Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Business & Enterprise Computing

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 20th March 2017, 8:34 PM   #21676
tobes

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhappy View Post
Remember that Longreach job I was talking about? I never heard back because the fucking reply email has been sitting in my drafts for two weeks, I don't know why I never sent it but I could swear I did. So I can pretty confidently say that Netspace has likely cost me a job (as it refuses to work properly for anything but the web client, which sucks arse)... my move to Gmail can't finish quick enough.

But, in other news, I have a conundrum. I may have just landed a 3-4 week contract at a small quasi-family IT concern, which I'm pretty stoked about, but literally on the way to my interview, I got a phone call about someone on AusNOG in relation to a level 1 NOC engineer opening up in Melbourne in a few weeks for a large carrier that's not Telstra.

Here's the conundrum. That NOC engineer job would be a dream come true for me, if I landed it. Interview is in Brisbane next week, with positions opening up in a few weeks time, with any luck by the time my contract finishes at this place. If for some crazy reason this IT company wants to keep me, but for some crazier reason, I manage to score an invitation to join this very large carrier.

Watdo? I'd feel guilty for jumping ship, but there are two places in IT where I dream of ending up, because I love both of them - datacenters, and NOCs. I love both pretty much equally and if working in either one, or both, were my bread and butter, I'd probably be happy eating that shit up for life.

To that end, a level 1 NOC engineer feels like something that would be too good to be true, given my luck, and more my experience in IT (the place I might end up doing the contract for, the first IT job I've ever done). Perhaps someone might like to give me some insight into what a NOC engineer actually does, and what quals are involved. Or at the very least provide me with a sanity check.

P.S. No I'm not ungrateful for this position or anything, but when you reach out to me and dangle a dream job in front of my face.. that throws a bit of a spanner in the works for me. I am happy *wherever* in IT, more than happy to scrub the toilets in the office building if it results in a paycheck greater than Centrelink (which works out to $7.80/hr), but again... if something else that is your dream job happens to come up at the same time, what do you do? I feel like I'd be screwing this current place around somewhat.

Guilty conscience...

P.S. What happens if this NOC job is a goer before my contract finishes? Would said massive employer be happy to wait a week or two, or would they just bump me off the list for someone else? While I won't pass up anything in IT right now, a NOC (or datacenter) job is something I REALLY don't want to pass up. I could also be a massive idiot about everything and have rose tinted glasses on. I really don't know.
Number 1. Never feel guilty about pursuing a passion. Choose yourself and choose the role that you're going to be happy in.

Number 2. I don't foresee any issues with telling the NOC role that you can't start for a month. They are probably planning for that anyway. Most notice periods are that sort of time anyway.

Number 3. Chase your dream!
tobes is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 20th March 2017, 9:26 PM   #21677
Great_Guru

Relevant to all who are feeling burn out.

itrevolution.com/karojisatsu/

http://blog.rescuetime.com/2017/02/08/burnout/

I found them both an interesting read and hope that none of the OCAU comrades are feeling like this. If you do TALK to someone whether it be some one you know or keep it anonymous over the forums here.
Great_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 10:46 PM   #21678
mooboyj

Started a new job today. The people are cool, 15 minute billing increments and needed to account for all of my day will be interesting.

Lots of networking, DB and MS, zero Linux as they found all of the previous Linux people unreliable

Start at the local TAFE tomorrow to finally do the CCNA exams. The course is dirt cheap, so happy with that.

I'll give it a few months and see if I can stick it out or whether it causes me to melt down
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation" Adolf Hitler Stephen Conroy
mooboyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 11:07 AM   #21679
chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooboyj View Post
Start at the local TAFE tomorrow to finally do the CCNA exams. The course is dirt cheap, so happy with that.
You're in Perth, aren't you? Which TAFE was that at?
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 11:19 AM   #21680
Hive

HP... it is now Tuesday, four days past due SLA for your "next business day onsite" i don't care if it's dalby or on the fucking moon. Next business day is next business day, fly one of your monkeys over if necessary.

So fucking incompetent they have had to ask 2-3 times to supply the address, availability and contact, probably lost the master clipboard containing all warranty jobs in progress. SAD!
Meanwhile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke212 View Post
both of which is why for any purpose you can throw at it, a single core always demolishes any multi core.
Hive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 11:22 AM   #21681
Gunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hive View Post
HP... it is now Tuesday, four days past due SLA for your "next business day onsite" i don't care if it's dalby or on the fucking moon. Next business day is next business day, fly one of your monkeys over if necessary.

So fucking incompetent they have had to ask 2-3 times to supply the address, availability and contact, probably lost the master clipboard containing all warranty jobs in progress. SAD!
Our last 3 cases for Dell have gone the same way. NBD for all workstations\laptops and in the 1st case it took 2 weeks to replace a hard drive in a laptop and 4 business days to get a tech booked in to replace a keyboard on 2 laptops.
Gunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 11:25 AM   #21682
Hive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
Our last 3 cases for Dell have gone the same way. NBD for all workstations\laptops and in the 1st case it took 2 weeks to replace a hard drive in a laptop and 4 business days to get a tech booked in to replace a keyboard on 2 laptops.
But this is a dead server with a 5 year warranty on it...
Meanwhile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke212 View Post
both of which is why for any purpose you can throw at it, a single core always demolishes any multi core.
Hive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 11:26 AM   #21683
freaky_beeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobes View Post
Number 1. Never feel guilty about pursuing a passion. Choose yourself and choose the role that you're going to be happy in.

Number 2. I don't foresee any issues with telling the NOC role that you can't start for a month. They are probably planning for that anyway. Most notice periods are that sort of time anyway.

Number 3. Chase your dream!
This advice rings true to me as well.

Always take care of yourself, as no-one else will.

The big company would definitely be expecting a 2-4week delay (unless otherwise stated) before your start date, so just make it clear what your availability is, e.g. currently contracted until date x, earliest start date is y and you should have no problems.

As for the company that's giving you a (short) opportunity, if you make it clear that given the length of the contract, you're still looking at alternative opportunities with greater contract lengths, then everything is clear when if/when you manage to secure this alternate position.

Like most things in life, manage others expectations and you shouldn't have any issues.
Old 21st March 2017, 11:53 AM   #21684
mooboyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
You're in Perth, aren't you? Which TAFE was that at?
Thornlie TAFE. I am still waiting for some details which is a touch alarming... The course is on tonight, so I wanted to get cracking!
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation" Adolf Hitler Stephen Conroy
mooboyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 12:41 PM   #21685
disguisey

Quote:
Thornlie TAFE. I am still waiting for some details which is a touch alarming... The course is on tonight, so I wanted to get cracking!
Been Eyeing off that course as well. About Half the price than the TAFE in the city is offering for the course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trop View Post
Guessing your about 17 with an old pulsar with a huge wing and a fart cannon? Sounds like the right mentality anyway.
disguisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 1:07 PM   #21686
Luke212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hive View Post
But this is a dead server with a 5 year warranty on it...
maybe they mean 5 year SLA turnaround time.
Old 21st March 2017, 1:22 PM   #21687
chip

Quote:
interesting. I tried enrolling in some optic fibre courses at a Central TAFE, and they lost my application twice. Seems like getting students enrolled isn't much of a priority for Perth TAFEs
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 1:32 PM   #21688
mr_death44

Quote:
Originally Posted by disguisey View Post
Been Eyeing off that course as well. About Half the price than the TAFE in the city is offering for the course.
At least it's not midland... that tafe was terrible!
mr_death44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 2:58 PM   #21689
freaky_beeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Guru View Post
Relevant to all who are feeling burn out.

http://itrevolution.com/karojisatsu/

http://blog.rescuetime.com/2017/02/08/burnout/

I found them both an interesting read and hope that none of the OCAU comrades are feeling like this. If you do TALK to someone whether it be some one you know or keep it anonymous over the forums here.
Thanks for the links, very interesting articles. I think my personal philosophy is staving off the predicted/inevitable end that both these articles reference, however this certainly brings into question how much longer that may be the case and emphasises the need for change.
Old 21st March 2017, 3:23 PM   #21690
Dre_

In a Microsoft run Azure training session in Sydney.
So much misinformation, so much skimping over important stuff.
Dre_ is offline   Reply With Quote