Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 4th May 2015, 10:57 PM   #46
mAJORD

two days until Analyst day, and we can verify any truth in these slides that have been tricklding out

http://techreport.com/news/28190/lea...nanza-for-2016

The one to hope for would be the 8 core ZEN on FM3.. in a reasonable timeframe
mAJORD is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 4th May 2015, 11:02 PM   #47
newlife

How can you have a SoC and a cpu which isn't on the same socket because I don't think you will get very far without a chipset lol

Last edited by newlife; 4th May 2015 at 11:04 PM.
newlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 11:17 PM   #48
mixsetup

So FM3 so you can update.
AMD FX-9590, ASRock 990fx Extreme9 Motherboard,MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G , GeIL 16GB Kit DDR3 Evo Potenza @ 2400MHz, Sandisk Ultra II 240GB SSD, 2 X 2TB SATA3 HDD, 2TB NAS , 1TB SATA3, 2 X 2TB external HDD, LG Blu-Ray RW
mixsetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 11:44 PM   #49
mAJORD

I don't understand either of your posts , sorry , but we are taking FM3 not AM3 here
Ryzen OC / Owners Thread
Old 4th May 2015, 11:52 PM   #50
newlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post
I don't understand either of your posts , sorry , but we are taking FM3 not AM3 here
Based on what you posted FM3 is going to support both CPUs with and without the chipset integrated in the CPU which would add a whole heap of problems like having to have two range of boards. One for the SoC and one for the normal CPU because stuff like USB ports and sata ports are run off the chipset (South Bridge).

No South Bridge = No running PC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_on_a_chip
Old 5th May 2015, 7:36 AM   #51
mAJORD

I don't see anywhere it says that. Just that the 8 core units would have no GPU.

Ommiting the GPU would mean it's no longer an SoC /APU

Much like the athlon X4 740K etc now
Old 5th May 2015, 3:10 PM   #52
newlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post
I don't see anywhere it says that. Just that the 8 core units would have no GPU.

Ommiting the GPU would mean it's no longer an SoC /APU

Much like the athlon X4 740K etc now
A SoC has everything it needs integrated into the CPU and an APU doesn't so it's nothing like the APU/NPU thing because the only difference between them is the lack of igpu in the NPU which doesn't screw board compatibly
Old 5th May 2015, 3:41 PM   #53
mAJORD

Perhaps I'm not being clear. forgot my APU analogy.

If you take an SoC, and remove the GPU, it's no longer an SoC, even if it still includes everytihng else..

This is what i'm suggesting might be the case with the Desktop 8 core, which would explain why it's not called an SoC in the [potentially fake] slide
Old 7th May 2015, 8:16 AM   #54
sammy_b0i

Well, the news is here!

Quote:
AMD has finally broke its silence on its upcoming high performance x86 CPU core “Zen” at the company’s Financial Analyst Day. The highly anticipated high performance x86 CPU core is shaping up to be a true contender that will bring competition back to the CPU market.
See: http://wccftech.com/amd-officially-r...admap-zen-k12/

Quote:
Mark Papermaster, chief technology officer of AMD, said that “Zen” x86 processor cores offer 40 per cent higher instructions per clock performance compared to “Excavator” x86 cores. Essentially, this means that AMD’s next-gen central processing units will be 40 per cent faster compared to existing CPUs at the same clock-rate.
See: http://www.kitguru.net/components/cp...n-is-incoming/

Quote:
To put this massive leap in performance into perspective a 40% IPC improvement would put Zen on par with Haswell according to the aggregate single threaded PassMark database. That’s based on Steamroller CPU performance, so without even accounting for the IPC improvement with Excavator. Couple that IPC improvement with SMT support and affordable Summit Ridge 8 core CPUs that are on par with Intel’s $1000 i7 5960X Extreme CPU and you’ve got an extremely competitive product.

Sounds like very exciting times ahead for AMD. Definitely one to keep an eye on as things develop!
OCAU is a breeding ground for hyper-moralistic 13 year olds who've never stepped out of the computer room in their entire life. Young liberals, young labor, people who will grow old and die before they ever think about pulling their head out.
sammy_b0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 8:20 AM   #55
power

Come on AMD, surprise me - don't release another hype turd that will get bulldozed into the landfill.
Old 7th May 2015, 9:28 AM   #56
JunkDogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Come on AMD, surprise me - don't release another hype turd that will get bulldozed into the landfill.
I see what you did there.

I'm sceptical, yet always hopeful that AMD will deliver something to bring some competitiveness back to the market.
JunkDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 10:47 AM   #57
mAJORD

Damn it. No core details in slides. It seems those leaked slides were fake.. but the core info were correct.. So now we at least some facts.

- AMD is not leaving the Desktop/performance x86 market

- Unified, single socket for both "APU's" and CPU's - known as AM4 (not FM3)

-Zen based processors launching before Server? - in 2016

The first point should be exciting for anyone , whether it's a winner or a flop on launch, it doesn't matter.. an ambitious attempt to compete with Intel is there. Without it, The world of hurt on in the enthusiast end of the market will only get worse, as intel would be the only player.

I've been thinking about it for a while, but I'm going to put it out there now, and say I predict ZEN will end up being an evolution / extension of the Bobcat/ Jaguar architecture..

It is the unnoticed (because of its product position) jewel in the lineup. A considerably narrower, low power machine but with IPC that trades blows, sometimes beating out excavator at times, (along with Intel's Silvermont).

Yet you can fit 4 of these cores, in a single 'dual core' Excavator module.. and out perform it in MT @ ~half the power.. It basically embarrasses AMD's own uARCH.
It's short pipeline and LP process 'saves' AMD it from competing with Excavator at high frequencies. This is mildy reminiscent of Core-M vs Netburst a decade ago.

Leveraging off this for the next high performance core makes the more sense..

We will likely be looking at low frequency (high 2 - low 3Ghz) cores even with Turbo, so you're not going to see the 40% IPC turn into 40% extra performance at low core counts.. but total throughput certainly has potential

Last edited by mAJORD; 7th May 2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 7th May 2015, 11:11 AM   #58
Seanay00

I am genuinely excited for 'zen' I really hope this is the turning point for AMD. Intel is just reaming the consumer market for cpu's and they don't give a sh!t. The FX-8350 is a good chip when it hits 4.8-5ghz and for the money you can't go wrong. If Zen fails then I don't think they will recover from it personally, But hears hoping they pull it off.

Ares III build coming soon........
Seanay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 12:15 PM   #59
sammy_b0i

I thought i read that they have delayed the launch to 2017. So keep in mind that these slides put them as possibly on par with Haswell, but in 18 months... where will Intel's mainstream desktop performance level be at be compared to current Haswell?

This goes back to another thread on how the pinnacle of performance seems to be hit at Sandy Bridge... everything else is just a minor bump, or a decrease in TDP for the same speeds. So on one hand AMD Zen may be lagging behind before it even releases, but on the other hand, if SB is all we really need even for next gen games (GTA V , TW3, etc) then AMD Zen will be more than enough if it's as Haswell levels.

I think their best bet is to undercut Intel on a cost basis. If they really want market share back, continue with the "value" selling point that they have. Sure you can get 30% better performance with Intel, but you're paying 100% premium to get it. If AMD can be at the same performance levels for 20-30% cheaper, they'll gain market share rapidly, means more money, more R&D and better future processors.

As above, if they flop this somehow, it would be even harder to ever come back.
OCAU is a breeding ground for hyper-moralistic 13 year olds who've never stepped out of the computer room in their entire life. Young liberals, young labor, people who will grow old and die before they ever think about pulling their head out.
sammy_b0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 12:36 PM   #60
mAJORD

No they said they've delayed K12 to 2016 , to get Zen out the door first
Ryzen OC / Owners Thread