Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 30th December 2014, 3:54 PM   #31
Paulie_AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_stroke View Post
I love some of the comments coming from arm chair engineers, fact is amd goes under and were all screwed. But theres more then desktop cpu's to make a dollar from and thats were amd is heading, there apu idea is smart but even intel is gaining ground there so who knows. I can't see the desktop being around in years to come anyhow, besides gamers and geeks there probably not a lot of sales left in them. Look at a common household now and what's being used, its notebooks, tabs and wifi printers, desktops are part of the past. It's hard to believe pc gaming is still just holding in there It wont be long till it dies i can tell you that.
You don't work in my "IT" department at work do you?? They rocked in with new laptops for the modelling team........ so stupidly slow at doing real work after one one turned on and tested the IT guys were sent packing with all the shiny gear and the 4 year old PC's were left behind with productivity in tact. After words with my Manager, they will likely be getting some 8 core intel's due to the cost being nothing, compared to the wages and time wasted waiting for network models to run.
Paulie_AU is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 31st December 2014, 3:18 AM   #32
2_stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie_AU View Post
You don't work in my "IT" department at work do you?? They rocked in with new laptops for the modelling team........ so stupidly slow at doing real work after one one turned on and tested the IT guys were sent packing with all the shiny gear and the 4 year old PC's were left behind with productivity in tact. After words with my Manager, they will likely be getting some 8 core intel's due to the cost being nothing, compared to the wages and time wasted waiting for network models to run.
Talking about the conman home lmfao, and pc as far as sales go. lol sounds like the ipad bs that some places are trying to push that got on the wagon of hype.

Also wouldn't take that tech report story with more than a grain of salt, hard figures will back the PC sales figures.
Bought from: h$v, epo299, tangcla, Gillyske, winterstide, jboles, nooobs,Sainter4Life, auron1
stop listing years ago just way to many trades lol
2_stroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2015, 2:58 AM   #33
Nian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie_AU View Post
Are your IT department staff competent? An FX-8350 does a fine job in 3D Studio Max. I am sure that any software worth shit would take advantage of the 8 cores.

Now granted the new Intel EE is a monster, but so is its price. I guess the benefit here is time vs money, still. To be worse than a 4 year old PC, I call bullshit normally. Hence either it's a good lie or your IT guys are incompetent in more than one way.
Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer, AMD FX-8370 BE @ 4.5Ghz, G.Skill TridentX DDR3 @ 2133 Mhz 10-12-12-31 4x8Gb , 2x Gigabyte Windforce 3 R9 290X OC 4Gb GV-R929XOC-4GD, Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Cooler Master V8

Old System: Gigabyte GA-965p-DS4 Rev. 1.0, Q9300ES @ 2.8Ghz, Team Xtreem Dark DDR2 740Mhz 4-4-4-12 4x2Gb, AFox HD7850 2Gb, Asus Xonar D2X, CoolerMaster CM690. Zalman CNPS9700 LED
Nian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 2:20 PM   #34
Kaine[zof]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nian View Post
Are your IT department staff competent? An FX-8350 does a fine job in 3D Studio Max. I am sure that any software worth shit would take advantage of the 8 cores.

Now granted the new Intel EE is a monster, but so is its price. I guess the benefit here is time vs money, still. To be worse than a 4 year old PC, I call bullshit normally. Hence either it's a good lie or your IT guys are incompetent in more than one way.
Lack of RAM was probably more of a problem than the processor. Nothing slows down big number crunching like having to swap from the drive. Had to go through this explanation/demonstration/rejecting new laptops with our IT department recently because they wanted us to use Windows 7 laptops with 2gb RAM for running simulations and complex automation and data processing.
Kaine[zof] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 8:13 PM   #35
dirtyd

Some rumours: http://fudzilla.com/news/processors/...n-apu-detailed

Quote:
The highest end compute HSA part has up to 16 Zen x86 cores and supports 32 threads, or two threads per core.

Each Zen core gets 512 KB of L2 cache and each cluster or four Zen cores is sharing 8MB L3 cache. In case we are talking about a 16-core, 32-thread next generation Zen based x86 processor, the total amount of L2 cache gets to a whopping 8MB, backed by 32MB of L3 cache.

The next generation Zen based APU also comes with PCIe Gen3 support and SATA express or SATA, 1GbE support and DDR4 memory controllers in 4x72 configuration. The 4-channel DDR4 supports ECC memory and speeds up to 3200 MHz, SODIMM, UDIMM, RDIMM, LRDIMM 2DIMMs/channel, with total capacity of 256GB per channel.
Given the expected release date (next year), should be on either 16nm or 14nm. If they can deliver, should be interesting, just hope there's a nice cut-down enthusiast part, most of these specs are very server-centric (read: expensive).

Also worth noting that Fudzilla has had questionable accuracy in the past
"It is worthy of remark that a belief constantly inculcated during the early years of life, whilst the brain is impressible, appears to acquire almost the nature of an instinct; and the very essence of an instinct is that it is followed independently of reason." - Charles Darwin | trustworthy traders
dirtyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 9:36 PM   #36
prezident doom

Wow that sounds like one hell of a chip. One way or another this will probably be my next upgrade. I haven't had anything come even close to stressing my current rig so I'm happy to wait.
Old 18th April 2015, 5:54 PM   #37
IKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd View Post
I'm surprised 15 years later they're still leaking those stupid powerpoints, I don't know why they don't just release the details in a pdf on their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezident doom View Post
Wow that sounds like one hell of a chip. One way or another this will probably be my next upgrade. I haven't had anything come even close to stressing my current rig so I'm happy to wait.
Same, going to save and try and buy a beast that will last the next 5+ years like my current rig has.
IKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 10:32 PM   #38
mixsetup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nian View Post
An FX-8350 does a fine job in 3D Studio Max. I am sure that any software worth shit would take advantage of the 8 cores.
I agree my FX8150 goes fine with 3D Studio Max no problems
AMD FX-9590, ASRock 990fx Extreme9 Motherboard,MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G , GeIL 16GB Kit DDR3 Evo Potenza @ 2400MHz, Sandisk Ultra II 240GB SSD, 2 X 2TB SATA3 HDD, 2TB NAS , 1TB SATA3, 2 X 2TB external HDD, LG Blu-Ray RW
mixsetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 1:44 PM   #39
General_Cartman

As much as I hope it kicks arse, both Barcelona and Bulldozer didn't live up to the pre-release numbers AMD was throwing around...
General_Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 11:02 AM   #40
Apokalipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Cartman View Post
As much as I hope it kicks arse, both Barcelona and Bulldozer didn't live up to the pre-release numbers AMD was throwing around...
They were at least able to make the K10 architecture work with Phenom II's. It was just not developed fast enough.
The 45nm manufacturing process being late didn't help there. One of the main problems with Phenom I was that it did not clock very highly.
Old 22nd April 2015, 5:05 PM   #41
General_Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apokalipse View Post
They were at least able to make the K10 architecture work with Phenom II's. It was just not developed fast enough.
The 45nm manufacturing process being late didn't help there. One of the main problems with Phenom I was that it did not clock very highly.
It seems with AMD/GF that every second node causes them problems.

180nm -> Good.
130nm -> Bad (remember the original thoroughbred-a)
90nm -> Good.
65nm -> Bad
45nm -> Good
32nm -> Bad

Of course now they are using half nodes and stuff this all could change. As far as I'm aware the bulk 28nm process they are using doesn't clock all that well either which is why Piledriver is stuck on 32nm. Kaveri is a nice chip all things considered. It's just a shame the 19w parts didn't find their way into more high end ultra thin laptops.

I think the current roadmap has Carrizzo on 20nm doesn't it? Hopefully they do a better job of 20nm than TSMC did.
General_Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 5:54 PM   #42
dirtyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Cartman View Post
It seems with AMD/GF that every second node causes them problems.

180nm -> Good.
130nm -> Bad (remember the original thoroughbred-a)
90nm -> Good.
65nm -> Bad
45nm -> Good
32nm -> Bad

Of course now they are using half nodes and stuff this all could change. As far as I'm aware the bulk 28nm process they are using doesn't clock all that well either which is why Piledriver is stuck on 32nm. Kaveri is a nice chip all things considered. It's just a shame the 19w parts didn't find their way into more high end ultra thin laptops.

I think the current roadmap has Carrizzo on 20nm doesn't it? Hopefully they do a better job of 20nm than TSMC did.
Carrizo is on 28nm but Nvidia managed to squeeze a pretty good performance/watt bump with their latest gen GPU's, on the same process as the previous gen, no reason why AMD can't do the same.

Semi-Accurate has a pretty good explanation of GloFo's 28SHP process:

Quote:
First up is the process and it is an unusual one. GPUs need relatively low speeds and high density for optimal layouts, CPUs need high speeds and relatively lower density. What do you do for a chip that is nearly 50-50 CPU-GPU? Which one do you prioritize? If you are thinking that splitting the difference with a medium speed medium density process might work, that is effectively what AMD did. Needless to say there is a bit more math to it than that, but you can think of 28SHP as a custom middle ground process designed for APUs.
"It is worthy of remark that a belief constantly inculcated during the early years of life, whilst the brain is impressible, appears to acquire almost the nature of an instinct; and the very essence of an instinct is that it is followed independently of reason." - Charles Darwin | trustworthy traders
dirtyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2015, 3:58 PM   #43
Unframed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_stroke View Post
It's hard to believe pc gaming is still just holding in there It wont be long till it dies i can tell you that.
Boy, this isn't the same tripe I've been seeing since 2004 at all

What's the Steam userbase like again?
CoolerMaster CM Storm Stryker | Intel 4790 w/ H55 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Gigabyte R9 Fury X | Samsung 840 120GB, Kingston Savage 480GB, Samsung 840 Evo 240GB, 2x 3TB Seagate | 32GB Kingston Fury 1866Mhz | SteelSeries Apex M500/SteelSeries Rival 700 | Enermax Revolution87+ 1000W | LG 34UM88C, Dell U2211H
Unframed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2015, 4:13 PM   #44
_slacker_

Im converting friends to PC from consoles quite regularly these days.

Missing the good ol'days of AMD, NForce150 and 64bit was yummy when it came out. My old 2500+ DLT3C did 2.6ghz, at the time that was neck-breaking compared to intel.

Still sitting here with money waiting for AMD to once again rise up
**Asrock X370 Gaming K4 ** AMD Ryzen 1700@ 4Ghz ** Team Group Dark Pro 3000 @2933 C12-11-11-11-25 ** XFX RX480 @1405/2055** Samsung Evo 960 M.2 + Evo 850 ** EKWB Watercooled ** Silverstone 750w Gold**
_slacker_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2015, 9:26 PM   #45
spank36

PC gaming is dying? hahahahahaha