Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 6th May 2016, 10:42 PM   #1
rockit711 Thread Starter

Default Identifying an ASRock AMD motherboard revision version (via IDing the chipset)

I have an ASrock 980DE3/U3S3 "R2.0" board that was just issued to me as a replacement board from a warranty claim.

However I suspect that I was actually given a refurbished and "updated" R1.0 board instead.

Is there any way to tell through *software* which one I have? The biggest (possibly only) difference in terms of hardware is that the R1.0 board has a 760G chipset while the R2.0 has a 770 chipset. I tried "sudo lspci -v" command with my Ubuntu live USB, but it just reported SMD 7*0 chipset. So that isn't alot of help.

the BIOS reports an R2.0 BIOS.

Probably worth mentioning that there are some actual *physical* discrepancies on the board which is the reason I suspect something shady has been done-

There's a black sticker stuck over a "XFast USB" marking - from the pictures on the ASRock website the R2.0 boards don't have this marking the R1.0 boards DO.

There's also a sticker stuck over the part of the board that has the motherboard model- the sticker has "980DE3 U3S3 REV2.03" printed on it (as would be expected). But it seems really odd to put a sticker over what is in theory the same information on the board itself.

While I'm 100% sure its just BS, the retailer forbid me to peel the stickers off (claiming it will void the warranty) to see what they are covering. To be honest I think that in itself is pretty big evidence something is off here.

I know I could just peel the sticker off and confirm it (or pop a heatsink off and look at the chipset markings), but at this stage I'd like to focus on finding out via software if its at all possible, as the less I do to the actual board the less the retailer can try to pin on me.

Wasn't really sure where to post this.. not really troubleshooting so thought I'd put it here seeing as I'm asking about chipset ID.
rockit711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th May 2016, 10:06 AM   #2
dirtyd

Sounds pretty dodgy. CPU-Z should tell you the chipset.

Even if they have pulled a swifty, is there anything on the Rev 2.0 that you need? Might not be worth the hassle in the end.
"It is worthy of remark that a belief constantly inculcated during the early years of life, whilst the brain is impressible, appears to acquire almost the nature of an instinct; and the very essence of an instinct is that it is followed independently of reason." - Charles Darwin | trustworthy traders
dirtyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 12:07 PM   #3
rockit711 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd View Post
Sounds pretty dodgy
Dodgy it most certainly is. I hadn't included in my original post as it was a little irrelevant to IDing the chipset but the board also sports these issues:

What appears to be water/liquid marks over parts of it, and there was water trapped between the board and the CPU-socket backplate.

Solder splatter everywhere, and what looks to me to be heat distortion of the silkscreen layer in places.

UNDER the CPU retention clips there were 10-20 gouged out CPU-related circuit traces that look like the breaks had been bridged with solder (badly at that) and a dab of silicone put over them. I suspect they thought they could get away with this because they were mostly hidden by the CPU retention clips.

not exactly what I would expect from a "factory" refurbished board. Certainly not what I expected as a replacement for my ~8 month old board, a potentially much older board (not to mention potentially the wrong board all together) WITH Physical damage!

Quote:
Even if they have pulled a swifty, is there anything on the Rev 2.0 that you need?
I'm not sure exactly what differences there are between the two revisions, the ASRock website claims that R2.0 is an "upgrade" though. The R2.0 board does have some extra surge&ESD protection features according to its specs - always good to have (and hopefully never need). Also some of the power MOSFETS in the voltage converters look to use different chips- But only ASRock could tell if this was done for a technical reason or not.

Either way, In my mind this board is even worse than a R1.0 board, its some kind of Frankensteins monster board! Given how dodgily its been "refurbished" (and this is just the parts I can SEE!) I suspect it will have serious reliability issues, probably wont be as durable as a proper board would be (rev1 or rev2) and may well have all kinds of hidden issues.

Quote:
Might not be worth the hassle in the end.

They've treated me so badly (and with overwhelming dodginess) throughout the whole "process" (that this board is dodgy is actually just the tip of the iceberg!) that I'm more than willing to go through some hassle to make things right (and hopefully stop them pulling this kind of crap on other people in future).

Anyway I have confirmed the board is indeed a physical R1.03 board, I managed to massage the sticker covering the original label down into the gaps of the lettering enough that I could make out a R1.03 in relief on the tape.
rockit711 is offline   Reply With Quote