Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 1st May 2015, 9:59 PM   #31
bennyg
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Oztraya
Posts: 2,908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoreia View Post
My point is that he was putting them down, when they're still a decent chip.

Drdeathy, it's not the fact that AMD's aren't good enough, it's that Intel's are better for the same money.
And the fact that some people value a used old Core 2 more than a new AMD is exactly why I mentioned it
__________________
P370EM 3740QM@3.9-4.1Ghz - 16Gb DDR3 - LG 1080p 120Hz - retrofitted TDP modded 1070 MXM SLI
P870DM-G 6700K delid+LM @4.5GHz 1.185V - 32Gb DDR4-2666CL18 - 4K QFHD 17" - 980M SLI @1376/2950/1.06V
Trades: >90 Complaints: <0
bennyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 1st May 2015, 10:49 PM   #32
dr_deathy
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoreia View Post
Both AMD & Intel's chips are fast enough for basic use. The question I pose to you is: Why spend the same amount of money for a slower/hotter chip?



Except AMD & Intel's bottom-end chips are exactly the same price, and at same price-point, Intel's CPUs are more powerful at every level.



You're comparing a 7 year old 2nd hand processor to a brand new processor (which funnily enough, the 7 year old Intel processor is comparable to the $58 new AMD processor). Playing CS:GO chunks on any modern dual core chip, so if you actually want decent performance, you actually do need a quad core these days.
Yes in raw CPU speed intel wins. However we need balanced systems, AMDs APU destroys intel "graphics".


http://www.anandtech.com/show/8774/i...4790s-tested/4

Once you have enough coin for GPUs intel is a must, however we are not discussing that market.

Im not comparing them directly, however if a E8400 is enough why do they need a i5 or i7? If its enough why all of a sudden is the AMD not fast enough.

$283 combo
http://www.pccasegear.com/sc/dZk

$263
http://www.pccasegear.com/sc/l8A

For an average at home system which is expect to have basic 3D the AMD destroys the i3.
dr_deathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2015, 11:06 PM   #33
Euphoreia
Member
 
Euphoreia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,354
Default

Or they could buy the Celeron G1840 and a GT730 with the change to crush the AMD system in 3d by ~50%.

Or they could spend an extra $50 with the Intel setup on a better card. Spend an extra $50 on the AMD system and see how far that gets you...

Last edited by Euphoreia; 1st May 2015 at 11:08 PM.
Euphoreia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2015, 11:24 PM   #34
mAJORD
Member
 
mAJORD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Griffin , Brisbane
Posts: 8,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoreia View Post
Or they could buy the Celeron G1840 and a GT730 with the change to crush the AMD system in 3d by ~50%.

Or they could spend an extra $50 with the Intel setup on a better card. Spend an extra $50 on the AMD system and see how far that gets you...
Firstly, I think you're over estimating the power of a GT730

secondly, just because you can spend more and achieve .. well, more. Doesn't make the cheaper option invalid somehow.

The current APU's certainly aren't earth shattering, but they can represent good value for money. the 7600 is probably the greatest bang/buck.

It's cheaper than any i3, but whilst it is slower in raw CPU power, i'ts not by much, and it more than makes up for it in GPU power

it comes down to which one is more important to the end user.
mAJORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 1:35 PM   #35
dirtyd
Member
 
dirtyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 3,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoreia View Post
You're completely ignoring the 'standard user' desktop and laptop market. You know, the hundreds of millions of 'standard users' that AMD doesn't stand a chance against Intel.

Yes, they're decent for the scenarios you've pointed out, but for the standard desktop/laptop user, Intel has it.
I'm not "completely ignoring" anything. The post I was replying to specifically asked in what scenario would you buy an AMD chip over an Intel one. I gave a response, you even agree that I'm correct, yet you still can't stop yourself from posting unrelated drivel
__________________
"It is worthy of remark that a belief constantly inculcated during the early years of life, whilst the brain is impressible, appears to acquire almost the nature of an instinct; and the very essence of an instinct is that it is followed independently of reason." - Charles Darwin
dirtyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 4:05 PM   #36
Kelvin
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,316
Default

Hmmm..

I like your list..

But its does mean, that basically no one on these forums, should be consciously choosing AMD or Intel..

Nobody should really be gaming with on board video, if they are serious..
and 2 and 3 don't really apply to anyone here..
....



Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd View Post
  • Capable gaming without discrete GPU, with 3D drivers that actually function correctly.
  • Embedded solutions (ie, casino "gaming")
  • Maybe if you were building a games console that will sell tens, if not hundreds of millions of units, and you wanted an SoC with chipset, audio, CPU, GPU, properly shared memory with context switching, and custom IP thrown in.

AMD is not dead. They may have been dead to enthusiasts for a while, but life (and business) exists outside of the OC ultimate performance bubble.

Besides, if they can deliver Zen on time, they will be back with performance. The 14nm process is already working for Samsung, GlobalFoundries have the same process, and AMD has the guy responsible for the most efficient SoC's of the last few generations back from Apple, leading that design.
Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 4:24 PM   #37
General_Cartman
Member
 
General_Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Confedaracah!
Posts: 2,660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
Hmmm..

I like your list..

But its does mean, that basically no one on these forums, should be consciously choosing AMD or Intel..

Nobody should really be gaming with on board video, if they are serious..
and 2 and 3 don't really apply to anyone here..
....
That said, Kaveri on a 14nm process would be more than competitive (especially in mobile) with Intel's current offerings (outside of Haswell-E obviously). AMD are constrained by their fabrication partners more than anything else currently.

It would also be nice for AMD to release one of the 19W Kaveri chips in a socketed format. It would make the base for an awesome HTPC.
General_Cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 6:00 PM   #38
dirtyd
Member
 
dirtyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 3,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
Nobody should really be gaming with on board video, if they are serious..
True to an extent, but if you're on a tight budget and you play older games, it can suffice. Even some modern games can actually run pretty well at 720p on recent AMD APU's; it is surprising what they can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
and 2 and 3 don't really apply to anyone here..
....
I agree, but I feel it's necessary to try to dispel the doomsayers that basically imply AMD is a hopeless lost cause that can't do anything right.

It is a fact that their share of the CPU & GPU markets have been shrinking (although the GPU numbers are a bit more cyclical), but it is also a fact that their embedded business is growing, they dominated the last round of console hardware, and they are moving into ARM processors, which is clearly a huge growth market.
__________________
"It is worthy of remark that a belief constantly inculcated during the early years of life, whilst the brain is impressible, appears to acquire almost the nature of an instinct; and the very essence of an instinct is that it is followed independently of reason." - Charles Darwin
dirtyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 8:54 PM   #39
dr_deathy
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd View Post
True to an extent, but if you're on a tight budget and you play older games, it can suffice. Even some modern games can actually run pretty well at 720p on recent AMD APU's; it is surprising what they can do.



I agree, but I feel it's necessary to try to dispel the doomsayers that basically imply AMD is a hopeless lost cause that can't do anything right.

It is a fact that their share of the CPU & GPU markets have been shrinking (although the GPU numbers are a bit more cyclical), but it is also a fact that their embedded business is growing, they dominated the last round of console hardware, and they are moving into ARM processors, which is clearly a huge growth market.
Yes they really need to get some products out. Saying that the highend GPU market is high turn around. But lost big time to high margin quadro's which i dont think without some crazy out of the box thinking they will get back.

Its just fanboy one size fits all BS. Its in every aspect of life from computers to cars.
dr_deathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 6:43 PM   #40
lithos
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,409
Default

My standard CPU upgrade path is 18-24 months.

With AMD:

"I'll spend $200 on a new CPU."

With Intel:

"I'll spent $200 on a new CPU...and another $150 on a new fucking motherboard."
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooSE View Post
Congratulations, OP, you've discovered stereotypes and hyperbole. These two things have been used for centuries by imbeciles and morons.
lithos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 6:59 PM   #41
Euphoreia
Member
 
Euphoreia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithos View Post
My standard CPU upgrade path is 18-24 months.

With AMD:

"I'll spend $200 on a new CPU."

With Intel:

"I'll spent $200 on a new CPU...and another $150 on a new fucking motherboard."
Because you know, AMD's not guilty of that either.

Socket F. AM2. AM2+. AM3. AM3+. FM1. FM2.

775 lasted 4 years, 1366 lasted 3 years. If you went 1155 or 2011 in 2011, you still wouldn't be needing to upgrade.

Intel boards with USB3, SATA3, and all the other goodies start from $70. Your fanboyism is blinding you.

Last edited by Euphoreia; 3rd June 2015 at 7:05 PM.
Euphoreia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 7:21 PM   #42
AEKaBeer
Member
 
AEKaBeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Essendon
Posts: 3,903
Default

Except am2 CPUs work in am2+ boards and ice versa, the same for am3 and am3+. Phenom II 945 and later all worked in AM2+and AM3/3+ boards as well.
__________________
i5 4690, EVGA GTX1070 SC, 16GB HyperX, GB B85N Phoenix, TR Silver Arrow Exreme, Predator X34, Bitfenix Prodigy, 2x500GB EVO, 256GB Crucial M4, Seagate 3TB, Silverstone 850w Gold
Metabox P157SM, i7-4700MQ, GTX 780M, 32GB DDR3, 120GB Sandisk, 256GB Plextor
AEKaBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 7:52 PM   #43
lithos
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,409
Default

[QUOTE=Euphoreia;16720140]Because you know, AMD's not guilty of that either.

Socket F. AM2. AM2+. AM3. AM3+. FM1. FM2.

775 lasted 4 years, 1366 lasted 3 years. If you went 1155 or 2011 in 2011, you still wouldn't be needing to upgrade.[quote]

Those are different processor lines, and you know it. Or, maybe you don't, Intel fanboi. AMD's APUs are actually worth a damn.

Also, why different sockets between the same lines of processor, eh? Nickel, meet dime.

And yeah...the LGA 1155 - oh yes. Because that single pin on the LGA 1156 was what totally holding everything back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEKaBeer View Post
Except am2 CPUs work in am2+ boards and ice versa, the same for am3 and am3+. Phenom II 945 and later all worked in AM2+and AM3/3+ boards as well.
What AEKaBeer said: backwards compatibility.

Quote:
Intel boards with USB3, SATA3, and all the other goodies start from $70
What's your point? So do AM3+ mobos. My quip about spending $150 was for a good mobo, because I actually plug more shit than a graphics card into 'em.

And at the end of the day...$70 is $70. If my mobo ain't broke, I'd rather spend that money elsewhere. RAM. SSD. Blowjobs. Who knows, eh?

Quote:
Your fanboyism is blinding you
Said the guy...

...who entered the explicitly-labelled AMD forum...

...to extol Intel.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooSE View Post
Congratulations, OP, you've discovered stereotypes and hyperbole. These two things have been used for centuries by imbeciles and morons.
lithos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 10:33 PM   #44
Falls
Member
 
Falls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Gun Cat @ Bikini Atoll
Posts: 3,287
Default

I have a 1156pin intel motherboard , 1 gen of cpu only. now useless.

The real stinker 1156pin seems to have miss the list.?

F.
__________________
I plan to live forever or die trying.
Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 10:55 PM   #45
Freebee
Member
 
Freebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sydney, 2081
Posts: 273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
Hmmm..

I like your list..

But its does mean, that basically no one on these forums, should be consciously choosing AMD or Intel..

Nobody should really be gaming with on board video, if they are serious..
and 2 and 3 don't really apply to anyone here..
....
agree with you on 2 and 3, however, im willing to bet that nobody here who is saying that you shouldn't game on an APU's IGP, has never actually owned one... and I will say this, not only are the apu's surprisingly good for gaming (im not saying great) but they are a great option if your going to be building a budget system for gaming and adding a mid-high end gpu 6-12 months down the track... yes you will cpu bound, but the reality is that it wont actually bottleneck a midrange gaming gpu (r9 270/960) too much


Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Cartman View Post
That said, Kaveri on a 14nm process would be more than competitive (especially in mobile) with Intel's current offerings (outside of Haswell-E obviously). AMD are constrained by their fabrication partners more than anything else currently.

It would also be nice for AMD to release one of the 19W Kaveri chips in a socketed format. It would make the base for an awesome HTPC.
this I totally agree with, and amd admits it time and time again, that their process node is holding them back... and id definitely upgrade the HTPC to one of those from the phenom ii x4 if they made one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithos View Post
My standard CPU upgrade path is 18-24 months.

With AMD:

"I'll spend $200 on a new CPU."

With Intel:

"I'll spent $200 on a new CPU...and another $150 on a new fucking motherboard."
I know that this comment has been polarising... but the reality is that both change sockets/chipsets/cpu comparability... however it is true that amd has maintained ridiculous levels of backwards compatibility for CPU's.... intel has also had some forwards compatability for boards, so id say that amd has a slight edge, but at the same time that edge isn't much of an advantage unless you particularly love your EG. am2+ cpu from years ago and just want more pcie and sata.


one final point from myself.. intel has a definite architectural and process node advantage at the moment, however amd openly admits that bulldozer and derivatives were a mistake, partially based on incorrect predictions of where the industry was going, and also based on stupidity.... however we are yet to see what zen can deliver on a somewhat competitive die size... so nobody can know if amd is dead or not, what we can tell from their ridiculous perf per watt/clock goals is that they are trying bloody hard to come back... it is just as likely as it is unlikely that they will sucseed, and with the people involved in zen and hopefully the next few amd generations, we could be seeing quite competitive products from amd again in a little while

I will admit to having a slight amd bias, however i am not a fanboy... that involves reading too much off a spec sheet and having an extreme liking for the colour red... I would call myself a realist... so feel free to read this however you want.....
__________________
spec's:
Parvum s2.0; build in PC-A71F on hold;
AMD FX-6100, Asus 880g-m(something), AMD HD 6950, 512gb Samsung 850 evo
(mb,cpu & gpu were free)

Last edited by Freebee; 3rd June 2015 at 10:58 PM.
Freebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 5:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!