Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > General Software

Notices

Old 4th September 2017, 3:28 PM   #16
treblid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenger View Post
Yea found that and have it installed on my test site.
From what I saw it's a single blog but may be good for some stuff.
It's a multi-blog engine. You can set up say X number of blogs (called collections) on a single site. And then set a type for each collection, e.g. the first is main portal, the 2nd as a normal blog, the third as a forum, a fourth as a gallery and so on.

Basically if you set the type as a forum, your posts will be displayed like a forum, if you set the type as a manual it will display like a wiki. And so on.

There's also a common sitewide header to navigate around.

You can check out what I did here: https://snakeoil-os.net/. I'm using b2evolution for portal, blogs and manual, and finally myBB for forums.
treblid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 3:58 PM   #17
Revenger Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treblid View Post
It's a multi-blog engine. You can set up say X number of blogs (called collections) on a single site. And then set a type for each collection, e.g. the first is main portal, the 2nd as a normal blog, the third as a forum, a fourth as a gallery and so on.

Basically if you set the type as a forum, your posts will be displayed like a forum, if you set the type as a manual it will display like a wiki. And so on.

There's also a common sitewide header to navigate around.

You can check out what I did here: https://snakeoil-os.net/. I'm using b2evolution for portal, blogs and manual, and finally myBB for forums.
I'll have to have a look at it sometime and see.

Kinda need common sign-on though.

Making a test php frontpage to see whats what.

Update: Testing my own template now you can see here.
This means I can do those cool layout front pages you see on sites then users can go to the forum from there.
Update2: Forgot to set Square as default theme so your all were probably thinking what the seeing messed up stuff.

Last edited by Revenger; 4th September 2017 at 5:28 PM.
Revenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 5:17 PM   #18
vladtepes

Firstly just let me be clear - I don't care what you use. If you don't use SMF it makes no difference to me BUT I think I have to address this statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenger View Post
I've used SMF in the past as my 'go-to forum' but I'm seeing that some people don't like it nowadays.
Also people are moving away, development has slowed and some things are years old.
"some people" don't like any given software you care to name,. That means nothing.

Also "people" might be moving away from SMF but on the other hand the engagement in the 'converters' section also indicates that 'people' are moving away from various other forum types and into SMF.

Some things are years old... yes because it has been around for a while. That doesn't make it worse, by any means.

I think SMF - with relevant mods installed, such as TinyPortal for example - is capable of doing all you need.

You should definitely consider it as one of your options.

But ultimately that's for you to decide. Good luck.

Edit:
I'm very comfortable with SMF but I did do a lot of investigation prior to setting up my forum, and I have to say that if I were going to move away from SMF the only one I consider potentially 'cleaner' is Xenforo. Having said that - every great looking Xenforo site I have seen mentions that there ahs been some special programming done to alter it.. so I'm not sure what's "core" and what isn't.

Members willing to do pickups for other members

successful trades: see profile.

Last edited by vladtepes; 5th September 2017 at 12:24 PM.
vladtepes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 4:12 PM   #19
Revenger Thread Starter

I have all forums installed locally to evaluate and test.

Still leaning towards MyBB for its templating system and ease of use.

At this stage I am kinda looking for someone who could be a second voice with decisions to help flesh out ideas and ways which the site can be initially setup.

As well as anyone with a knack for layouts who could help me design a clean front page in the layout template.

Also looking for branding help with a logo and chance to talk the site and domain name with anyone who can have a look and recommend a good free MyBB theme, preferably to start with.

As the site is a niche community for Anime and Japanese die hard fans and related gamers who may have various social, emotional, or other things going on people will have to be understanding and respectful to the project when helping.

Last edited by Revenger; 11th October 2017 at 4:17 PM.
Revenger is offline   Reply With Quote