Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 16th March 2015, 10:56 AM   #16
julianvk Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nian View Post
There is another VERY VALID reason for AM1.

Low power, Low cost home desktop.

Yes it does the job very nicely, it is more than fast enough for everything but gaming and heavy CPU (not home) applications.

The Graphics is good too, so running a high resolution is fine. But if your going cheap, then 1920x1080 is the norm.

Either way, building a decent home PC for someone who wants to web browse, view/edit family photos and play flash games. AM1 will be ideal.

Low power, low price.

This is a great reason for AM1, many people these days just need a workstation to check facebook, write emails, pay bills etc. I really liked the concept of AM1, being a low cost, low power upgradeable platform not like atom where the processors are soldered to the motherboard.

Coupled with an SSD in a small case, this would be a kliller everyday workstation for families to share for basic tasks.

I understand that they were pushing a narrow market, as many people these days at home work off a tablet, laptop etc (i have a small it support side business and have seen families where each person has their own laptop, families that have a shared laptop, and families that still hold onto the desktop pc).

The fact is that there are heaps of people out there that don't particularly need the full power of a hektik PC but still like to have a full sized monitor, keyboard and mouse, the traditional desktop PC.

I don't think it has been pushed hard enough from the marketing perspective.

If MSY sold the platform, i think it would be much more popular here in Victoria anyway.
julianvk is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 17th March 2015, 10:36 AM   #17
Mudg3

anyone got a link to a local Australian Distributor? I think this would be perfect for a pfsense box I'm looking at building.

thanks

edit : looks like scorptech has some.

Last edited by Mudg3; 17th March 2015 at 11:21 AM.
Mudg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 11:40 AM   #18
newlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudg3 View Post
anyone got a link to a local Australian Distributor? I think this would be perfect for a pfsense box I'm looking at building.

thanks

edit : looks like scorptech has some.
So does mwave

http://www.mwave.com.au/product/amd-...ory-ab55832%7D
newlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 2:30 AM   #19
trash

I have just invested in an Athlon 5150 based system as my "main" everyday machine. I don't play any modern games - still playing the Age of Empires series.

I loaded Windows 8.1 on an SSD and it is very responsive. Noticed it was a little slow installing Windows.

For everyday light use, internet, email and office apps it works well. I am very pleased with the performance for my usage scenario.

I bought my parts from Umart in Brisbane.
Phone: iPhone 5c 16GB
trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 12:30 PM   #20
Nian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trash View Post
I have just invested in an Athlon 5150 based system as my "main" everyday machine. I don't play any modern games - still playing the Age of Empires series.

I loaded Windows 8.1 on an SSD and it is very responsive. Noticed it was a little slow installing Windows.

For everyday light use, internet, email and office apps it works well. I am very pleased with the performance for my usage scenario.

I bought my parts from Umart in Brisbane.
Mmm, I build one for my dear mother, who does allot of office work, web browsing and other mundane tasks. It fits her requirements to a tea. In fact, it is ideal and I couldn't imagine a better setup for price, performance and power efficiency.
Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer, AMD FX-8370 BE @ 4.5Ghz, G.Skill TridentX DDR3 @ 2133 Mhz 10-12-12-31 4x8Gb , 2x Gigabyte Windforce 3 R9 290X OC 4Gb GV-R929XOC-4GD, Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Cooler Master V8

Old System: Gigabyte GA-965p-DS4 Rev. 1.0, Q9300ES @ 2.8Ghz, Team Xtreem Dark DDR2 740Mhz 4-4-4-12 4x2Gb, AFox HD7850 2Gb, Asus Xonar D2X, CoolerMaster CM690. Zalman CNPS9700 LED
Nian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 1:44 AM   #21
Smokin Whale

Why haven't OEMs jumped on the the Kabini bandwagon? It seems they really like baytrail though...
Old 8th May 2015, 10:05 PM   #22
ErrorCode62

I ended up putting a low-power PC together using a Asrock Q1900 ITX board . I didn't even know AM1 existed!

Anyone else good examples of AM1 builds?
ErrorCode62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 8:21 PM   #23
G2A_CeleronGuy

| Asus AM1M-A | Athlon 5350 : 2153Mhz OC | 8GB DDR3 | Gigabyte HD6950 2GB DDR5 Gaming Series | Asus 28 Inch Monitor | Windows 7 Pro |

Well its in my sig and i can play all the game i want and more and its low power so it saves on electricity.

Oh it can play modern games on med-high its depends on your graphics cards really, a 5-8 Percent in drop is not so bad.
Old 10th May 2015, 1:20 AM   #24
stmok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Whale View Post
Why haven't OEMs jumped on the the Kabini bandwagon? It seems they really like baytrail though...
I suspect its because its a dead-end socketed platform.
ie: No new processor models on the roadmap.

...Or Intel has the money and the people to entice OEMs to adopt their solutions over AMD ones!

AMD APUs in BGA form (non-socketed, not upgradeable) will likely continue in this space.

2016 successor?

Basilisk APU
* Zen architecture
* Up to dual-core
* "next gen" GCN graphics compute units
* BGA form (soldered on mobo)

AMD is killing off these "cat" architecture processors and going with Zen architecture for everything on the x86 side as of 2016.

I suspect they're scaling Zen down to dual-core (or even single-core with SMT) and using new power saving features to fit into the 5W to 15W thermal footprint.
Old 10th May 2015, 10:03 AM   #25
mAJORD

I don't think being 'dead end' has anyhting to do with it.. everything is dead end these days, and a socket is always less dead end than a soldered on CPU after all (i.e all the Bay trail motherboards)

The socket itself however is major factor.. it was aimed at PC builder's, NOT OEMs.

OEM's don't want sockets.. it's another part, and step in the build process. The product for them would be the Puma platform , which is superior anyway.
mAJORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 3:47 PM   #26
stmok

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post
I don't think being 'dead end' has anyhting to do with it.. everything is dead end these days, and a socket is always less dead end than a soldered on CPU after all (i.e all the Bay trail motherboards)
Its a dead-end because AMD is changing architecture.

You can expect a Puma-based "Beema" APU model in 2015 for Socket AM1.

But as of 2016, AMD is going all Zen architecture on everything x86. They aren't likely going to make this in Socket AM1 format. You can expect AM1 format will be abandoned.

That's how they've laid their processor roadmap. They are trimming off anything that they don't see with a high return and are simplifying down with as few socket formats as possible.

One socket for desktop => Supporting BOTH FX series CPUs (8-core?) and A-series APUs (quad-core)
One socket for notebooks => A-series APUs (quad-core)
BGA soldered on mobo for SFF and Essentials market => A-series APUs (dual-core)

Quote:
The socket itself however is major factor.. it was aimed at PC builder's, NOT OEMs.
How big is the DIY PC builder (SFF and Essentials) market for AMD? Do they consider it as a low-margin market?

Quote:
OEM's don't want sockets.. it's another part, and step in the build process. The product for them would be the Puma platform , which is superior anyway.
Yeap. That's why future Zen-based APUs will only be in BGA (and not socketed) for SFF and Essentials market.

The original question from Smokin Whale was why OEMs haven't jumped on Socket AM1. You've pretty much answered their question.
Old 10th May 2015, 6:25 PM   #27
General_Cartman

The fact Beema is a year old and still hasn't made it to the platform says it all really.
General_Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 9:44 PM   #28
mAJORD

Indeed.

To be honest though, bringing it back to this whole AM1 discussion: I'd rather some more innovative Beema based products.. say, A10-6700t u (4.5w TDP , quad core) on a little baby MB (smaller than Intel NUC size)

Imagine the things you could cram that into, and still play a devent array of games on it.

the lack of uptake in these niche markets is also frustrating. Again There's plenty of bay trail solutions in this space.. and they do the job fine, but have no gfx capabilty (virtually)

Last edited by mAJORD; 10th May 2015 at 9:53 PM.
mAJORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 12:04 AM   #29
SLATYE
SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Quote:
Indeed.

To be honest though, bringing it back to this whole AM1 discussion: I'd rather some more innovative Beema based products.. say, A10-6700t u (4.5w TDP , quad core) on a little baby MB (smaller than Intel NUC size)

Imagine the things you could cram that into, and still play a devent array of games on it.
Maybe time to do some proper pico-ITX boards? Currently they're all horribly expensive industrial models; having a cut-down commercial one (which can leave out all the serial/parallel ports, GPIO, etc) for a decent price would be great.

Edit: or 3.5" formfactor PCs. It'd be really nice to have a PC-in-a-drive-bay (I'm working on this with an ancient PC-104 board, but something more modern would be handy).

Last edited by SLATYE; 11th May 2015 at 12:06 AM.
SLATYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 10:22 AM   #30
Nian

I ordered last week a Gelid AM1 low profile cooler on eBay uk.

http://gelidsolutions.com/products/i...&cid=12&id=113

My plan is to build myself a car PC. With the pico psu's for cars, I expect it to run very very well.
Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer, AMD FX-8370 BE @ 4.5Ghz, G.Skill TridentX DDR3 @ 2133 Mhz 10-12-12-31 4x8Gb , 2x Gigabyte Windforce 3 R9 290X OC 4Gb GV-R929XOC-4GD, Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Cooler Master V8

Old System: Gigabyte GA-965p-DS4 Rev. 1.0, Q9300ES @ 2.8Ghz, Team Xtreem Dark DDR2 740Mhz 4-4-4-12 4x2Gb, AFox HD7850 2Gb, Asus Xonar D2X, CoolerMaster CM690. Zalman CNPS9700 LED
Nian is offline   Reply With Quote