Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 12th November 2015, 11:38 PM   #1
Sgt Bilko Thread Starter

Default FX-8350 CPU Cooler Testing

Alrighty guys and girls,

No-one really does much in the way of cooler testing with AMD Chips (understandably so) but all i run is AMD and since i have some coolers here i figured why not throw them all in and find out what's what?

CPU: FX-8350
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 16GB AMD R9 Gamer Series @ 2400Mhz 11-12-12-31
PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 1200w
GPU: XFX Double Dissipation R9 290x
SSD: PNY XLR8 240GB SSD
Case: CM HAF Stacker 935
TIM: Noctua NT-H1

here are the voltages/clock speeds I know you want to see:

I'm going to use ROG Realbench for the temp testing as i've found it heat things up better that IBT or Prime95 and it's a bit applicable in the real world

Starting off with the stock 125w AMD cooler, Now i don't actually have the stock cooler that came with my 8350 i do however have the one that was on my Phenom 9750 and it has changed a little since then but not by a massive amount, the differences are the newer cooler has a bigger baseplate and it does not have a shroud over the fan so temps would be better than the one i have but not by a massive amount.

So at the stock 4.0 (with 4.2 Turbo) it hit 71.8c pretty easy tbh which means (at least on my chip) that the stock cooler is just that, a stock cooler but with the newer one i would hazard a guess and say you wouldn't go past 68c with it (better chip helps too).....and with 4.4 it hit 83.4c before BSOD kicked in.....so obviously there aren't any 4.6 or 4.8 tests here.

So Moving onto the Hyper 212, in my case it's a 212X but close enough imo.

we all know it, some love it and some hate it so after seeing how badly the stock cooler does with my chip the 212 can't be much better can it?

Not bad....4.6Ghz is under control pretty easy but 4.8 gets a little warm for my tastes.

And now the Seidon 120XL, The little budget 120mm AIO, I'll be using it in Push/Pull but also bear in mind that i have lapped this cooler since the finish on the coldplate was a bit meh out of the box:

And here are the temps:

I have to admit this AIO did a hell of alot better than i was expecting but there we go....

And because just to round this out and since i have one.....a CM Nepton 240m

i didn't do 5.0Ghz testing simply because my chip doesn't really like it that much and the voltage required for it would rule out everything but the 240m to post a valid result

So you've got the stock air cooler, an aftermarket air cooler, a 120mm AIO and a 240mm AIO which i think rounds it out pretty nicely, the only other one i could add which would be a high end air cooler which i may update the thread with in the future if people want to see it

Anyways, hope you guys find this somewhat informative or useful

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th November 2015, 9:50 AM   #2
MUTMAN

what thermal paste did you use ? i just learned to read good
did you cycle/cure the paste ?

nice write up man, thanks
MUTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 12:20 PM   #3
Sgt Bilko Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTMAN View Post
what thermal paste did you use ? i just learned to read good
did you cycle/cure the paste ?

nice write up man, thanks
Each test was done 5 times and all the results were pretty consistent with what temps ive had before