OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 14th October 2013, 1:23 PM   #61
Pinkeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefoBryso View Post
How do you figure this? GTA has always come out on console first, before PC, going way back to GTAIII. Console is probably where they make most of their money each release, due to the ease of piracy on PC. So you shouldn't be surprised the PC version will be delayed for PC since you plan on pirating it anyway, and ultimately contributing to the argument for not releasing GTA6 on PC at the same time as consoles (when it comes around)..
Grand Theft Auto
Release date(s)
October 1997

PC
EU October 1997
NA 28 February 1998
Steam
WW 4 January 2008
PlayStation
EU 14 December 1997
NA 30 June 1998
Game Boy Color
EU October 1999
NA 22 November 1999

Last edited by Pinkeh; 14th October 2013 at 1:27 PM.
Pinkeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 14th October 2013, 1:24 PM   #62
AcCeSs-DeNieD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabba View Post
GTA 1 was released for PS1 and PC on October 1997
Just to be accurate, it says that GTA1 came out on PC October 1997 then PS1 on 14th December 1997
AcCeSs-DeNieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 1:25 PM   #63
ck_psy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreegor View Post
I haven't upgraded my machine for over a year and can still play the latest games on High. Ultra... well that's a different story but the good thing is I can customise options to make it look awesome and still run great.
I can probably manage one monitor,
but more than one and i run into issues heh.
ck_psy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 1:28 PM   #64
Pinkeh

I remember reading a PC magazine pre 2000 that the idea for Grand Theft Auto game came about during the development of another PC game by DMA Design (Before it became R*), and it nearly didn't become a reality without some clever marketing by PR guru Max Clifford. Plant some controversial stories in the press, free publicity - source.

GTA 3 being the big one? HAH. Was playing 1 & 2 on PC long before 3.

Last edited by Pinkeh; 14th October 2013 at 1:35 PM.
Old 14th October 2013, 1:35 PM   #65
kreegor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck_psy View Post
I can probably manage one monitor,
but more than one and i run into issues heh.
Ah ok. So why not run it on just one monitor? You'll essentially be doing that with the console anyway and it will look worse.
kreegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 1:40 PM   #66
DefoBryso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkeh View Post
Grand Theft Auto
Release date(s)
October 1997
In case people are having trouble translating my plain english post, I'll re-word it slightly to say,
Since GTAIII it has always come out on console first, before PC.

Thanks

No one should be surprised this time around for GTAV, it sucks, but show your support and buy it for PC when it's released. Show R* PC gaming is where it's at, and maybe they'll release their next game (GTAVI?) on all platforms simultaneously.
OCAU // Drummer Club #28

|Last.fm|
DefoBryso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 1:43 PM   #67
Pinkeh

Because GTA3 on consoles were not being pirated at all.

ADDED: If it helps you strengthen your original statement. Sure. But your argument is still based on the notion that PC piracy being the reason that R* releases to consoles first (which is flimsy at best).

How about not having to QA test a myriad of different hardware/OS configurations as opposed to the Xbox/PS3?
With the performance of game engines today, they're pushing those ancient gaming consoles to the limit to get every bit of quality they can get on screen (and the game is still released buggy).

PC Games are compounded by the fact that they have to contend with multiple OS/hardware/software/driver compatibility issues. A reasonable person would see this as a stronger argument than that of pc/console piracy.

Last edited by Pinkeh; 14th October 2013 at 1:58 PM.
Old 14th October 2013, 1:50 PM   #68
r8response

Quote:
People pirating games on consoles? Geez you really are full of shit Pinkeh. Everyone knows it's those evil PC people that pirate everything... EVERYTHING I TELLS YAH

r8response is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 2:01 PM   #69
Pinkeh

Heh those evil pirates. What about those evil second hand merchants like brick and mortar stores... pillaging potential revenue from game publishers/developers?
Old 14th October 2013, 2:03 PM   #70
kreegor

Quote:

ADDED: If it helps you strengthen your original statement. Sure. But your argument is still based on the notion that PC piracy being the reason that R* releases to consoles first (which is flimsy at best).

How about not having to QA test a myriad of different hardware/OS configurations as opposed to the Xbox/PS3?
With the performance of game engines today, they're pushing those ancient gaming consoles to the limit to get every bit of quality they can get on screen (and the game is still released buggy).

PC Games are compounded by the fact that they have to contend with multiple OS/hardware/software/driver compatibility issues. A reasonable person would see this as a stronger argument than that of pc/console piracy.
Or the fact that it's believed that someone paid a lot of money to Rockstar to make this a console exclusive (at least at the start anyway).

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/10/08/in...ive-very-long/
Old 14th October 2013, 2:21 PM   #71
r8response

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreegor View Post
Or the fact that it's believed that someone paid a lot of money to Rockstar to make this a console exclusive (at least at the start anyway).

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/10/08/in...ive-very-long/
If as the journo is suggesting and they paid a chunk to make it console exclusive, wouldn't one side (Sony/MS) be getting some sort of exclusivity from it?

Unless of course it was both, but that seems even more far fetched.
r8response is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 2:32 PM   #72
Sharpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefoBryso View Post
No one should be surprised this time around for GTAV, it sucks, but show your support and buy it for PC when it's released. Show R* PC gaming is where it's at, and maybe they'll release their next game (GTAVI?) on all platforms simultaneously.
Why do that when people seem to buy it for console then double dip for PC. If they released it all at the same time those people would just buy it for PC and never for console.
Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 2:45 PM   #73
Pinkeh

I just want to use my KB+Mouse to play GTA V :/ Honestly dont care which platform it is. I just want to play it the way i want to.

I'm pretty bad at aiming/sniping with the joystick on the xbox gamepad.

Last edited by Pinkeh; 14th October 2013 at 2:53 PM.
Old 14th October 2013, 2:45 PM   #74
roamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
Why do that when people seem to buy it for console then double dip for PC. If they released it all at the same time those people would just buy it for PC and never for console.
exactly, i have finished it on ps3 besides some of the side shit. played a lot of online time and think its great fun, but once it hits pc's i will buy it again and do it all over again, my missus wont be happy about that but bad luck lol
Caselabs S8, I7 6700k @ 4.6ghz, giga Z170x Designare mobo, 32gb Corsair ddr4, 2x Evo 850 1TB in raid0, 1080ti Founders Edition with EK block, Creative titanium hd sound, 3x xspc 360 rads, ek cpu block, aquacomputer aqualis 440ml, aquacomputer D5 pump, acrlyic custom bent tubing.
roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 2:46 PM   #75
kreegor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
I understand why they do it. I don't like it but I understand it.

I haven't bought (or played) a GTA game since Vice City. I am interested in this one because I reckon it looks great.