OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 9th June 2017, 12:01 AM   #1111
lithos

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
This tells me one thing, no great dlc packs and a sequel is probably on hold. The studio responsible for the game have previously not developed a full title before.
"Hey, I got an idea."

"What?"

"You know Mass Effect?"

"Yeah - it's one of our biggest and most popular franchises. It's raked in hundreds of millions."

"Right. So the next one..."

"If we do a next one."

"'Course we're gonna do the next one. The next one - well, we don't have to do anything. We could slap a JPEG of a turd on a DVD and pre-sell millions as long as it comes in a Mass Effect box."

"Well, we can't do that."

"Yeah, no shi- look, I was making a point. Point is, we slap together a new game, put 'Mass Effect' on it, and bingo."

"We'll make billions."

"Yeee-up."

"I've got a bunch of QA testers and web designers are just about to be let go in Montreal."

"So...we call it 'Bioware Montreal'? Keep the branding."

"Yup. I'll go inform the investors and shareholder we're about to make bajillions."

"Awesome."
lithos is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 14th June 2017, 4:51 PM   #1112
havabeer

so finally got this, liked the other 3 thought i better play it even if the reviews aren't overly great.

just wondering is anyone else playing at 4k resolution? my rig just seems to struggle during cutscenes/dialogue. 2x titan xp's, 16gig ram + 5960x and it bogs down to around 30 - 50fps most annoying is when it swaps camera angles etc there's a very noticeable maybe half second pause, have everything on ultra except for AA which is set to FXAA

in game seems to run fine at a smooth 60fps (with g-sync) but the dialogue scenes are killing me.

i'll give it a shot with just a single card to see if its an SLI issue, any ideas? other then maybe turning settings down which i don't really want to do
Old 14th June 2017, 7:58 PM   #1113
Ck21

Quote:
Originally Posted by havabeer View Post
so finally got this, liked the other 3 thought i better play it even if the reviews aren't overly great.

just wondering is anyone else playing at 4k resolution? my rig just seems to struggle during cutscenes/dialogue. 2x titan xp's, 16gig ram + 5960x and it bogs down to around 30 - 50fps most annoying is when it swaps camera angles etc there's a very noticeable maybe half second pause, have everything on ultra except for AA which is set to FXAA

in game seems to run fine at a smooth 60fps (with g-sync) but the dialogue scenes are killing me.

i'll give it a shot with just a single card to see if its an SLI issue, any ideas? other then maybe turning settings down which i don't really want to do
I dont think its your rig.

The game had noticeable performance regressions with each successive patch (on my pc). Deleted once it got unplayable (the patch that added latest version of denuvo )
Geforce GTX1070 8GB
Ck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 9:36 PM   #1114
gtarmanrob

Quote:

i would test the SLI vs non-SLI thing first. i cant run @ 4k stable enough with my sig but it was playable. so you should kill it.

i rarely play on PC now so cant comment there, but on PS4 with current patches the MP netcode is improved massively. had a great time this arvo. also the MP packs from ME3 have returned (arsenal, reserves) etc and several other really good changes
PC: i7 7700K - Gigabyte Z270MX-G5 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200mhz - Gigabyte GTX Titan X 12GB - Antec 650w PSU - 1x Crucial M4 SSD 256GB - 1x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 2TB - Antec 1100 - ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 27"
Diablo 3: drgonzo86#6698 Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-65FY-3PF7
gtarmanrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 11:52 PM   #1115
havabeer

changing to single card only dropped FPS so SLI must be working.

dropping a few settings down (HBAO instead of HBAO full etc) and the FPS has improved in cut scenes. the ever so slight pauses between scenes/camera angles are there regardless of FPS.

i have to admit though at 4k this game does look glorious, especially out in the open the map textures area great. my only regret is that i tried to recreate my wife's visage (as i often do if playing a female role in games) but i've some how created a slightly sleepy looking blonde thai/phillipino

Old 15th June 2017, 8:46 PM   #1116
gtarmanrob

Do you have motion blur on? If so try turning that off. I usually hate motion blur anyway but i noticed a performance increase with it off

Edit: and yeah its so hard to create a decent female character haha. I kept my FemRyder white yet sort of themed her on the character from The Expanse. Forget her name...the black chick from the Rosi crew
PC: i7 7700K - Gigabyte Z270MX-G5 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200mhz - Gigabyte GTX Titan X 12GB - Antec 650w PSU - 1x Crucial M4 SSD 256GB - 1x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 2TB - Antec 1100 - ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 27"
Old 16th June 2017, 11:05 AM   #1117
MrBS

I've put about 20 hours into now, its okay. I bumped the res up to 4K for a minute of 5fps goodness. My word is the game beautiful at that resolution. Time to upgrade the PC!
MrBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 7:59 PM   #1118
gtarmanrob

This isnt really a spoiler but eventually you will visit a planet called Elaaden. Amazing looking planet, wont say any more. imo by far the best looking location
Old 25th June 2017, 5:13 PM   #1119
havabeer

well even if i've picked this up after all the facial animation updates i can still see what they're talking about. sometimes they're just horrible compared to what is actually going on in the scene.

also the dialogue is just terrible, especially the delivery from the female ryder. actually 90% of the females in this game sound like a flamboyant gay guy with a lisp. the fem shep in the first 3 was dam on point, sounded like a proper bad arse, properly in charge. The ryder chick just sounds confused by everything and can't deliver a speech to save her life. i'll see it out to the end though.

also the R&D setup is a bit weird, and emails and terminals seem a bit clunky and full of junk compared to the original series
Old 25th June 2017, 5:30 PM   #1120
jpw007

Picked it up for $50 from GMG, up to the second planet you land on (first as a path finder). I'm definitely enjoying it so far

jpw007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 5:41 PM   #1121
gtarmanrob

Quote:
well even if i've picked this up after all the facial animation updates i can still see what they're talking about. sometimes they're just horrible compared to what is actually going on in the scene.

also the dialogue is just terrible, especially the delivery from the female ryder. actually 90% of the females in this game sound like a flamboyant gay guy with a lisp. the fem shep in the first 3 was dam on point, sounded like a proper bad arse, properly in charge. The ryder chick just sounds confused by everything and can't deliver a speech to save her life. i'll see it out to the end though.

also the R&D setup is a bit weird, and emails and terminals seem a bit clunky and full of junk compared to the original series
while i agree for the most part, it is a bit petty from everyone really to focus so much on the animation. im not singling you out here by the way havabeer this isnt directed at you personally sure it is terrible mostly, but since Andromeda every game I have played, be it a 2017 or even 15/16 release, I have taken very close notice of facial queues and animations in relation to emotion and dialogue. Until Andromeda it never really bothered me that much, and even when i noticed it straight away it didnt deter me from playing the game one bit. but once the sickening hate-train that is todays internet community decided to jump on board and aerial bombard the SHIT out of this game, i decided to take a lot more notice of other famed games.

There are some real, real shockers out there that didn't get any kind of rap that Andromeda got. now I know after the ME Original Trilogy the bar was set high and we were expecting greatness, and it wasnt delivered. but still, everyone got their knickers in a knot over fuck all really imo, and the majority of the remaining haters really dont know shit and just jumped on the hate bandwagon and copy/pasted their opinions from the internet because these days, its the common, easy thing to do. unfortunately, we live in a society where the current state is a love to hate. and its pathetic and sad.

of course there are definite genuine distasteful opinions for the game out there, i believe that everyone here on OCAU is genuine in their opinion, and i have personally put by now close to 200hrs into the game across SP/MP and across platforms, yet if i was to give an honest, technical review, it gets a 6 from me. even after all those hours, and i am still playing MP on PS4, there is just too many technical issues to score it any higher if i was to be fair. but i still love playing it, its my type of game.

unfortunately, i just think it was a nice, fresh scapegoat for the community and industry to have another whinge and hate on something new, to feed that sad fire we just cant seem to put out. where its cool to hate.
Old 25th June 2017, 6:07 PM   #1122
havabeer

yeah some other games out there might be worse and yes the hype bar was set pretty high for this game which is why it is probably getting the unfavourable reviews it got. I'm still halfway through a witcher 3 second play though and the facial cues in that game are great

even the story is a bit weird, "hey we have this whole huge big team of experts on an expedition to settle another galaxy, but we better turn every mirco-managed decision about how and where to settle over to this total rookie who is still learning the ropes"??

i dunno, i guess i thought settling a new galaxy would be tough, and i thought the people doing would be hard as nails, instead it seems we get a school councillor trying to dance around selective gender kids trying not to offend anyone

also my biggest problem at the moment.... Alt-tabbing, game won't go back into fullscreen afterwards, have to change a setting, revert back and accept for it to refresh into fullscreen mode again

Last edited by havabeer; 25th June 2017 at 6:21 PM.
havabeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 10:38 AM   #1123
sTeeLzor

Im 70% way through ME2 and after that ill go do ME3 and then finally ill get to Andromeda. Looking forward to getting to it tbh.
sTeeLzor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 2:15 PM   #1124
GregDude

Quote:
well even if i've picked this up after all the facial animation updates i can still see what they're talking about. sometimes they're just horrible compared to what is actually going on in the scene. ...
I'm not sure what all the fuss was about, though my character had a kind of worried look throughout the game. Maybe he was just stressed about the new galaxy and constant life threatening moments?
GregDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 2:21 PM   #1125
MrBS

After 25 hours I've shelved the game indefinitely, just not doing it for me. I might come back after a PC upgrade and I can get 4K going.
MrBS is offline   Reply With Quote