Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 20th March 2017, 12:08 PM   #5191
shane41

Nice another electronic type guy
Haha ...........might be a bit rude that picture.
shane41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 20th March 2017, 8:52 PM   #5192
BuuBox

Got in the mood for a Socket 754 build from Phil's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OFaWs136eY

Picked up the same Energy motherboard from eBay, put in a Sempron 2800+ (which I think Shane sent me ages ago), an Aureal Vortex 2 (thanks badmofo), 2 x 512MB of OCZ PC3200 DDR1, and a Geforce FX5900 Ultra.

Gone together really well. I've been trying to put together a MATX system for ages, and have struggled with a SS7 and a Tualatin build which were both a pain. This has been rock solid so far.

Might find an Athlon 64 3200+ for it...

Click to view full size!

Last edited by BuuBox; 20th March 2017 at 8:56 PM.
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 9:19 PM   #5193
shane41

Send back the processor now OK Psu.....should I be worried?
Can't read it. Diaster Master
Old 20th March 2017, 9:48 PM   #5194
BuuBox

Yeah, it's a cheapie.

Has age on its side. Passes the physical test, and has stable voltages.

Old design with 30A on the 5 volt rail.
Old 20th March 2017, 10:25 PM   #5195
cbjaust

I've been playing with an AN7 and at the moment an Athlon 900 (Thunderbird, 130nm) with a GeForce2 MX for Old School is Best School Season 3 Round 4 over at hwbot - right up your alley Shane41.

After I've wrung as much %OC out of the Athlon 900 I'm going to bring out my big gun - XP-M 2500+ and I've got a GeForce2 Ti coming from Fleabay.

cbjaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 9:24 AM   #5196
shane41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjaust View Post
I've been playing with an AN7 and at the moment an Athlon 900 (Thunderbird, 130nm) with a GeForce2 MX for Old School is Best School Season 3 Round 4 over at hwbot - right up your alley Shane41.

After I've wrung as much %OC out of the Athlon 900 I'm going to bring out my big gun - XP-M 2500+ and I've got a GeForce2 Ti coming from Fleabay.
Big gun hey I've got one here I bought from Europe = expensive
I affectionately call it the Scandinavian Scud Missile.

Love nothing more than racing some 462's ........ been looking @ those Hwbot scores
Old 21st March 2017, 9:35 AM   #5197
shane41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox View Post
Yeah, it's a cheapie.

Has age on its side. Passes the physical test, and has stable voltages.

Old design with 30A on the 5 volt rail.
I'm not doing the be careful thing here Buubox. Yes I am Power Supplies man they are just a moments away from killing
your machine. Stable voltages mean nothing with age. Capacitors manufacturers use " some on the cheap " are failing all over the place.

I replaced a dozen or so in the x2 Antec's the other day. They measured super stable too. Don't ever trust them, be sure of the condition first.
So what I've seen now peeling back the lids......I have to check others now.
Old 21st March 2017, 9:46 AM   #5198
badmofo

Am planning a new mancave here - the old mancave is getting the chop in a soon-to-be-started house renovation.

I'm getting the professionals in this time - my plastering efforts in the existing home office have been the butt of many jokes; some of them quite hurtful

I will be asking the sparky about dimmable lights - mancaves need to be dark sometimes. I'll be asking him to install lots of powerpoints and have at least one data point on each wall - do you guys have any other tips for a functional home office?
Old 21st March 2017, 10:01 AM   #5199
shane41

I was going to say a hot secretary Powerpoints man, make sure they are the height of your desk. ie 70-80cm. Shits me all the time plugging in down below tables .... for when your testing etc. Lot's of shelving & different heights.
Old 21st March 2017, 10:05 AM   #5200
StratosFear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmofo View Post
I will be asking the sparky about dimmable lights - mancaves need to be dark sometimes.
I'd consider going with Lifx or something similar. Relatively cheap and dimmable from phone, RGB etc.
StratosFear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 10:19 AM   #5201
Datsun 1600

When it comes to power points, my Electrician used a run of wire starting at one side of the door drilling holes through every stud about 500mm above the floor, let the wire droop till it just touched the stud plate between the studs and terminated at a power point on the other side of the door. With the amount of slack in the wiring, power points can be added anywhere in the room after working out the placement of furniture.
G6950, ECS H55H-I, 8Gb G-Skill Sniper 1600
Datsun 1600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 10:31 AM   #5202
BuuBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane41 View Post
I'm not doing the be careful thing here Buubox. Yes I am Power Supplies man they are just a moments away from killing
your machine. Stable voltages mean nothing with age. Capacitors manufacturers use " some on the cheap " are failing all over the place.

I replaced a dozen or so in the x2 Antec's the other day. They measured super stable too. Don't ever trust them, be sure of the condition first.
So what I've seen now peeling back the lids......I have to check others now.
This PSU is quite new (2015?) and has barely any hours on it. Its biggest failing was that it is a ATX12V 1.x design sold in a ATX12V 2.x world (beneficial for my uses).

If it was an old PSU of any brand with thousands of hours on it, I'd be more concerned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmofo View Post
Am planning a new mancave here - the old mancave is getting the chop in a soon-to-be-started house renovation.
Nice! Keep us updated.
Old 21st March 2017, 10:56 AM   #5203
DonutKing

My advice is get some insulation in the walls to deaden the sound... so you don't wake anybody up with the late night gaming sessions (or loud swearing when things aren't quite working)
Old 21st March 2017, 11:21 AM   #5204
badmofo

Good tips thanks guys keep them coming!

Having power points up at desk level is a great idea, at least for the wall I'm planning on lining with computers. Will give that some thought and will make detailed notes about where the wiring runs to make changing things around easy going forward.

Am also interested in the smart bulb thing but it's going to be a big room with 4-6 ceiling lights, so not sure that I'm ready to invest to that level. Might just have a floor lamp in the corner to experiment with and keep the main lighting old school for now.

Regarding insulation - I need to do some more research but the builder has suggested we need accoustic insulation. I need to understand what that means - my wife / hot secretary is very concerned about the heating / cooling factor, and yes I'd like to be able to swear like a sailor when required.

We're going with double glass doors at one end but with blinds, and no windows, so I shouldn't have too much trouble keeping those plastic yellowing UV rays off my vintage plastics
Old 21st March 2017, 12:30 PM   #5205
shane41

So I had this Trusted psu cable tied in good & proper.
You would all trust it right, good brand & all that?

Like them Fuhijju "Nagasaki" capacitors Matthew, Pfrcom does too