Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 11th March 2015, 12:36 PM   #1
julianvk Thread Starter

Default AMD AM1 Platform - Kabini - Seems to not have taken off?

Hey Guys,

I couldn't help but notice that AM1 hasn't really taken off. Can't seem to see much for sale locally in Australia. I thought AM1 would have taken off more than it has.. haven't really seen much mentioned in forums or local media either.

Is anybody running this platform? Any feedback?

I thought it would be a great platform for a NAS/Server as 24x7 low power platform.

Is the platform not priced competitively enough compared to a low end FM1 or Intel setup?

cheers
Julian
julianvk is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 11th March 2015, 8:58 PM   #2
Nian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianvk View Post
Hey Guys,

I couldn't help but notice that AM1 hasn't really taken off. Can't seem to see much for sale locally in Australia. I thought AM1 would have taken off more than it has.. haven't really seen much mentioned in forums or local media either.

I thought it would be a great platform for a NAS/Server as 24x7 low power platform.

Is the platform not priced competitively enough compared to a low end FM1 or Intel setup?

cheers
Julian
No store has pushed it, it's rather odd to be honest. The AM1 itself if rather good for the price and power efficiency.

I built one and took it through the wringer. Sure its not fast but it's competent.
Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer, AMD FX-8370 BE @ 4.5Ghz, G.Skill TridentX DDR3 @ 2133 Mhz 10-12-12-31 4x8Gb , 2x Gigabyte Windforce 3 R9 290X OC 4Gb GV-R929XOC-4GD, Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Cooler Master V8

Old System: Gigabyte GA-965p-DS4 Rev. 1.0, Q9300ES @ 2.8Ghz, Team Xtreem Dark DDR2 740Mhz 4-4-4-12 4x2Gb, AFox HD7850 2Gb, Asus Xonar D2X, CoolerMaster CM690. Zalman CNPS9700 LED
Nian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 10:12 PM   #3
SLATYE
SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I think it's just that the whole ultra-cheap mini-ITX area hasn't been all that popular. You don't see hundreds of the little Atom/Celeron boards flying off the shelves either.

As you've said, it's nice as a low-power home server - but how many people build new low-power home servers? Most of OCAU would either repurpose a spare PC (since it'll take quite some time before a Kabini saves enough power to pay off its purchase cost) or buy something pre-built (HP Microserver).

The other really attractive purpose (especially for AMD, with the GPU) would be as a HTPC - but these days the tiny HDMI plug-in computers do an adequate job for a lot less size/space/power/cost.
Old 12th March 2015, 10:22 PM   #4
shane41

Think many people these days buy a small compact device under $100
Building even a small pc & bothersome /effort to people.
Then do the software part too.

Why small WD media players are popular.
Play most files & you just plug into them

Realize this off on a tangent / but plausible for less interest too.
Haha ...........might be a bit rude that picture.
shane41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 10:10 PM   #5
Nian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane41 View Post
Think many people these days buy a small compact device under $100
Building even a small pc & bothersome /effort to people.
Then do the software part too.

Why small WD media players are popular.
Play most files & you just plug into them

Realize this off on a tangent / but plausible for less interest too.
This is true for most but not all things.

Fansub shows in 1080p Hi10P and software subtitles, well they just won't play on a android device or media box. The AM1 will play it however.
Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer, AMD FX-8370 BE @ 4.5Ghz, G.Skill TridentX DDR3 @ 2133 Mhz 10-12-12-31 4x8Gb , 2x Gigabyte Windforce 3 R9 290X OC 4Gb GV-R929XOC-4GD, Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Cooler Master V8

Old System: Gigabyte GA-965p-DS4 Rev. 1.0, Q9300ES @ 2.8Ghz, Team Xtreem Dark DDR2 740Mhz 4-4-4-12 4x2Gb, AFox HD7850 2Gb, Asus Xonar D2X, CoolerMaster CM690. Zalman CNPS9700 LED
Old 14th March 2015, 4:09 AM   #6
mtma

You do realise how narrow a market segment that you've just nominated?

Now in this market segment nominated, how many users in this segment choose AM1 against say, a laptop, or a full desktop computer, a prebuilt like a NUC, or have both?

Even if AM1 'took off', I would estimate that its full flight would be about 100-120 buyers per year nationwide for the purpose you've chosen. That's not very high flying in the grand scheme of things.
mtma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2015, 6:40 AM   #7
Nian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtma View Post
You do realise how narrow a market segment that you've just nominated?

Now in this market segment nominated, how many users in this segment choose AM1 against say, a laptop, or a full desktop computer, a prebuilt like a NUC, or have both?

Even if AM1 'took off', I would estimate that its full flight would be about 100-120 buyers per year nationwide for the purpose you've chosen. That's not very high flying in the grand scheme of things.
That is an example. If you have difficulty understanding that an example is not a BOX that something shall never leave. Well... not my problem.

Old 14th March 2015, 5:28 PM   #8
Rockman.EXE

For the price it costs to import an A1 processor and mobo, you can get a bare bone Intel NUC with a quad core Celeron that'll go above and beyond.

Main rig - https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/VcctLD

Home Server - https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/NPhwYr
Rockman.EXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 1:16 AM   #9
SLATYE
SLATYE, not SLAYTE

mtma has a point. While your example was just an example, it's actually pretty hard to come up with more examples. The two that I can think of:

(1) People who have a HTPC, and who use a HTPC for things that a little HDMI-stick can't do, and who use it for those thing enough to justify a much larger and much more expensive x86 PC, and who are capable of building their own PC (since AM1 systems are not readily available), and who don't just have a spare PC handy.

(2) People who need a home server, who need something more capable than the little network-connected HDDs, and who need it enough to justify spending quite a lot of money/space on a proper PC, and who are comfortable with building their own PC, and who haven't just repurposed an old PC.

In short, there are very few scenarios where AM1 is the "best" option, and in most of those scenarios it's either not worthwhile (due to cost/size/space) or not practical (due to the need to build the system). I suspect that mtma's 100 - 120 buyers per year may be optimistic; possibly that many in the first year, but after that the market would be largely saturated.
Old 15th March 2015, 11:17 AM   #10
mAJORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianvk View Post
Hey Guys,

cheers
Julian
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh....php?t=1142720

Yes it is going great. Running win 10 preview.

No it's not priced low enough to compete.. anymore.

For a very short period of time it was at a pinch.. including when I bought my parts. I could not come close with either a low power FM1 or socket 1150, esp with wifi onboard.

AM1 would work on a wider scale if the price targets it was initially aiming for were realised in AU. but still only in niche / custom builds were a basic NUC wasn't sufficient (like in my example)

The entire architecture is good. They just needed / need to (for the next iteration) be smarter how /where they place it.
mAJORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 11:23 AM   #11
mAJORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman.EXE View Post
For the price it costs to import an A1 processor and mobo, you can get a bare bone Intel NUC with a quad core Celeron that'll go above and beyond.
You don't need to import AM1, it's still available, just not everywhere.

Can you link to a QC Celeron NUC? The only NUC's that genuinly go above and beyond are the I3's etc, but you defiantly for it.
mAJORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 11:32 AM   #12
Copie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post

Can you link to a QC Celeron NUC? The only NUC's that genuinly go above and beyond are the I3's etc, but you defiantly for it.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=29619

Quad Core.

The i3/i5/i7 (with the exception of some brix models) are dual core mobile chips.

That all being said im running an i3 NUC as my 24/7 download box and attached to it is a 4 drive hotway hdd enclosure via usb3 and its fantastic. 34w under load, 28w at idle (thats with the enclosure on, its 7-15w with NUC only) and the setup is dead quiet with almost no heat output.

The other (more cheaper) option is a N54L microserver, one of those fully populated (6 drives) will run around 50-60w or so, but is a bit bigger.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 11:34 AM   #13
newlife

IMO am1 is the best AMD platform in terms of performance and power. Also you can get a board, CPU and memory for around $150

It would make a good low power htpc if you don't plan on any newish gaming which can also be passive cooled. On the sever side am1 wouldn't be that great due to a lack of sata ports because the chipset is on the cpu which only gives 2 ports but some boards do come with 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post
Exactly

Edit: just for lolz

Kabini at 3.2ghz under LN2

Last edited by newlife; 15th March 2015 at 11:37 AM.
newlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 2:50 AM   #14
Nian

There is another VERY VALID reason for AM1.

Low power, Low cost home desktop.

Yes it does the job very nicely, it is more than fast enough for everything but gaming and heavy CPU (not home) applications.

The Graphics is good too, so running a high resolution is fine. But if your going cheap, then 1920x1080 is the norm.

Either way, building a decent home PC for someone who wants to web browse, view/edit family photos and play flash games. AM1 will be ideal.

Low power, low price.

Old 16th March 2015, 3:46 AM   #15
mtma

Ahaha

So, what do you think AMD's market potential is here? What percentage of this potential have they returned since the product launch? What are the top 3 factors contributing to AMD's success or failure to convert the potential market to sales?

I'm still stuck inside the BOX you made earlier so you're not going to hear the answer from me.
mtma is offline   Reply With Quote