Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 21st October 2015, 12:41 PM   #91
newlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skexis View Post
As to AMD CPU's, well they've been absolutely fine. Switched to Intel for the current build as it was the best bang for buck available at MSY at the time but would have bought an AMD if there'd been one suitable.

For me it comes down to reliability and AMD have never let me down
When it comes to gaming with a high end gpu and using an AMD cpu you are pointlessly creating a cpu bottleneck because games can't stand the poor single threaded performance even with 8 cores and while reviews and such don't show much of a difference in average fps the minimum is what hurts and causes stuttering that doesn't give a very nice experience

On the reliability part AMD definitely isn't reliable and I'm going to take a guess you never used an Intel cpu (apart from your current one) because amd cpus are very easy to kill and the boards are even easier. Over the last 5 years I have had 5 AMD cpus die and with Intel not a single cpu has died

It's all great to be an AMD fanboy like myself just don't forget the cpus are shit and only really good for Web browsing and general use

Source: Being a extreme overlocker who at this time being benchs pretty much just AMD cpus
newlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st October 2015, 3:30 PM   #92
dr_deathy

I sell hundreds of amd cpus every year and have found them exactly the same as intel. Zero dead cpus. In fact over the last 5 years not a single failed motherboard from me just the usual suspects.(hp acer).

Talking hundreds and hundreds of computers. Overclocking doesnt count as it just means you dont know what your talking about. What next put a supercharger in my car raced it and its holdens fault my engine blew!
dr_deathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 4:04 PM   #93
Ratzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_deathy View Post
Overclocking doesnt count as it just means you dont know what your talking about. What next put a supercharger in my car raced it and its holdens fault my engine blew!
Overclocking is not like adding a supercharger, blowing up the engine and blaming Holden.

Overclocking is like selecting 'sport mode', blowing up the engine and blaming Holden.

Overclockable CPU's don't come with superchargers, but they do come with 'sport mode'... and a warning about the possible consequences.

I don't see reliability under stock conditions as being any different between AMD or Intel. There isn't much to go wrong on a silicon chip once successfully created.

Performance however, its a whole different ball game. And AMD are a lot of goals behind in the final quarter.

The only way they can survive is to get swallowed by a much larger company so they can afford more/better R&D, or miraculously come up with some awesome Intel killing tech by accident overnight.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 2:15 AM   #94
partybear

Your running the cpus at 7.8ghz under liquid nitrogen, you can't seriously say that they are unreliable because they break in that situation.

In real world use even heavily overclocked under watercooling an amd or intel cpu will probably be the single most reliable part of the computer. They are perfectly equal in this.
partybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 7:18 AM   #95
AEKaBeer

CPU's have been flawless for me, I say this due to having had zero dead cpu's in 20 years of building and supporting hundreds of pc's and only 2 dead due to bad installation (1 amd + 1 intel).

Far less reliable have been motherboards (looking at you ASUS!), followed by ram then finally hard drives, though drives I can count on 1 hand in the last decade.

Generally speaking if you're not screwing around too much, most components are basically bullet proof.
Old 22nd October 2015, 10:41 AM   #96
newlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by partybear View Post
Your running the cpus at 7.8ghz under liquid nitrogen, you can't seriously say that they are unreliable because they break in that situation.

In real world use even heavily overclocked under watercooling an amd or intel cpu will probably be the single most reliable part of the computer. They are perfectly equal in this.
Funny how all those CPU's are still alive

At stock I'm not going to disagree it's reliable but moderate overclocks can reasonably easily kill an AMD CPU and while you might say that anything overclocked is pointless when talking about this sort of thing unfortunately AMD needs to be overclocked to get decent performance unlike Intel which has no real world gains from doing so
newlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 11:30 AM   #97
Skexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlife View Post
On the reliability part AMD definitely isn't reliable and I'm going to take a guess you never used an Intel cpu (apart from your current one) because amd cpus are very easy to kill and the boards are even easier. Over the last 5 years I have had 5 AMD cpus die and with Intel not a single cpu has died
I would say every PC in every IT role I've ever had featured Intel CPU's and none failed. I've also had no AMD CPU failures. It's the component I would least expect to tbh.
Skexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 12:16 PM   #98
gregpolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlife View Post
Funny how all those CPU's are still alive

At stock I'm not going to disagree it's reliable but moderate overclocks can reasonably easily kill an AMD CPU and while you might say that anything overclocked is pointless when talking about this sort of thing unfortunately AMD needs to be overclocked to get decent performance unlike Intel which has no real world gains from doing so
I've had AMD since the first athlon and overclocked every single one and yet to have a CPU or motherboard failure. I've also not known a friend to ever have such a failure. I had a pentium 3 die once so I guess by my terrific sample size, AMD is flawless and intel has horrible reliability.

A single piece of 'intel killing' tech won't be enough for AMD to make a big comeback. They've had the intel killing tech before, and intel just use their better market position, partnerships with companies, manufacturing ability, aggressive pricing and the occasional spot of law breaking to stay ahead. AMD need hit after hit after hit if they want to make a serious dent again. Here's hoping that Zen and its follow up can be such a hit.

Apple demonstrate very well. No amount of 'iphone killing' devices would ever kill the iPhone because its far too big and the brand is too recognizable. Too many people do not give enough of a shit about researching their purchases to make the decision to buy an AMD based system if the AMD options were significantly better than intels offerings. They'll just buy intel because thats what dell and apple will sell them, because intel have a good business relationship with them and because the customer recognizes the sticker.
gregpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 12:23 PM   #99
Skexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregpolk View Post
....intel just use their better market position, partnerships with companies, manufacturing ability, aggressive pricing....and because the customer recognizes the sticker.
Advertising seems pretty non-existant as well. Lost count of the times I've seen Intel adverts with that annoying 4-tone chime but can't ever recall seeing a similar advert for an AMD offering.
Skexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 8:50 PM   #100
cdtoaster

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9726/a...h-ddr4-support

Moving their focus from high end where intel spank them to digital signage and point of sale
cdtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 9:35 AM   #101
armbarcrash

I've been using AMD since the Athlon 64. Sure, their kit isn't as good as it once was, but it still does everything I want it to do at a good price.

If AMD ever 'died' completely, we'd be back to the 'bad old' days where Intel charged insane prices for everything (particularly incremental improvements).

Having AMD around, even if they can't compete performance wise, keeps Intel relatively 'honest'.

Last edited by armbarcrash; 24th October 2015 at 9:37 AM.
armbarcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 11:45 AM   #102
mAJORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtoaster View Post
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9726/a...h-ddr4-support

Moving their focus from high end where intel spank them to digital signage and point of sale
Not moving their focus.. They've always had a hand inthat market, and continuing to do so obviously. Their focus is still firmly on Zen.

What is interesting about the release is it shows DDR4 controller is present on current Carrizo silicon
mAJORD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 11:03 PM   #103
KriiV

Quote:
Originally Posted by armbarcrash View Post
I've been using AMD since the Athlon 64. Sure, their kit isn't as good as it once was, but it still does everything I want it to do at a good price.

If AMD ever 'died' completely, we'd be back to the 'bad old' days where Intel charged insane prices for everything (particularly incremental improvements).

Having AMD around, even if they can't compete performance wise, keeps Intel relatively 'honest'.
This is so true. Not a massive fan of AMD but keeping them in the market is a good thing.
KriiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2015, 11:53 AM   #104
Sologuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriiV View Post
This is so true. Not a massive fan of AMD but keeping them in the market is a good thing.
Absolutely keep them in the market, I wish we had a 3rd player in x86 desktop enthusiasts market... but I'm dreaming, I know..
Sologuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 8:33 AM   #105
n2p4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriiV View Post
But isnt that the exact problem they have, I want them around but im not a fan so i most likely will never ever buy them? Even if they developed a chips that beats Intel in every aspect and is cooler and cheaper by a few $$ people would still buy the Intel.

Without people like you going with AMD then they have no hope of making any difference, cause if Zen was the best CPU released in its time, and the Intel variants are slower but no one bought it because "It's AMD, i'm not a fan" and still make a loss then what was the point
n2p4u is offline   Reply With Quote