Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 1st July 2015, 3:11 PM   #16
Danthemanz
Old School Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Yeah Samsung already have fabs so getting some of their patents, etc might be beneficial.

Honestly though, I don't know that they'd really benefit that much.
Very true. What exactly would they be looking to achieve? Running it as a separate company to bring it back to profit?
Samsung havent even been bothered to create a custom ARM core, what would they want with a custom X86 core? They are rolling their laptop business back as it is...

Microsoft could see some value in relation to the xbox side of things and im sure they could get AMD pretty cheap, but i cant see them trying to go up against Intel with only access inferior fabs, would be the kind of thing that could cause more problems for the WinTel world than it would help...

At the end of the day anything that can bring AMD back to a competitive place that forces Intel to try harder would be a good thing for everyone. I just dont see it happening without their own state of the art fabs and who would pay for 2 or 3 generations of fabs on the off chance that AMD might get some market share back?

As sad as it is to say or even think about, id be more upset to see the ATI wing of AMD die more than the CPU department...

Last edited by Danthemanz; 1st July 2015 at 4:54 PM.
Danthemanz is online now   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 1st July 2015, 4:00 PM   #17
NSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by neRok View Post
For the good of humanity
Except this is in direct opposition to the companies obligation to their shareholders.
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 6:05 PM   #18
SoulFire-Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by neRok View Post
For the good of humanity
Hahahahaha

*wiping tears of laughter from eyes*. I'm 99% sure if AMD are bought out, Intel will not let them have the x86 license... Pretty sure VIA still have an x86 license that they aren't allowed to sell (or transfer) if I remember correctly?

Last edited by SoulFire-Z; 1st July 2015 at 6:06 PM. Reason: added transfer part
SoulFire-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 9:13 PM   #19
gregpolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulFire-Z View Post
Hahahahaha

*wiping tears of laughter from eyes*. I'm 99% sure if AMD are bought out, Intel will not let them have the x86 license... Pretty sure VIA still have an x86 license that they aren't allowed to sell (or transfer) if I remember correctly?
Ah cool can you give us a scan of their licensing contract? You've read it apparently.

Via bought the x86 making Centaur Technologies to make x86 CPUs. So if VIA could buy a company with the license and keep the license I don't see why it would be any different for Samsung buying AMD to make x86, if they wanted to.
gregpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 9:23 PM   #20
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoreia View Post
No, it won't. If anything, it's going to provide more competition. Means Intel will have to get off their ass and actually push themselves R&D wise instead of sitting back and doing fuck-all because AMD are trash and can't provide any competition.
The level at which you trivialise microprocessor design and engineering amuses me greatly.
Old 1st July 2015, 10:08 PM   #21
ThunderbirdMoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsetup View Post
As it says AMD in XBox one and PS4 so they wouldn't have to pay themselves for their chips and they could make money from the opposition.
Makes sense. They already do this via their part ownership of Immersion who own the technology for force feedback. They can give themselves the best ATI chip for the xbox 4 too and only offer crappier options to the competition.

I'm surprised at how little AMD is worth. $1.81 billion. That is just sad. That can't even build a tunnel in Brisbane.
Core i7-4790K | Corsair 800d (air cooled)| Asus Z97-deluxe | 16Gb RAM | Sapphire R9-290 Trix| 256SSD + 1 + 1 + 3Tb HDDs | Model M + G9x | Yammy 673 | Benq XL2420Z | DLink 2890AL | Samsung GS7E | Ipod Touch 32Gb Black | HP Touch Pad 32Gb androidfied | Samsung Tab S 8.4"
ThunderbirdMoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 10:29 PM   #22
Euphoreia

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
The level at which you trivialise microprocessor design and engineering amuses me greatly.
Don't get me wrong, I understand that it's incredibly complex, but I think it all kinda went wrong when they sold their fabs
Euphoreia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 3:39 PM   #23
NSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoreia View Post
Don't get me wrong, I understand that it's incredibly complex, but I think it all kinda went wrong when they sold their fabs
Their fabs that were more than a generation behind Intel (and barely equivalent with TSMC) - on top of the fact they were borderline bankrupt and needed to find cash anywhere they could?

Yeah. The only reason AMD is even still a thing is because they sold those fabs.
Old 2nd July 2015, 3:47 PM   #24
power

I honestly think people underestimate in so many ways just how big Intel actually is.
Old 2nd July 2015, 3:58 PM   #25
chook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSanity View Post
Then again, this all hinges on the idea that Intel would let the x86 license at AMD be transferred to Samsung on the purchase.
Don't the terms of the x86 license from Intel state that AMD has to remain an independent entity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEscobar View Post
China had to abort their zerg rush policy and limit new unit creation.
chook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 4:42 PM   #26
NSanity

Quote:
I honestly think people underestimate in so many ways just how big Intel actually is.
Yep.

And its so easy to work out - Market Cap gives an inkling. The fact that they have 2 completely separate and independent x86 cpu teams should be another
Old 4th July 2015, 12:02 AM   #27
mAJORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregpolk View Post
I'd love to see Samsung by them. Let them catch up to intel's manufacturing process lead. Would make them a better competitor to intel and provide more aggressive pricing and product development from the both of them. Good result for the consumer. Samsung license some AMD graphics tech for their mobile chips don't they?
Quote:
Yeah Samsung already have fabs so getting some of their patents, etc might be beneficial.

Honestly though, I don't know that they'd really benefit that much.
Samsung and Globalfoundies are already collaborating to produce 14nm, and that is the process AMD will be using next year anyway, so whilst a merger would mean AMD technically have fabs again.. it wouldn't really make ant difference.

Anyway, these buyout rumors are just nonesense clickbait, so it's really not worth discussing
mAJORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 12:18 AM   #28
mixsetup Thread Starter

At least both would have the finance behind them. There would be no more rumors of them going broke all the time.
AMD FX-9590, ASRock 990fx Extreme9 Motherboard,MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G , GeIL 16GB Kit DDR3 Evo Potenza @ 2400MHz, Sandisk Ultra II 240GB SSD, 2 X 2TB SATA3 HDD, 2TB NAS , 1TB SATA3, 2 X 2TB external HDD, LG Blu-Ray RW
mixsetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 12:28 AM   #29
mAJORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulFire-Z View Post
Hahahahaha

it's not that simple.
They cross licence technologies, most notably on AMD side, x86-64. but there's many others (on both sides). It's a two way street, and as such they would likely strike a deal, just as they did with the creation of Global Foundries, which technically also violated the licencing agreement.

Edit- and to clarify - No AMD can't revoke any licences even if Intel was to terminate AMD's, but the point is, a strong cross licencing relationship is in the best interest to both companies, now and in future.

Last edited by mAJORD; 4th July 2015 at 12:45 AM.
mAJORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 5:11 PM   #30
round
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
bigger they are, harder they fall... except when they have a patient firewall lol
round is offline   Reply With Quote