Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Video Cards & Monitors

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old Yesterday, 3:06 PM   #1951
mAJORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini.txt View Post
If you're going to make a ridiculous statement like that, why not say 1080ti performance for $200
Perhaps he's talking about AU RRP vs actual, gpu-shortage-induced inflated prices.. in which case it's not that ridiculous - 1080 should be around AU$650 or so at the moment , since it's an $499US card. (For comparion, a ryzen 1800x is $499 and lands about 670 here)

In fact, there's really no point talking about anything but RRP, given mining makes prices fluctuate wildly.

If 1080 performance requires over 300w, then there would have to be some price compensation - cheaper freesync can't be relied on as the only benefit, as much as it is a big drawcard.

Last edited by mAJORD; Yesterday at 3:11 PM.
mAJORD is online now   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old Yesterday, 3:10 PM   #1952
bjk213

Quote:
If you're going to make a ridiculous statement like that, why not say 1080ti performance for $200
It's not ridiculous at all.

1080GTX has been out for a year now with a $900 price tag on release, with no competition when it was released.

Now Vega is coming out a year later with most likely worse performance than the 1080 gtx.

Instant buy from me if it is at the price range but I bet AMD fuck it up and price it at $1000.
bjk213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 3:11 PM   #1953
Dragonfly

Quote:
https://www.pccasegear.com/category/...ce-gtx-1080-ti
Old Yesterday, 3:34 PM   #1954
Sgt Bilko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjk213 View Post
It's not ridiculous at all.

1080GTX has been out for a year now with a $900 price tag on release, with no competition when it was released.

Now Vega is coming out a year later with most likely worse performance than the 1080 gtx.

Instant buy from me if it is at the price range but I bet AMD fuck it up and price it at $1000.
It wasn't $900 on launch here, add another $200 and you're on target
Old Yesterday, 3:42 PM   #1955
Athlonman_2nd

Even if these are $600, it's just not worth it with the:

1. High heat that AMD's run at
2. The noise of the fans to cool that heat
3. The poor drivers and quality control
Old Yesterday, 3:55 PM   #1956
walker_2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlonman_2nd View Post

I am all got bagging amd drivers but I think they have improved and Nvidia have gotten worse. Taking crossfire out of picture that is. But crossfire and sli are dying anyway.
Old Yesterday, 3:57 PM   #1957
Athlonman_2nd

Uh, pretty sure Sli and CF actually started that Ebola outbreak. Horrid stuff.
Old Yesterday, 4:06 PM   #1958
Deano_20802

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post
In fact, there's really no point talking about anything but RRP, given mining makes prices fluctuate wildly.

If 1080 performance requires over 300w, then there would have to be some price compensation - cheaper freesync can't be relied on as the only benefit, as much as it is a big drawcard.
RRP is all that's worth comparing for now, we'll get shafted no matter what

Hence my honest comment of a price advantage getting me over the line, there are people that will only go with AMD or are sticking with Freesync, but that doesn't mean they don't want fair performance for the money. A bit higher draw is fine, heat can be an issue though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlonman_2nd View Post

The heat and particularly air cooling options are a real concern, most people I deal with aren't using water cooling.

Drivers are a non-issue in my opinion; both sides are below what they could be, but acceptable at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker_2003 View Post
I am all got bagging amd drivers but I think they have improved and Nvidia have gotten worse. Taking crossfire out of picture that is. But crossfire and sli are dying anyway.
I can't comment on anything large scale, but out of the many (>50 but <100) of each I've used, tested or worked with for people I must say that right now, I'm at times getting frustrated with both, but am overall having very little issues with either.

Historically they've both had truly terrible periods though!!

Last edited by Deano_20802; Yesterday at 4:10 PM.
Deano_20802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 4:17 PM   #1959
Aussiejuggalo

AMD's drivers have been pretty solid ever since I've had my 290, had some problems but nothing like Nvidia drivers, least AMD hasn't bricked cards in the last few years .

I'm still not 100% sure what I want out of Vega, I can live with 1080 performance, power and price are going to be deciding factors for me I think. If it's around 1070 pricing (dreaming right?) then I'll buy it without question but if it's higher I'll have to think about it. Power is the other issue, 300w isn't heaps but if the top end version really is 375w like the rumours say... that's a lot of power to be pulling and pretty close to the max limit of 2 8 pin connectors.

The other problem I'm dealing with is monitors, there's heaps of G-Sync ones out but the only really decent Freesync one is the Nixeus EDG 27" and as far as I've heard unless Mwave imports it (emailed them about it but haven't had a reply) we probably wont get it till we get Amazon at the end of next year which is shit.

My baby: AMD 1800X / MSI B350M Mortar Arctic / G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz C14 / Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC (Vega later) / Samsung 960 Evo 250GB / Samsung 850 EVO 1TB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA G2 850w / Caselabs SM5 / Dell U2414H x2 & Asus VG248QE
Aussiejuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 4:22 PM   #1960
Deano_20802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiejuggalo View Post
The other problem I'm dealing with is monitors, there's heaps of G-Sync ones out but the only really decent Freesync one is the Nixeus EDG 27" and as far as I've heard unless Mwave imports it (emailed them about it but haven't had a reply) we probably wont get it till we get Amazon at the end of next year which is shit.
That's frustrating many people. Hopefully Freesync 2 actually improves on this, but I won't hold me breath
Deano_20802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 4:28 PM   #1961
Aussiejuggalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano_20802 View Post
That's frustrating many people. Hopefully Freesync 2 actually improves on this, but I won't hold me breath
Well the main problem atm is unless you go TN or that horse shit curved VA there's only 1 "IPS" type panel that supports 144Hz which is the AU Optronics and it's pretty shit. Which is why companies don't really want to take the risk in making monitors with it, the RMA rate is far to high.

Honestly I don't care about Freesync or G-Sync I just want 3 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS screens that don't have horrible BLB or fancy "gamer" shit all over them .

My baby: AMD 1800X / MSI B350M Mortar Arctic / G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz C14 / Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC (Vega later) / Samsung 960 Evo 250GB / Samsung 850 EVO 1TB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA G2 850w / Caselabs SM5 / Dell U2414H x2 & Asus VG248QE

Last edited by Aussiejuggalo; Yesterday at 4:36 PM.
Aussiejuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM   #1962
bjk213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiejuggalo View Post
fancy "gamer" shit all over them .
how dare you
bjk213 is offline   Reply With Quote