Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old Yesterday, 9:50 PM   #5221
power

I think this counts, Microsoft just announced Daytona is available on back compat today, bagged a copy and played for a while. Great conversion. $10 well spent. https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/P...b1d?noSplash=1

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM   #5222
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
I think this counts, Microsoft just announced Daytona is available on back compat today, bagged a copy and played for a while. Great conversion. $10 well spent. https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/P...b1d?noSplash=1
Nice one, thanks for the heads up!
Old Today, 7:46 AM   #5223
flu!d
Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin Joe View Post
Coax cable FTW. Just don't forget the terminators!

#hardcoreretro

Seriously though, actually would be pretty cool to set up an old school network just for kicks. I can't remember if it was 10Base2 or 10Base5, but the last time I saw a Coax network was at my local TAFE in the mid-nineties learning Novell NetWare. I honestly doubt I'd remember how to use it as it's been so long!
Don't forget BBC's Econet...

Dell T5500, Xeon X5675 Hex core @ 3.46Ghz max, 16GB RAM, GTX 670FTW, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive, 2 x 1TB home/storage drives, Dual Acer V243HQ 1920 x 1080 monitors, Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS and loving it!
flu!d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 8:20 AM   #5224
badmofo

I had the electrition in this morning and he suggested we go with a wireless booster instead of digging up the backyard and laying cat6 cable. The distance from the house to the new room - which is standalone - isn't great; probs 15 meters. But alarm bells ring when I hear talk of boosting signals, etc - we need 100% of our possible bandwidth in the study. If anything we'd want the modem in the study and boost a wireless signal back to the house from there, but then we'd still be running a cable anyway to get ADLS to the study.

Anyone had experience with wireless boosters?

ta
Old Today, 8:29 AM   #5225
shane41

I don't like wireless. Full stop. When it comes to cables you can test easily.
We have enough bloody radio signals bouncing around us now, so why not boost more in your house too. Must be healthy for us right

More serious answer. Sounds like he does not want to dig.
Haha ...........might be a bit rude that picture.
shane41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 9:49 AM   #5226
badmofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane41 View Post
Yep I think the digging thing was more the issue - I'll dig it myself if it comes to that! Might as well do it right.
Old Today, 10:02 AM   #5227
Matthew kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmofo View Post
I had the electrition in this morning and he suggested we go with a wireless booster instead of digging up the backyard and laying cat6 cable. The distance from the house to the new room - which is standalone - isn't great; probs 15 meters. But alarm bells ring when I hear talk of boosting signals, etc - we need 100% of our possible bandwidth in the study. If anything we'd want the modem in the study and boost a wireless signal back to the house from there, but then we'd still be running a cable anyway to get ADLS to the study.

ta
Why not get another wideband wireless router and setup similar as a repeater so it covers the wireless surface area your main router doesn't?
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | 2 x Leadtek GTX680 4GB | PNY GTX465 unlocked to 470 (Physx) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter
Matthew kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:47 AM   #5228
adz Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmofo View Post

ta
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane41 View Post
I don't like wireless. Full stop. When it comes to cables you can test easily.
We have enough bloody radio signals bouncing around us now, so why not boost more in your house too. Must be healthy for us right

I concur with Mr. 41, he doesn't want to dig, I have a sparky mate who lives not that far from you if you want a second opinion? The other option is to dig the trench yourself.

Victoria - The $afety State

Last edited by adz; Today at 10:52 AM.
adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:29 AM   #5229
shane41

Dial before you dig as well. You used to get a FREE consultation .........
Worth it, not to hit any lines.

Guys......anyone have the busted Soyo motherboards with Silver capacitors?
3300uf 6.3v 10x25mm. Short about x10 of them to repair boards here.......
Haha ...........might be a bit rude that picture.
shane41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:49 AM   #5230
DonutKing

If I was building a new office or home extension I'd get it cabled for sure. Cables > wireless any day of the week.
Wireless repeaters basically halve your wifi bandwidth.

If you read up on some of the technology behind wifi and the problems they needed to solve - its a real miracle that it works at all.
Old Today, 1:30 PM   #5231
Spearchucka

I assume the power to the office is already installed. Another trench will probably be a PITA, so may I suggest overhead using galv wire rope and conduit. Cat5, phone and an extra pull through for the future. Easy to add or replace any problems.
Spearchucka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 1:57 PM   #5232
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutKing View Post
If you read up on some of the technology behind wifi and the problems they needed to solve - its a real miracle that it works at all.
Fairly typical of anything Australian's invent.
Old Today, 3:17 PM   #5233
badmofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearchucka View Post
I assume the power to the office is already installed. Another trench will probably be a PITA, so may I suggest overhead using galv wire rope and conduit. Cat5, phone and an extra pull through for the future. Easy to add or replace any problems.
Yep we have power out there but it's not mains apparently, just a loop off the house fuse box, so we might be digging for power anyway because we want a split system in the study... which might need mains.

Nothing's easy, but our wifi was mysteriously out today when I was trying to work from home - reboot modem, mash buttons on router, it came back eventually. But I'm taking it as a sign, gotta be wired.
Old Today, 3:28 PM   #5234
Daft_Munt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearchucka View Post
I would avoid that, especially if you are in a lightning prone area...fried retro gear.
Daft_Munt is offline   Reply With Quote