Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Storage & Backup

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 1st July 2017, 7:52 AM   #46
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTMAN View Post
I'm not referring to volumes or disk groups
Oh righto, thanks, I misunderstood what you were referring to.

I call my shares after the disk (mine are all individual, not in raid). I know what's where that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 3rd July 2017, 12:19 AM   #47
Revenger Thread Starter

I didn't see that copy-to issue moving to a root folder just now in Xpenology DSM 5.2
So I assume 6.1 should be much the same.

Tested on USB and all seems ok.

I'll update you guys with 6.1 findings once I get that tested.

MUTMAN I know what you mean if you wanted to move a root folder somewhere.

What I would do is either have those as subs or make a folder where you want usb etc and select all and move all that way.

Last edited by Revenger; 3rd July 2017 at 12:26 AM.
Revenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 6:15 PM   #48
Revenger Thread Starter

So I got the NAS today.

Chucked a couple drives in to test.

I'll do a full log later.

I know what Mutman was saying about the HDD's.

Volume 1 uses more data than Volume 2 with Synology temp and other files.

Surveillance station you can change recording storage path after install, so having a look at that stuff also.

Thinking I don't like the idea of having Synology's stuff on a scrap drive as if anything happens to that I loose all the configs etc.

So I may just make the first drive onwards my array and the scrap at the end.

Currently have a second drive running through DBAN so I'll run all my drives through that as I add them to the array.

Last edited by Revenger; 3rd July 2017 at 6:23 PM.
Old 3rd July 2017, 6:26 PM   #49
MUTMAN

all of the synology setup and files is mirrored to every drive. just that some apps will only primarily reside on the first hdd
like i was saying before, surveillance centre is a great example of how that works.
set it up to record only movement to the second hdd, and have a timeout on the drives to spin down
the first drive will never spin down...

its not a show stopper, just something to be aware of if having drives spin down is a requirement.
for my setup back then, i had a three drive raid 5 that wouldnt be touched for days, so why not spin them down
MUTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 8:30 PM   #50
Revenger Thread Starter

Yea I can see things use the first partition etc.

I am using the first few drives for my storage then last as scratch when I can.

I'm populating it now and have 2 drives in and a 3rd dbanning to go in tomorow or so to copy data 1 drive at a time.

I looked at docker and will probably roll my own nomachine desktop image with the apps I want etc.

All the dockers for nomachine I find haven't been that good so I may as well roll my own with Jdownloder2 and DC++ etc on it with mapped storage to the nas.

Was thinking a VM and may still go that path depending as I am going to get 16GB next week.

I'll do a review thingy a bit later.

Using a Xpenology VM to test stuff so I don't test on and clutter up the actual nas.
Old 10th July 2017, 9:46 PM   #51
Revenger Thread Starter

Review so far:

So I got the Synology Nas about a week ago and it came very well packed in 2 boxes and with Synology's own packing tape.

It had a few accessories the keys, quick start guide, power cable, 2 shielded lan cables and a package of screws for 2.55 inch drives.

Setting it up was really easy and I was running in no time.

Adding drives I added them as a single SHR volume of 2 drives to start with after they were both run through DBAN.

I am currently up to 4 drives adding them one by one.
You can hot add the drives then use the webpage to expand onto it.

The method I use is to move the data from a drive onto the NAS.
Run the drive through DBAN, this is a test of the drive as well as a data scrub.
Add the drive into the NAS and let it expand onto the drive.
Repeat for the next drive.

Copying I do via the inbuilt USB ports.

This system is working well and has taken about 3 days per drive.

There are a bunch of native 3rd party packages you can get from SynoCommunity for the nas.

For anything else there are plenty of Docker apps and you can easily roll your own Mate desktop with nomachine if needed.

If you have multiple users or need multiple access you can do link aggregation which bonds the ports into one.

Make sure you remember to enable all bonded ports for WOL if that's what you plan to use also as that won't work otherwise all ports are enabled for that.

Using the website on mobile devices has a mobile version but you can switch back and forth to a full version or web version as needed.
It also lists dedicated mobile apps at the bottom of the web version.

The DS File app lets you do fully remote side transfers and is my prefered way to move files from USB to the device.

With Windows on networking files are usually cached locally then moved back to the device when you are moving
them between external shares or cached on the pc when moving files between two systems.

The webapp gets around that, but I do wish DS File was on Windows as a UWP app also then just mobile devices as I tend to want to do remote file management and will be moving downloads onto the NAS from my server etc.

The Android DS Finder app lets you have remote notifications (as long as the app is running) and shows some basic info on the NAS as well lets you do WOL.

Overall I am very happy with the NAS and will be playing around with extras such as Docker and VM's and using it for file sharing and downloads and will update you all how I go with that.

If you need to do any extra remote work there's SSH file transfer and SSH command line.
A package MC (Midnight Commander) is in the SynoCommunity repo if you want a file manager in SSH but you need to have Homes enabled to use it.

If there is anything you want me to review with the NAS please let me know.

Last edited by Revenger; 10th July 2017 at 9:48 PM.
Old 10th July 2017, 10:08 PM   #52
MUTMAN

great review revenger
a couple of questions
why dont you use shr2 if you have 8 bays ?
are you using the btrfs format or sticking to ext4 ?
and what happened to going cheap and spending the money on drives ?
MUTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 10:35 PM   #53
Revenger Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTMAN View Post
great review revenger
a couple of questions
why dont you use shr2 if you have 8 bays ?
are you using the btrfs format or sticking to ext4 ?
and what happened to going cheap and spending the money on drives ?
Was more a overview than a review.

Agg has a good Synology review on this site with graphs etc.

With speed it's basically 115MB/s gigabit / HDD speed, haven't tested link aggregation throughout.

So performance is standard and not worth mentioning unless you are bonding and having multiple users etc.

As for HDD usage it's running at about 60% HDD so there is room for multiple users or bonded transfers.
CPU and ram usage is low.

So not much to review in that area as it's normal speeds but if I go to a Lan will definitely keep you posted.

As well I'll update this thread once I look at docker etc and post that stuff.
And streaming content to my consoles etc.

As for SHR2, you can only do that if you have 4 drives minimum, I started with two.

You can convert from SHR to SHR2 I'll show that option once I add in the next drive.

I'm not going to do that until I reach the 6th drive and go SHR2 for drive 7.

As for drives my plan is to use what I have 3TB then slowly migrate to 8TB drives when it's affordable to me.

So far all I've spent is the cost of the Nas to give me a redundant system.
Considering different costs, raid, cards cases etc, complexity with setup and potential issues, ease of use etc, this setup is what I ended up with being the best all round choice.

And as for format I have chosen to go BTRFS which is a newer system that is self healing of there is any file corruption etc.

I don't know too much BTRFS vs EXT4.

Also when you add a USB drive NTFS etc you will get some Synology files added similar to what OSX would do with ._ and trashes etc.

On another note it's about time ReFS became standard with Windows, I've had occasional NTFS issues and corruption that yea it's time to move on.

Last edited by Revenger; 10th July 2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12th July 2017, 6:57 PM   #54
Revenger Thread Starter

I haven't converted to SHR2 yet as the Synology Raid Calculator says I won't get any usable storage when upgrading drives until at least 4 drives are upgraded.

So plan is to stay with SHR1 and leave port 7 free and eventually upgrade to 4 newer drives first then run SHR2 from there.

Why also leave port 7 free? Well to expand on SHR2 of course and still allow port 8 to be used as a scrap until I get a expansion bay and move the scrap, vm's etc onto that when I get to that stage.

To upgrade to SHR2 you do it in the Storage Station when you manage the volume.

I enabled the home directory today for my personal files, resume, game keys, whatever really so they can be separate from my storage shares.

At this stage I won't have all my data on the NAS untill I upgrade drives.

My console stuff is about 5TB (on a new 8TB) and then the old raids to recover another is about 5TB, so overall I will need to get a few 8TB installed over the next few months or so to move that stuff to the NAS.

But bit by bit I will populate the NAS with bigger drives and move the rest of my data over.

I enabled the light dimming schedule at night and full brightness during the day.

Everything I am doing can be done on Xpenology.

The actual build of the device is really good and the laches for the drives are pretty good.

Anything you want to know just ask.
Old 17th July 2017, 11:48 PM   #55
Revenger Thread Starter

I got 16GB ram today tried a VM which was ok apart from being limited to 1280x1024 resolution in qemu as it uses a emulated cirrus logic videocard.

So what did I decide to do then well I decided to roll my own NoMachine Docker Roll and a few hours later of trial and error ended up with this.

I have rolled a initial dockerfile of dc++ with nomachine and the EiskaltDCPP client as it seems better than LinuxDC++.
No dc++ clients exist in the containerland well publically anyway.

So here is my initial version.
Very buggy probably but working initially.

If anyone wants to help with the dockerfile let me know and I can add you to my github as a contributor.

Adding Files into a shared common folder using dcpp as a test will rename to something like 'Shared Files' then have a seperate 'Downloaded Files' folder.

Hashing files uses all 16GB ram