Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 8th December 2015, 10:45 AM   #136
hvalac

AMD AM4 motherboards rumoured to launch as early as March 2016

Quote:
The rumour mill has powered back up this week, bringing us information regarding AMD’s future AM4 socket motherboards, which could launch as early as March next year, according to new reports. The new socket will support AMD’s upcoming Zen processors, along with Bristol Ridge APUs, it will also bring along full DDR4 RAM support, amongst other platform improvements.
The new information comes from German tech site, Planet3DNow, so do keep that in mind as we have no way of verifying their source. In the report, the site reaches out to a motherboard manufacturer and was told that the internal timetable for AM4’s launch is currently March 2016, which is earlier than previously anticipated.
http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/up...6672925133.jpg
It is worth noting that Socket AM4 will support both future FX CPUs and APUs, so while AM4 motherboards may arrive as early as March, Zen won’t be ready until Q4 next year, so we will only see APUs taking advantage of the new platform features until then.
That said, we have heard plenty of talk about Zen in recent weeks, with previous reports claiming that the CPU has already been taped out and met all internal performance expectations, with no bottlenecks.

Originally Posted by jmart38 They're rude because they have to deal with idiots like me all the time.

Originally Posted by Philll First, let's count the amount of fucks I give about what anyone else thinks. Let's do it, we'll start with 0. Okay: 0. All done.
hvalac is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 8th December 2015, 11:37 AM   #137
Sologuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvalac View Post
*text*
AM4 platforms before updated FX series?? ... can't come soon enough imo.. only been waiting since 2012..
Sologuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 10:18 AM   #138
Sologuy

Looks like desktop Excavator based architecture coming to market before Zen... something new to play with until the 'magical' Zen arrives?

Upcoming Bristol Ridge APU's detailed in this leak...
Sologuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2015, 10:47 AM   #139
hvalac

AMD reaffirms Zen CPUs are coming to desktops in 2016

Quote:
AMD has once again confirmed that its new Zen architecture CPUs for desktops are on target for a 2016 launch, following reports that the AM4 platform is due to launch as early as March. This marks the second time that AMD has officially confirmed that its new CPU architecture will launch next year, which will replace the current batch of FX-series processors.
This update came out during the Raymond James Technology Investors Conference (Via Wccftech), during which AMD’s CFO, Devinder Kumar discussed some of the business plan for the next year, which includes stabilizing the computer and graphics businesses.

“I think the key is getting through 2016 is to continue to stabilize the computing and graphics business, commercial, professional graphics embedded and even the high-end desktops with the Zen Core should all be accretive from a margin standpoint.”
While Zen is launching next year, it won’t be the first part to make use of the AM4 platform, as some new APUs are set to launch earlier in the year, which will also take advantage of the socket. Right now, it is also believed that Zen has been taped out and has met its internal performance expectations with no significant bottlenecks.

Originally Posted by jmart38 They're rude because they have to deal with idiots like me all the time.

Originally Posted by Philll First, let's count the amount of fucks I give about what anyone else thinks. Let's do it, we'll start with 0. Okay: 0. All done.
Old 14th December 2015, 4:04 PM   #140
vid_ghost

Here's hoping that Zen really is something worth talking about because if its not then we will all be talking about how AMD used to be this company that used to make CPU's but its nothing more then just a patent holding company now.
Old 15th December 2015, 5:33 PM   #141
Rod M

I am confident the AM4/Zen project works due to Jim Keller being involved till just a couple months ago (one of the former DEC Alpha CPU Engineers)

last time he worked for AMD they released the Athlon which proved to be very competitive against Intel,
Old 15th December 2015, 6:35 PM   #142
mr_mordred2095

Great, 40% more IPC, so it can STILL be slower than a Celeron clock-for-clock
mr_mordred2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2015, 10:17 PM   #143
Toliandar

AMD will be using Samsung's fabs

That's really good news for AMD as I believe the Samsung fabs are about as good as Intel's fabs which should be beneficial in for both their CPUs and GPUs.
Toliandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016, 1:44 AM   #144
hvalac

AMD said to be working on Zen APU with HBM

Quote:
It looks like we can expect an AMD APU based on the Zen architecture in the future, though rather interestingly, it will include stacked High-Bandwidth Memory (HBM) with bandwidth speeds of 128GB/s along with a larger onboard GPU for better gaming performance.
This information comes to light from a paper(via: wccftech), which was co-authored by AMD graphics engineer, Mike Mantor. The paper shows that this Zen-based APU would make use of an upgraded version of the memory technology found in Carrizo, which started off as an improved design over the memory interconnects found on the current generation consoles.

On top of that, the Zen APU is shown to use stacked HBM with 128GB/s of bandwidth. Aside from that, we don’t know much more at this time, though earlier reports have suggested that Zen-based APUs won’t arrive until 2017, following the release of desktop Zen CPUs in the fourth quarter of 2016.
As far as the use of HBM goes, we do know that some of next year’s GPUs from both Nvidia (Pascal) and AMD (Arctic Islands) will make use of second generation High-Bandwidth Memory though it looks like this Zen-based APU will be using first generation HBM technology instead.

Old 3rd January 2016, 1:27 PM   #145
itsmydamnation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_mordred2095 View Post
Great, 40% more IPC, so it can STILL be slower than a Celeron clock-for-clock
fucken sigh... clue please.

first off celeron is the same core as "core" IPC is the same. Infact IPC might be higher because you have no 3 operand/AVX so you need more ops to do the same work as AVX.

Second IPC is 40% compared to EX, EX is 5-20% IPC over Steamroller (average is around 12%). Steamroller is around 5-15%(on average 10%) over pile driver IPC ( had a clock reduction that made 100watt parts equal absolute perf to piledirver) and then you have L3 cache between FX4300 and A* parts which is anywhere from 0-10% "IPC" depending on workload.

so comparing to piledriver FX-8XXX your looking at ~ 1.72-1.8 times IPC for Zen vs piledriver (1*1.1*1.12*1.4 (optional *1.1)) which if you look at http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1543?vs=697 put clock for clock right around 6700K.

clocks are a unknown other then AMD has said Zen is clocked closer to CON then CAT cores. But we do know we will be getting 8core 16thread parts on FM3/AM4. So compared to HEDT a high core Zen PC is going to be significatly cheaper ( who needs quad channel DDR4, honestly)...........
OCAU Guitar Players Club #22
xp2500 @2310 210x11 stock hsf |asus a7n8x deluxe | 1024mb ddr400 | X800 445/515
Get a grip adolf, you lost the war, and you can't kill any more jews.
Rhythm in jump. dancing close to you D3 account1 D3 account 2
itsmydamnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016, 1:50 PM   #146
aussie-revhead

What do we honestly hope ZEN can achieve? Get some impartial buyers to chose them for price alone?

I feel sorry for AMD, so long since they had a win.

aussie-revhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016, 3:18 PM   #147
dirtyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie-revhead View Post
What do we honestly hope ZEN can achieve? Get some impartial buyers to chose them for price alone?
If it's near enough in performance to Skylake or Kaby Lake, at the very least Intel will have to drop prices. Lots of people have a soft spot for AMD (and any underdog really) but cannot bring themselves to sacrifice any performance, so if AMD can get close enough then that is automatic sales.

In the server market where the real juice is, they have given up so much market share that you can pretty much guarantee they will claw some back if the performance is close enough.

Quote:
I feel sorry for AMD, so long since they had a win.

... except both current gen consoles, almost certainly Nintendo's next one, and almost certainly the next Sony and MS consoles if they stay with x86. Intel can't or won't do a proper GPU and their margins are way too high, Nvidia can't do x86 and their track record with SoC's is a bit shaky.
"It is worthy of remark that a belief constantly inculcated during the early years of life, whilst the brain is impressible, appears to acquire almost the nature of an instinct; and the very essence of an instinct is that it is followed independently of reason." - Charles Darwin | trustworthy traders
dirtyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016, 3:38 PM   #148
aussie-revhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd View Post
If it's near enough in performance to Skylake or Kaby Lake,
You don't really think that will happen do you? How many % is near enough?

Quote:
In the server market where the real juice is, they have given up so much market share that you can pretty much guarantee they will claw some back if the performance is close enough.
OK so they hold their own in servers, thats good.

Quote:
... except both current gen consoles, almost certainly Nintendo's next one, and almost certainly the next Sony and MS consoles if they stay with x86. Intel can't or won't do a proper GPU and their margins are way too high, Nvidia can't do x86 and their track record with SoC's is a bit shaky.
I dont know about consoles, never owned one (bought them for the kids), they were too expensive when I was a kid.

aussie-revhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016, 10:25 PM   #149
Toliandar

Quote:
You don't really think that will happen do you? How many % is near enough?

OK so they hold their own in servers, thats good.

I dont know about consoles, never owned one (bought them for the kids), they were too expensive when I was a kid.

It will also come down to core/thread count. If Zen's IPC came in somewhere between Ivy Bridge and Haswell @3.5GHz (4GHz turbo) as an eight core Zen would be incredible value (assuming AMD's usual highly competitive pricing) because the IPC would be enough for (high res) gaming due to GPU limitations.

Should future games become more CPU intensive it would also be expected that they would be DX12/Vulkan which should result in a 3.5GHz/4GHz turbo Ivy/Haswell IPC octocore being damn competitive with Intel.

I didn't expect myself to say this but I think Zen is a dark horse worthwhile enough to delay an upgrade if you can hold out.

With developments in the AMD APU I could actually see MS and Sony having a shorter lifespan on their console iterations - certainly a shorter one than X360 -> XBONE / PS3 -> PS4 which would be good for AMD as they need all the revenue they can claw at. Whether you own/play a console isn't really a factor in being able to figure out that AMD's deals with MS/Sony is good business.
Toliandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016, 11:05 PM   #150
itsmydamnation

have a look at which CPU intel cant make enough of to meet demand. Zen is looking more then capable at this stage for meeting that markets requirements.
OCAU Guitar Players Club #22
xp2500 @2310 210x11 stock hsf |asus a7n8x deluxe | 1024mb ddr400 | X800 445/515
Get a grip adolf, you lost the war, and you can't kill any more jews.
Rhythm in jump. dancing close to you D3 account1 D3 account 2
itsmydamnation is offline   Reply With Quote