Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 9th November 2015, 4:39 PM   #136
Perko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post
No, because performance is not defined anywhere. It's the same old argument from the Ghz war days, just with cores.

With the move to arbitrary model numbers for SKU's and decreasing the emphasis on clockspeed, most people have realized it's a poor indicator. This just needs to happen with core counts also.

The formula to determine performance has become incredibly complex. The following all significantly affect performance:

-uArch IPC (Now not so easily identified with multiple, uARChs of vastly different IPC sharing the same name - e.g current Pentium lines)
-Base frequency
-Turbo frequency
-# cores
-SMT and associated scaling
-software thread count and scaling
-IGP type/performance

It is a mess, with no simple solution from a model naming and marketing pt of view

The only scenario where this would hold up, is if AMD launched their 8 core FX for a higher price than the outgoing 6 core, but with no MT performance advantage across a range of benchmarks. Or worse still, pitched it as an alternative to Intel's 6 core.

Whilst BD was disappointing, and was beaten by its predecessor on occasion in single / lightly threaded tasks, it did hold a sizable enough advantage in MT performance to justify its price.
You won't get any argument from me there - it becomes an even bigger mess when you take in ARM chips and SOC using the same terminology in sales literature. But once it gets to court it'll be muddied enough that AMD could have to go to appeal to get it thrown out. That's not the same as getting done, obviously, but it's cash that they really don't have to spare.

Hopefully it doesn't progress past initial hearings.
Main: Phanteks Enthoo Primo/Enermax Platimax 850/MSI X99A SLI Plus/i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz/Noctua NH-D15/Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz Low Profile/Galax GTX 1080 EXOC/ASUS Xonar STU + Beyer T70/Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 1TB Caviar Black/Win 10 Pro/Cherry Compuregister - MX Clears/Mionix Naos 3200/X-Star DP2710 Glossy
Notebook: ASUS ROG G53SW w/ Win 10 + Ubuntu 16.04
Perko is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 11th November 2015, 8:29 AM   #137
KriiV

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2p4u View Post
But isnt that the exact problem they have, I want them around but im not a fan so i most likely will never ever buy them? Even if they developed a chips that beats Intel in every aspect and is cooler and cheaper by a few $$ people would still buy the Intel.

Without people like you going with AMD then they have no hope of making any difference, cause if Zen was the best CPU released in its time, and the Intel variants are slower but no one bought it because "It's AMD, i'm not a fan" and still make a loss then what was the point
But see there's the thing, if AMD were to produce a fundamentally better chip than Intel, I'd buy it. My basis for not being a fan of AMD is that they consistently put out inferior chips.
KriiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015, 11:07 AM   #138
digamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriiV View Post
But see there's the thing, if AMD were to produce a fundamentally better chip than Intel, I'd buy it. My basis for not being a fan of AMD is that they consistently put out inferior chips.
Inferior perhaps, but often not by much. And here's the important distinction between the two chip manufacturers, AMD is significantly cheaper for their products, across their entire range.
Old 11th November 2015, 12:50 PM   #139
PsychoSmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriiV View Post
For me I am willing to sacrifice performance on a bang for buck level. If they can put out something that is not quite as good but from a cost point of view very good value I'd buy it. For me it's perceived value for dollar which is why I chose a R9 390 over a GTX970. Similar prices, similar performance, but more memory and better compatibility in the future with the 390. I lose on some aspects but I still have the better product for me. If AMD could produce something that is 90% of the performance of Intel's current offerings but at 25% less cost it'd be a no brainer for me.
Old 11th November 2015, 10:47 PM   #140
staffy007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoSmiley View Post
For me I am willing to sacrifice performance on a bang for buck level. If they can put out something that is not quite as good but from a cost point of view very good value I'd buy it. For me it's perceived value for dollar which is why I chose a R9 390 over a GTX970. Similar prices, similar performance, but more memory and better compatibility in the future with the 390. I lose on some aspects but I still have the better product for me. If AMD could produce something that is 90% of the performance of Intel's current offerings but at 25% less cost it'd be a no brainer for me.
I say , work out which games you play the most. which ones out of them are optimised red or green and go to which you want the visuals at best
Old 21st November 2015, 1:17 PM   #141
Sologuy

Perhaps Intel getting 2nd highest amount of 'corporate welfare' from US gov goes some way to explaining why Intel has so much $ for R&D? Even though the link is dated from March this year, I believe its still relevant...

Source
Sologuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2015, 11:07 PM   #142
mAJORD

lol

Difficult fathom how Intel would have received subsidies but not AMD (or at least, so little they're on the list)

They managed to get 300M out of isreal though - they're good at it.
mAJORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 12:14 AM   #143
Smokin Whale

I kinda dislike how this is the top thread in the AMD subforum. AMD is not dead
Old 23rd November 2015, 12:41 AM   #144
ipv6ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sologuy View Post
Perhaps Intel getting 2nd highest amount of 'corporate welfare' from US gov goes some way to explaining why Intel has so much $ for R&D? Even though the link is dated from March this year, I believe its still relevant...

Source
but those subsides are for opening factories etc id AMD built more factories it would get more too lol.
MSI Z77a-GD80, Cosmos II, i7-3770k, Swiftech H240-X, Gigabyte G1 GTX1070, G.Skill 32mb 1600, 256GB Samsung Pro 840, 120GB Sandisk Extreme, LSi 9261, 8 x 1TB WB Black HDD, Seasonic 660w Platinum, Cyberpower UPS
ipv6ready is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 1:09 AM   #145
mAJORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipv6ready View Post
but those subsides are for opening factories etc id AMD built more factories it would get more too lol.
Good point. Intel has /had far more fab's in the US over that time period
mAJORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 12:52 PM   #146
Sologuy

Quote:
Well they can't open more factories because of lack of money of which (to cut a LONG story short) is because the corporate playing field in US is not a level playing field (compared to Australia, at least).

Many years of dodgy & shifty business practices from Intel have made sure of that..
Old 24th November 2015, 12:55 PM   #147
Sologuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Whale View Post
I kinda dislike how this is the top thread in the AMD subforum. AMD is not dead
Yes, it is sad, but Intel is happy. If they had it their way, ALL the way, one vendor for the modular x86 market.. yeah that's real good for consumers right? not having a go at you, just sayng.

When they say jump, we say.. 'how high?'...

Last edited by Sologuy; 24th November 2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 24th November 2015, 5:29 PM   #148
ipv6ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sologuy View Post
Many years of dodgy & shifty business practices from Intel have made sure of that..
I think both Intel and AMD played the game.... Intel was better at it.
MSI Z77a-GD80, Cosmos II, i7-3770k, Swiftech H240-X, Gigabyte G1 GTX1070, G.Skill 32mb 1600, 256GB Samsung Pro 840, 120GB Sandisk Extreme, LSi 9261, 8 x 1TB WB Black HDD, Seasonic 660w Platinum, Cyberpower UPS
ipv6ready is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 12:42 AM   #149
Nian

Quote:
I think both Intel and AMD played the game.... Intel was better at it.
I believe it is the concept of Capitalism at its worse, that is the game that Intel plays. Because in the USA, a monopoly isn't illegal.
Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer, AMD FX-8370 BE @ 4.5Ghz, G.Skill TridentX DDR3 @ 2133 Mhz 10-12-12-31 4x8Gb , 2x Gigabyte Windforce 3 R9 290X OC 4Gb GV-R929XOC-4GD, Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Cooler Master V8

Old System: Gigabyte GA-965p-DS4 Rev. 1.0, Q9300ES @ 2.8Ghz, Team Xtreem Dark DDR2 740Mhz 4-4-4-12 4x2Gb, AFox HD7850 2Gb, Asus Xonar D2X, CoolerMaster CM690. Zalman CNPS9700 LED
Nian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 8:50 AM   #150
lithos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoSmiley View Post
Exactly. I'm not looking for a chip that'll slay Intel's six ways to the Sunday after next in every benchmark, game, and crunch an hour of 8K video in ten seconds flat (though that'd be nice); I'm looking for a chip that'll do everything a decent gamer needs...at a good price point.

And that's where AMD kicks arse.

I'm looking for a cool octo-core that does 90% of Intel's $500 enthusiast chip for $250. And sits in a socket that won't be outdated in six months time.
lithos is offline   Reply With Quote