Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 23rd February 2014, 9:00 PM   #31
BuuBox

Bit quiet in here lately!

Played with a Diamond Multimedia Monster 3D Voodoo 1 card today.

Click to view full size!

Got it in unknown condition. Tried it in an early Socket A system I had set up but only got a corrupted display so was a bit worried. Found a thread on Vogons that hinted at an incompatibility between the Socket A VIA KT133A chipset so put it in an earlier Socket 7 system and it works perfectly.

Giving Tomb Raider a bash after many years (there's a 3dfx patch for it).
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 24th February 2014, 1:57 PM   #32
adz Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox View Post
Bit quiet in here lately!

Played with a Diamond Multimedia Monster 3D Voodoo 1 card today.

pix

Got it in unknown condition. Tried it in an early Socket A system I had set up but only got a corrupted display so was a bit worried. Found a thread on Vogons that hinted at an incompatibility between the Socket A VIA KT133A chipset so put it in an earlier Socket 7 system and it works perfectly.

Giving Tomb Raider a bash after many years (there's a 3dfx patch for it).
Can't speak for anyone else but being back at work hasn't left me with much spare time, I recently received a batch of CF-IDE adapters so my socket 7 DOS box is going to get a little upgrade soon!

Nice to see some 3Dfx action in this thread! I might go looking for a socket 370 board so I can get my PIII-S 1.26GHz Tualatin going in my Voodoo II rig.

Victoria - The $afety State
adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 10:57 AM   #33
BuuBox

Set up a Super Socket 7 system around a Gigabyte GA-5AX yesterday. AMD K6-2 500MHz (5 x 100MHz), 128MB PC133, Nvidia TNT2 (crappy M64 version).

I want to install DOS 6.22, having some trouble though. The first HDD I had was a 40GB WD, and I'm having all sorts of issues formatting and partitioning it (and getting it to boot). The last straw was hieroglyphics at the DOS prompt after formatting a 2GB partition.

Went to a 10GB Maxtor drive, and installed Windows 98 first. All went well. Then decided to install DOS 6.22 - deleted the partition first and formatted, but the drive only gets shown as 504MB in DOS (with 100% of the drive used). Any ideas?

Tried a BIOS update, replacing IDE cables, and ran a Memtest. Nothing fixed the 40GB drive (might be dead), and I can't get the 10GB to show over 504MB.
Old 26th February 2014, 11:06 AM   #34
pcs

from memory you need to use a drive overlay app for dos 6.22, last time i played around with this stuff was 12+ years ago
pcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 11:27 AM   #35
pfrcom

Quote:
Went to a 10GB Maxtor drive
but the drive only gets shown as 504MB in DOS (with 100% of the drive used)
Stating the bleedin' obvious, but ...
... incompatibility between GA-5AX and Maxtor

Those ALi chipsets had a few issues, AFAIR

Less frustration involved if you get a BX/ZX chipset board and a Slot1 processor, or a Via powered board for the K6

If you want to make a trip to 3114, could try out your Maxtor on such a combo
pfrcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 11:45 AM   #36
BuuBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfrcom View Post
Those ALi chipsets had a few issues, AFAIR

If you want to make a trip to 3114, could try out your Maxtor on such a combo
It does seem that way. The 10GB worked fine with Windows 98 though. I might try a PCI ATA card I have and see if it changes anything. I think it has a format option which might be useful on the 40GB drive.

Funnily enough I have an Asus SP97-V based Socket 7 system with an SiS chipset (!) and it takes anything I can throw at it without complaint even with a modified BIOS to allow later CPUs (like the K6-3) and a faster FSB (from 75 to 83). It doesn't have AGP though, which probably helps.

Thanks for the offer. I'll see how desperate I get.
Old 26th February 2014, 12:23 PM   #37
adz Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs View Post
from memory you need to use a drive overlay app for dos 6.22, last time i played around with this stuff was 12+ years ago
+1 on that. I recall the multi GB drives back then shipped with a 1.44" FD with said driver, worked a treat. Another option would be something like a CF-IDE adapter and a 2GB CF card, much like what I am about to do.

Victoria - The $afety State
adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 10:16 PM   #38
callan

Dug up this old fossil from storage today. (Apologies for the grotty photo)

I'm not sure if it's a BBC-B or BBC-A, and it's very gunged up.

I'm not much of a Beeb man myself, but I'd like to get it restored. It IS, after all a true 2 Mhz 6502 system, with the fastest BASIC around - and makes the best ELITE machine out there

I have a couple of projects ahead of it, but at least in the next couple of weeks I'd still like to clean it up, check it over, and make it safe to power on.

Callan
Old 28th February 2014, 10:43 AM   #39
badmofo

Pretty quiet over this way for one reason or another. I'm in the process of selling a nice little 286 I restored a while back - on one hand I'd like to keep it but on the other I really can't imagine ever needing it, and I do my best to keep my collection lean for fear of turning into a hoarder.

Otherwise I've just been working my way through the original DOOM 3 - it's way more fun than I remember but it's long for a shooter, and the constant darkness and claustrophobic nature of the levels is overdone.

Once DOOM's done I picked up this Yamaha GM device recently and I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds. I have Yamaha daughterboards so I'll be interested to compare this thing to those and my Roland SC-55:

badmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 12:16 PM   #40
BuuBox

I wondered if that 286 desktop on eBay was an OCAUers. Much interest?

Only thing I've done over the last few days is buy a Nvidia TNT card for a DOS 6.22 / Windows 3.11 machine. Just about the latest card that has Windows 3.11 drivers and UniVBE support from what I can work out.

I wanted a Voodoo 3, but they're hard to find and quite pricey.
Old 28th February 2014, 3:47 PM   #41
badmofo

Quote:
I wondered if that 286 desktop on eBay was an OCAUers. Much interest?
Yep it's mine The asking price could be considered a bit cheeky I suppose but it's a pretty unique machine, being a late-ish example of a 286 in great condition. And there's a real Adlib in it!

I've had one enquiry from a guy interested in the guts of it only, and I ummed and ahhed over whether I wanted to break up such a nice little system, but in the end decided that I would if it came to that.

I have a Voodoo3 3000(?) here if you're still after one.
Old 28th February 2014, 4:18 PM   #42
DonutKing

Quote:
I've had one enquiry from a guy interested in the guts of it only, and I ummed and ahhed over whether I wanted to break up such a nice little system, but in the end decided that I would if it came to that.
I always get at least one of those. It doesn't matter how bold and large you type 'will not split' in the description, someone always asks.
DonutKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 5:08 PM   #43
BuuBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutKing View Post
I always get at least one of those. It doesn't matter how bold and large you type 'will not split' in the description, someone always asks.
The issue is that half of the fun of retro-computing is building it in the first place. It's cheating buying a pre-built retro machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmofo View Post
Yep it's mine The asking price could be considered a bit cheeky I suppose but it's a pretty unique machine, being a late-ish example of a 286 in great condition. And there's a real Adlib in it!

I have a Voodoo3 3000(?) here if you're still after one.
That 286 is very nice. It's the major hole in my current collection, and the first PC I used extensively. If I had some space, I'd make an offer - very tempting. I even think I've got some SIPP modules around somewhere (or at least some 256KB SIMMs to get creative with).

I'll send you a PM about the Voodoo 3.
Old 28th February 2014, 6:45 PM   #44
badmofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutKing View Post
I usually get the BIN "I'll pick it up tonight" offers on an auction listing

If I did sell this thing for the asking price AND get to keep the case / PSU / drives then it's actually a good deal for me - I like that case!
Old 14th March 2014, 10:21 PM   #45
DonutKing

Big day for me tomorrow so quiet one tonight...

I'm lacking a joystick for my Amiga so I dug up an old 3 button sega megadrive controller.

These use the same 9 pin interface that Commodore/Atari joysticks used. However since its actually got a couple of extra buttons and the interface normally only supports 2 buttons, these gamepads had an extra chip inside to multiplex the signals.

This chip's select line is connected to the +5V line of the joystick port. There's a dedicated +5V line in the controller, but in a commodore/atari this isn't connected, everything is powered through the select line. Normally it will work with most games, but some games get confused and won't activate the second button.

The fix is quite easy - cut the select line, and wire the +5V line on the controller into the +5V line from the joystick port. The select line has a pullup resistor connected to +5V which will pull its logic state high, even if the wire is cut, so you can still use the d-pad and the B and C buttons.

Since button A is unused, I cut its output line and wired it to UP on the d-pad. This is because a lot of older games required you to hold UP on the joystick to jump or accelerate - most joysticks of the time only had a single button, used for other purposes. So now I have a jump button plus two fire/action buttons

Quite the productive night
DonutKing is offline   Reply With Quote