Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Other Toys/Hobbies

Notices

Old 1st March 2008, 2:35 PM   #106
-KoMoD0-

DX can be crap in that regard, I ordered a laser about a month ago with a 7 day ETA. ETA passed and mine was not shipped yet people who ordered after me got theirs shipped.
-KoMoD0- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2008, 10:11 PM   #107
psychobunny

my uncle gave ma an aurora 1.5w powered by 2xAA uses a lens instead of a reflective cone and bugger i luv it, that and you can use maglite accesories with it

Originally Posted by clinic: psychobunny'dô twice in one thread. Well played sir, well played...
Originally Posted by Agg: I am not good with computer.
psychobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2008, 10:25 PM   #108
flurex

Just ordered my RC-G2 from DX, even though it's back ordered I don't mind being in a queue
Old 1st March 2008, 10:45 PM   #109
m_f

Quote:
Originally Posted by flurex View Post
Just ordered my RC-G2 from DX, even though it's back ordered I don't mind being in a queue
Mine just got shipped! I ordered the grey one to avoid the back order
Successful sales: Bthree | Search | mr_nguyen | fengtianrui | VipeRzX | Soliah | CautionAU | true_filo_pryde | KenZomgWtfBbq | soupratt | nelson92 | h$v | dave43 | misc. | 18Googol2 | Striker999 | d0oDmAn | tino1984 | Sambo69 | C-BuZz | anark1 | Pipster | SGG | TamTam79 | minivan | JohJoh | yam | puh_leease lucid
m_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 4:34 PM   #110
MagyaR

Just took both torches wf-600 & the RC-F4 to camping, I reckon the RC-F4 is brighter and has a bigger throw, plus you can take off the end and hang it up in the tent. I was expecting the wf-600 to be brighter due to the Q5.
MagyaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 8:00 AM   #111
Andres
Motor Admin

Just got the RC-G2 and 2 more Rebel 100lumen, 5 mode MTE lights. (The 4xCree is back to pending )

One of the MTEs refuses to work. It might flash a bit of light when tapped, but I've pulled it apart, sprayed some switch cleaner on it, and made sure there wasn't any crap in it, and still no dice. I'll look into sending it back, but I fear the postage is going to be a bitch!

The RC-G2 is not a bad torch. A tad more tightly focussed than the MTE, which I think is due to the large reflector on it. It is a tiny bit more throwy than the MTE, but I reckon the MTE puts out more light overall. The Cree in the RC-G2 seems a lot warmer/yellower than the Rebel in the MTEs.

I'd personally recommend the 5 mode MTE as worth the extra ~$7 as the form factor is much nicer, and I think despite being slightly less throwy, its spot is bigger, and the spill is stronger. Although I must say the RC's build quality seems a lot nicer, and it is certainly heavier.

I guess to sum it up - I think I'd buy the RC-G2 to give as a present to 'old people'. It works, is far brighter than any cheap incandescent, and is a simple on/off switch. I'd buy the MTE for people that wouldn't be intimidated by half pressing a switch to change between the 5 modes, and won't be frustrated if it takes them ~10seconds to cycle through the modes. And most importantly, I think the MTE produces better lighting.

PS A bit of inner tube from a road bike fits perfectly over the end of these AA torches, becoming much softer on the teeth when you have to hold the torch in your mouth.
Andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 10:04 AM   #112
wRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres View Post
I'll look into sending it back, but I fear the postage is going to be a bitch!
When I had to send a my ultrafire back to dx i enquired about a refund on postage and instead they let me choose some more products, which they included when they sent the replacement. Postage was $7.50 for me.
wRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 10:51 AM   #113
Andres
Motor Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wRONG View Post
When I had to send a my ultrafire back to dx i enquired about a refund on postage and instead they let me choose some more products, which they included when they sent the replacement. Postage was $7.50 for me.
Sweet. As long as the postage is <$10, I don't reeeeally mind paying for it myself, as I think the torch could easily sell for ~$30 in Aus. I thought it mighta been a a lot more though. Will chase it up tonight.
Old 12th March 2008, 7:25 AM   #114
Andres
Motor Admin

Default Awww yeah!

RC-T5 4x Cree (and MTE 5-mode for scale)

Ended up getting the silver/grey instead of black, but I'm quite happy. Makes it stand out from my other torches a bit. I'll add details/thoughts tongiht.
Old 12th March 2008, 8:26 AM   #115
psychobunny

just wondering, if you wanted to measure the output of one torch ro compare it to another, doing all of this in your own home how would you do it?

Originally Posted by clinic: psychobunny'dô twice in one thread. Well played sir, well played...
Originally Posted by Agg: I am not good with computer.
psychobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 1:27 PM   #116
phantompisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHoBuNnY View Post
just wondering, if you wanted to measure the output of one torch ro compare it to another, doing all of this in your own home how would you do it?
use a digital camera in manual mode if possible . Make sure the aperture and shutter speed remain the same and compare .
Old 12th March 2008, 9:17 PM   #117
campbell

Quote:
If you only wanted rough relative estimates you could try a ceiling bounce. Just sit in a dark room, point your torches at the ceiling one by one, and see which one is easier to read a newspaper by. This gives you an idea of the total light output. Comparing photos is difficult if the beam patterns are totally different.
campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 7:41 AM   #118
MagyaR

Has anyone bought the shitty 3346 Handheld Cree Q2 3-Mode LED Lantern (4xAA), I chucked in 4 new Duracells and it wasn't bright at all, I had a look at the cree and it's actually a P4, judging by whats on the DX site, I tried some Sanyo 2700mahs at home and it was a tad brighter, then it popped! started to smoke, what a jib!
MagyaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 8:05 AM   #119
nakey

I notice we're all getting these lenses from DX.

since i'm heading there in a few days, anyone know where to get them there?

all i've got is a bunch of cheap shitty multi-led torches, the Energiser LED + Xenon torch, and a 1AA LED-lenser that's disappeared somewhere in my room

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Do you butter your toast with a sword because of it's increased utility for stabbing someone?
Why, yes, i do

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtraven View Post
If someone lent me their balls id have them cupped up to my face as much as possible.

Last edited by nakey; 13th March 2008 at 9:15 AM.
nakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 1:37 PM   #120
plasticbastard

Quote:
Set the torches up in a 'locked off' (as in, not moveable or influenced by external forces/objects) platform (i.e. taped to a table, or put on a tripod via clamp) - and aim at a white wall, distance to wall needs to be 1m from the head of the torch.

Get a large target of some type with numerous circular rings a set the same distance apart, the largest approx 1m in diameter.

Darken the room to pitch black, set a camera up 1m away from the wall, or 1.5m from the wall, and lock it off in position.

Set the f stop to approx f7, and the shutter speed to about 1/80th of a second. Keep these settings consistant in your testing. If you need to change it because the light isn't powerful enough, use the same settings if comparing to another torch.

Pretty much got a good set up there.
plasticbastard is offline   Reply With Quote