosada View Post
Could someone please link me to the brightest flashlight available at dealsextreme. It is just to confusing to figure out which one it how bright if you are no expert.

Thanks
Well it's very confusing, expecially once you start looking at battery types and size of flashlight and running time.. hehe I'm still trying to wrap my head around it but the reviews are pretty good. I like the running time graphs and the lux ratings (bigger lux = brighter).

So in general:
Can anyone confirm which battery types may have problems with leakage current (like most AA NimH exhibit). I want to leave this light in the glove box and don't want it to run flat after a week or two..

Last edited by ReP0; 21st February 2008 at 9:00 PM.
ReP0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 9:20 PM   #68
Andres
Motor Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReP0 View Post
Well it's very confusing, expecially once you start looking at battery types and size of flashlight and running time.. hehe I'm still trying to wrap my head around it but the reviews are pretty good. I like the running time graphs and the lux ratings (bigger lux = brighter).

So in general:
Can anyone confirm which battery types may have problems with leakage current (like most AA NimH exhibit). I want to leave this light in the glove box and don't want it to run flat after a week or two..
From what I gather, the lithiums are prety good for low/no drain. Alternatively there are some specific NimHs (Enerloops) that have very low drain, but currently they have slightly less capacity. I think ~2200-2400 vs 2700 for some 'big' AAs.

I boguht some "Vaata" AAs from Coles of all places, that claim to have very low drain. Haven't bothered testing thoroughly though as I tend to be using them quite regulalrly. (I have a single AA MTE 5-mode Rebel torch zip tied to my biek helmet).

Quote:

Thanks
If no one can help you here, go have a look on www.candlepowerforum.com - I'm sure someone there will have your answer. With that said, if you're jsut getting into 'hi-performance' torches, I'd recommend doing some reading yourself as there's more to torches than 'how bright'. Availability of batteries, throw vs spill, regulation, form factor. focusable, lifetime are all quite important.
Andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 11:23 AM   #69
jakiman

Quote:
Brightest Light at DX? Here ya go.

If you want to spot a beer from 50m+ away like a spotlight:
- http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6951
- http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6951 (~15% brighter)

If you want to light up your backyard:
- http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10452

If you want to light up your whole neighbourhood
- http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10558

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReP0 View Post

Then buy Sanyo Eneloops, GP Recyko, Uniross Hybrio or Varta Ready2Use batteries. (some are even available in Coles etc). These are all called Low Self Discharge (LSD) nimhs. They hold around 80%+ charge even after a year of non-use.

Last edited by jakiman; 22nd February 2008 at 12:25 PM.
jakiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 1:30 PM   #70
MagyaR

Are the Eneloops a good all rounder or are they just good for the slow discharge, 2700mah seems too good to be true.

Last edited by MagyaR; 22nd February 2008 at 1:39 PM.
Old 22nd February 2008, 2:22 PM   #71
jakiman

Quote:
Are the Eneloops a good all rounder or are they just good for the slow discharge, 2700mah seems too good to be true.
Eneloops are only 2000mAh I believe.
Some has 2100mAh but no higher yet

Sanyo is one of the best rated rechargeable battery maker.
Eneloops are definitely up there in terms of performance.

2700mAh normal NiMh is good if you use them straight after you charge them.
But if you leave it in the drawer for 2 months, 50% or more is already gone...

LSD NiMhs retain its charge much much longer.
So you won't have to recharge them after no tusing them for a while.

All up, it's up to how you will use them. If you always fully use the batteries up within about a month of charging them, get the higher capacity ones. If you don't, you'll find that LSD ones with lower capacity will actually last longer over time.
Old 22nd February 2008, 2:45 PM   #72
MagyaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Eneloops are only 2000mAh I believe.
Some has 2100mAh but no higher yet

Sanyo is one of the best rated rechargeable battery maker.
Eneloops are definitely up there in terms of performance.

2700mAh normal NiMh is good if you use them straight after you charge them.
But if you leave it in the drawer for 2 months, 50% or more is already gone...

LSD NiMhs retain its charge much much longer.
So you won't have to recharge them after no tusing them for a while.

All up, it's up to how you will use them. If you always fully use the batteries up within about a month of charging them, get the higher capacity ones. If you don't, you'll find that LSD ones with lower capacity will actually last longer over time.
Ok so the Sanyo 2700MAH are not Eneloops.
Old 22nd February 2008, 4:37 PM   #73
xtreme2k

I got some GP Recyko+ in hk
They are very cheap
much cheaper than sanyo

These are long life rechargable
2050mAh

arent bad considering the price
I think it only cost me A$10 for a standard charger with 2 AA

quality is good also.
not rubbish quality at all
xtreme2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 4:54 PM   #74
jakiman

Quote:
Ok so the Sanyo 2700MAH are not Eneloops.
That's correct. They are just normal NiMhs. Albeit very good ones.
Old 22nd February 2008, 5:24 PM   #75
avexdevil

got a cree myself (the one that runs on a single AA batt) and bought 2 of those blue trustfire rechargeable batts off dalextreme for under $30aud shipped. Awesome torchlight, bright enough that it makes u look away when you stare down its barrel when its switched on.
Sony Vaio Club Member #1
avexdevil is offline   Reply With Quote