Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 30th June 2015, 10:21 PM   #1
mixsetup Thread Starter

Default Microsoft to buy AMD?

Think they will ever sell to Samsung or Microsoft?

http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/30/micr...uy-amd-report/
AMD FX-9590, ASRock 990fx Extreme9 Motherboard,MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G , GeIL 16GB Kit DDR3 Evo Potenza @ 2400MHz, Sandisk Ultra II 240GB SSD, 2 X 2TB SATA3 HDD, 2TB NAS , 1TB SATA3, 2 X 2TB external HDD, LG Blu-Ray RW
mixsetup is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 30th June 2015, 10:23 PM   #2
Ratzz

of course, if the price is right.

My Rig
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 10:28 PM   #3
AEKaBeer

They would except they haven't been approached, this click bait rumor has been occurring all month, be it Samsung, MS, Qualcomm, ARM, and so on. My guess is someone's trying to shake up AMD's share price.
Old 30th June 2015, 10:31 PM   #4
mixsetup Thread Starter

Yeah the rumors have been going for years but maybe one day they will do it and sell.
AMD FX-9590, ASRock 990fx Extreme9 Motherboard,MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G , GeIL 16GB Kit DDR3 Evo Potenza @ 2400MHz, Sandisk Ultra II 240GB SSD, 2 X 2TB SATA3 HDD, 2TB NAS , 1TB SATA3, 2 X 2TB external HDD, LG Blu-Ray RW
Old 1st July 2015, 7:42 AM   #5
dcyloo

Even if it were true, why would Microsoft or Samsung want to buy AMD?

Samsung already has its manufacturing to produce the Exynos chips and it's in Microsoft's interest to not put Intel offside given that so many of Intel powered products run a Microsoft operating system.

It'd be a very silly move to purchase a chip manufacturer to say perform greater and tighter integrations into their single product Surface tablet.

I too agree that it's speculative click baiting. Though I wonder what the purpose of trying to do this for AMD's share price. The current share holders of AMD are trying to dump their shares?
I find it more and more difficult to purchase electronic consumer goods that are produced outside of China. All because of Kogan. They are the company who started all of this. Thank goodness for apple. I may get charged a fortune, but at least I know the goods are being made by happy, well paid workers.
I am disappointed in my life
dcyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 7:45 AM   #6
power

Microsoft have a track record of buying overvalued loser companies - why would this be any different.

Doubt it will happen though.
Old 1st July 2015, 8:53 AM   #7
mixsetup Thread Starter

As it says AMD in XBox one and PS4 so they wouldn't have to pay themselves for their chips and they could make money from the opposition.
Old 1st July 2015, 8:59 AM   #8
alch

Lets hope not.
It will destroy competition.
Like big ISPs buying out smaller ones.. Yes!... No.
Old 1st July 2015, 12:45 PM   #9
Euphoreia

Quote:
Originally Posted by alch View Post
It will destroy competition.
No, it won't. If anything, it's going to provide more competition. Means Intel will have to get off their ass and actually push themselves R&D wise instead of sitting back and doing fuck-all because AMD are trash and can't provide any competition.

As other have already mentioned, Microsoft buying AMD would piss off Intel pretty hard, and I'm not sure if Microsoft would want to walk that path...
Euphoreia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 12:47 PM   #10
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoreia View Post
No, it won't. If anything, it's going to provide more competition. Means Intel will have to get off their ass and actually push themselves R&D wise instead of sitting back and doing fuck-all because AMD are trash and can't provide any competition.

As other have already mentioned, Microsoft buying AMD would piss off Intel pretty hard, and I'm not sure if Microsoft would want to walk that path...
nah mate, Intel would take a great big shit all over them.
Old 1st July 2015, 1:18 PM   #11
gregpolk

I'd love to see Samsung by them. Let them catch up to intel's manufacturing process lead. Would make them a better competitor to intel and provide more aggressive pricing and product development from the both of them. Good result for the consumer. Samsung license some AMD graphics tech for their mobile chips don't they?
gregpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 1:35 PM   #12
NSanity

Samsung is most likely - Microsoft don't really want to be in the Semi-conductor business.

Samsung would probably awaken Intel ala the Core2 era again, and Intel would shit all over them. Then again, this all hinges on the idea that Intel would let the x86 license at AMD be transferred to Samsung on the purchase.

Intel have *really* smart people working for them, but they only work as hard as they have to - and if AMD keep shitting the bed on every front, why try harder?
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 1:43 PM   #13
Ratzz

AMD's biggest problem has always been its limited size/lack of resources. With the resources of Samsung behind it, it could be a game changer.

My Rig
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 1:55 PM   #14
power

Yeah Samsung already have fabs so getting some of their patents, etc might be beneficial.

Honestly though, I don't know that they'd really benefit that much.
Old 1st July 2015, 2:00 PM   #15
neRok

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSanity View Post
why try harder?
For the good of humanity
neRok is offline   Reply With Quote