Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Other Toys/Hobbies

Notices

Old 22nd February 2008, 11:10 PM   #76
MagyaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by avexdevil View Post
got a cree myself (the one that runs on a single AA batt) and bought 2 of those blue trustfire rechargeable batts off dalextreme for under $30aud shipped. Awesome torchlight, bright enough that it makes u look away when you stare down its barrel when its switched on.
So is the sun? Isn't it enough to test it at night instead of burning your retinas?
MagyaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 1:58 AM   #77
avexdevil

just using it as a form of comparison. well there you go, the sun is really bright isn't it . All i know was that the torches i owned before didnt cause me to look away when i stared at the bulb.
Sony Vaio Club Member #1
avexdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 7:14 AM   #78
MagyaR

What's the deal with returns and DX, I have a Romisen RC-F4 and noticed when I received it that the clicker wouldn't work, I tightend it a little and didn't think about it again, then the other day it didn't want to turn off and that the switch was really sensitive, so I turned it off and put it in the console, wanted to show it to a mate and last night and it was flat!!
Old 24th February 2008, 7:13 PM   #79
MyDixiesNormous

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Brightest Light at DX? Here ya go.

If you want to spot a beer from 50m+ away like a spotlight:
- http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6951
- http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6951 (~15% brighter)

If you want to light up your backyard:
- http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10452

If you want to light up your whole neighbourhood
- http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10558
Im thinking of buying all three of these lights. Do the first two come with batteries? Can someone please babysit me and recommend me some other batteries and a charger? I would really appreciate it. I have heard about some batteries not fitting into some torches and it's a bit of a headf#ck at the moment. Anything else you could recommend would be great as well.

I'll give you a very short backstory as to why i want these torches. I run a precast concrete business and our yard gets broken into very very regulary. It's a large property and it's almost impossible to stop people jumping the fences or just cutting locks. Almost every time i go out on the road i drive past the yard and check it out. As such I need to shine through a chain link fence and need a throw of at least 150m. I will almost always be doing this from a car, a drive by if you will. Thats what I have planned for the 35w hid.

On three occasions I've seen them leave the property and one occasion I've chased them from the property. The big bugger will come in handy for that, as well as the second smaller one on the list. Would be good if they have a tac head for them. Our new alarm system that we will soon install will alert me as soon as they enter the property, before they break into things and set of the main alarm. With this alarm I'll be able to get there before they even know Im onto them. Knife the car tyres, blind the fuckers and then tell the coppers you found them in a pool of their own blood.

What I would give for the 1kw tank light on CPF. Mount that to the roof racks and operate it via the moonroof. So sweet.

The first light will just be for the hell of it. The missus goes to bed early and i stay up late. I prefer to walk around the house with a torch then turn on lights all the time. One time I was in bed and at 1am about 5 kids started ringing out doorbell. Our bedroom is upstairs above the door, with a balcony above it. I very quietly opened the balcony door and stood above them and shone the light on them. It was great that they were virtually blinded and i had the elevation advantage In the end I kind of knew they were harmless, they had the wrong address and were after a mates house. Was good to give them a little shock tho.

Im sure some of you would have seen this. Still cracks me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0bLNoMKxMk

Last edited by MyDixiesNormous; 25th February 2008 at 7:06 PM.
MyDixiesNormous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 8:16 PM   #80
jakiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDixiesNormous View Post
Im thinking of buying all three of these lights. Do the first two come with batteries? Can someone please babysit me and recommend me some other batteries and a charger? I would really appreciate it. I have heard about some batteries not fitting into some torches and it's a bit of a headf#ck at the moment. Anything else you could recommend would be great as well.
Nearly all LED lights do not come with any batteries.
Buy protected lithiums when you can. It's just a little safer.
Also, most of these big lights fit any batteries just fine. =)

This cheap charger is really all you need for 18650 charging.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.936

And you can get any protected 18650 for them. (Ultrafire or Trustfire)
If you really need good batteries however, consider these from AW.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=173892
jakiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 9:00 PM   #81
-KoMoD0-

Make sure you get protected, don't want something to catch fire if you overcharge it.

I discovered a small flaw with my WF-600, if you tighten the head to much the light will flicker and turn off. Does anyone know if I can get a replacement tail for a Cree C3? The button thing in mine fell apart and its been sitting on the shelf even since.

Last edited by -KoMoD0-; 24th February 2008 at 9:03 PM.
-KoMoD0- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 10:14 PM   #82
dosada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDixiesNormous View Post

I'll give you a very short backstory as to why i want these torches. I run a precast concrete business and our yard gets broken into very very regulary. It's a large property and it's almost impossible to stop people jumping the fences or just cutting locks. Almost every time i go out on the road i drive past the yard and check it out. As such I need to shine through a chain link fence and need a throw of at least 150m. I will almost always be doing this from a car, a drive by if you will. Thats what I have planned for the 35w hid.

On three occasions I've seen them leave the property and one occasion I've chased them from the property. The big bugger will come in handy for that, as well as the second smaller one on the list. Would be good if they have a tac head for them. Our new alarm system that we will soon install will alert me as soon as they enter the property, before they break into things and set of the main alarm. With this alarm I'll be able to get there before they even know Im onto them. Knife the car tyres, blind the fuckers and then tell the coppers you found them in a pool of their own blood.

What I would give for the 1kw tank light on CPF. Mount that to the roof racks and operate it via the moonroof. So sweet.

The first light will just be for the hell of it. The missus goes to bed early and i stay up late. I prefer to walk around the house with a torch then turn on lights all the time. One time I was in bed and at 1am about 5 kids started ringing out doorbell. Our bedroom is upstairs above the door, with a balcony above it. I very quietly opened the balcony door and stood above them and shone the light on them. It was great that they were virtually blinded and i had the elevation advantage In the end I kind of knew they were harmless, they had the wrong address and were after a mates house. Was good to give them a little shock tho.

Im sure some of you would have seen this. Still cracks me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0bLNoMKxMk
What about something like this since you want to operate it from the car

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6-m-CANDLE-LI...QQcmdZViewItem

I have got one of them with 15m candle from repco and its great besides the size.
dosada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 10:55 PM   #83
-KoMoD0-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosada View Post

I have got one of them with 15m candle from repco and its great besides the size.
You are better off with a $12 dolphin lantern torch than one of those, I had one and not only was the light output not that great it was heavy and difficult to hold in your hand.

Probably best to go with a HID

Last edited by -KoMoD0-; 24th February 2008 at 11:00 PM.
-KoMoD0- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 5:12 AM   #84
MyDixiesNormous

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosada View Post

Oh the irony. I had a 10mill version and it did a reasonable job, but not the best at penetrating through the fence.

I left it in the office once to charge. And yes, IT FUCKING GOT STOLEN!!!!! Next time i'll replace the battery with some C4.
Old 25th February 2008, 7:49 AM   #85
MagyaR

I find that having too many different types of batts on DX & KD confusing, I mostly got protected I think, I also got the cheap charger via DX, jakiman does DX sell a car adapter which plugs into this charger so I can charge via dc? Also do you have a lot of problems with KD where items vanish from your cart? It gets really frustrating.
Old 25th February 2008, 9:31 AM   #86
jakiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagyaR View Post
I find that having too many different types of batts on DX & KD confusing, I mostly got protected I think, I also got the cheap charger via DX, jakiman does DX sell a car adapter which plugs into this charger so I can charge via dc? Also do you have a lot of problems with KD where items vanish from your cart? It gets really frustrating.
Just know the battery size you need. 16340 or 14500 or 18650 etc.
(It's in the format AABBB where AA is diameter and BBB is length in mm)
Then just get the protected ones of them. (They are usually ~2mm longer)

Not sure about DC input charger. There should be one. I haven't looked.
KD's website isn't as well made as DX, so yes, the cart does refresh. =P
I use DX's favourites function for stuff I'm interested. Wish KD had it.
jakiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 10:53 AM   #87
MagyaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Just know the battery size you need. 16340 or 14500 or 18650 etc.
(It's in the format AABBB where AA is diameter and BBB is length in mm)
Then just get the protected ones of them. (They are usually ~2mm longer)

Not sure about DC input charger. There should be one. I haven't looked.
KD's website isn't as well made as DX, so yes, the cart does refresh. =P
I use DX's favourites function for stuff I'm interested. Wish KD had it.
I just received my first batch of batteries, 18650's are huge. On KD's site when I choose the battery holder under batts n chargers then that automatically resets my cart and takes me to the cart page.
Old 25th February 2008, 11:12 AM   #88
Andres
Motor Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagyaR View Post
I just received my first batch of batteries, 18650's are huge. On KD's site when I choose the battery holder under batts n chargers then that automatically resets my cart and takes me to the cart page.
From DX? When did u order?

I'm still hankering to get my order in - Ordered like last Sunday, and paid for the Express postage, but I prob won't see it till later this week.

Hope I get it before I head to the Grampians this weekend. Would be cool to test them out there.

Jakiman - Can you explain the term "primaries" when refering to Lithium batteries? Or jsut point my in the direction of a good source of information? I couldn't find anything on candlepowerforums (easily).

edit: Damn, shoulda googled ages ago - apparently it just means 'non-rechargable'

Last edited by Andres; 25th February 2008 at 11:23 AM.
Andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 11:25 AM   #89
MagyaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres View Post
From DX? When did u order?

I'm still hankering to get my order in - Ordered like last Sunday, and paid for the Express postage, but I prob won't see it till later this week.

Hope I get it before I head to the Grampians this weekend. Would be cool to test them out there.

Jakiman - Can you explain the term "primaries" when refering to Lithium batteries? Or jsut point my in the direction of a good source of information? I couldn't find anything on candlepowerforums (easily).
Ordered at DX, my order was split in 2, batteries arrived today and were ordered on the 3rd of Feb!!! 2 items (torch and lantern is pending 2/25) and the wf-600 is still pending!!!!

Lovely, 18650 don't fit the RC-F4, missed the "Powered by 2 x CR123A (3.0/3.6V) note: barrel will not fit any 18650 batteries" >>=[

Last edited by MagyaR; 25th February 2008 at 6:04 PM.
Old 26th February 2008, 7:56 PM   #90
plasticbastard

I have just purchased two Fenix T1 Tactical torches. One from an Australian supplier (in that crappy Olive green anodised colour) for work, the other via the fenix-store website (in black). I've got the olive green one and love it. It's super bright (kicks my L2D Q5 premium's ass), nice throw and focus. The only naggy thing is the clip on the body is in the wrong spot, but nothing a bit of elbow grease and plenty of torque can't fix.

I picked the AU one up for $79 (normally $195AU), and the US one for $86 AU (supplied with two batteries).

The downside is that it runs off two CR123A batteries, which as we all know, are insanely expensive in Australia. Thank heavens fenix-store sell them in bulk (you can get 32 for $64ea iirc).
plasticbastard is offline   Reply With Quote