Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Old 9th July 2015, 9:11 AM   #46
mAJORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebee View Post
could you imagine if amd suddenly went from producing aprox. 30nm chips to producing at 12nm...
I think you mean 32/28 to 14nm.. and this is exactly what is happening anyway.. next year. Samsung buyout wouldn't change this.

Samsung not have a suitable 14nm process for the marority of AMD's bread and butter products (and nor does anyone else for that matter - GF and Samsung 14nm are basically the same) ,so if even they could magically port designs to it with a the press of a button.. it still wouldn't be possible.
mAJORD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 11:28 AM   #47
Freebee

Guys, chill out... I'm sorry if I looked at things from an overly simplistic point of view for your liking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post
I think you mean 32/28 to 14nm.. and this is exactly what is happening anyway.. next year. Samsung buyout wouldn't change this.

Samsung not have a suitable 14nm process for the marority of AMD's bread and butter products (and nor does anyone else for that matter - GF and Samsung 14nm are basically the same) ,so if even they could magically port designs to it with a the press of a button.. it still wouldn't be possible.
OK, yes that's what I mean, was simplifying it and also slightly confused.. Heard that the s6 was using a chip based on a better node than everyone else.. Assumed 12/10nm... Also heard Intel was having issues with a move to a new node.. As for amd moving to 14 that's good to hear... Was pretty sure they were stuck with 20+nm due to GF, didn't know they were finally moving forward...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSanity View Post
lol. No. Samsung isn't even close to Intel. When you start talking yields as well as process - they are 1.5-2 years behind.

Also lol no. Why the hell would you alienate close to 98% of your server market and easily high 70-80% of your desktop market? And tempt the wrath of the EU/DoJ again?
OK, sorry.. Thought Samsung was ahead.. But they still actually have their own fab's... Something amd dosnt so still an advantage..

Also did you read the second part... I didn't say for Microsoft to break Intel optimisation... Jut to improve amd optimisation.. And the other part was summarised in "anti competitive crap"
(mb,cpu & gpu were free)

Last edited by Freebee; 9th July 2015 at 1:25 PM.
Freebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 12:55 PM   #48
chainbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
First Nokia, now AMD, what's next Blackberry?

Bill does like to give money to charities.
Buying Nokia was a gigantic flop. It was just announced they now have to write down almost the entire investment, I think this is almost 8 billion USD. 8,000 people will lose their jobs.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07...hone_job_cuts/

MS is at the same time heavily investing into cloud computing, and their revenue/profit from software sales is declining. I don't think they have the guts and the means to go for another major investment for the time being.

Last edited by chainbolt; 9th July 2015 at 1:04 PM.
chainbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 1:03 PM   #49
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainbolt View Post
Buying Nokia was a gigantic flop. It was just announced they now have to right down almost the entire investment, I think this is almost 8 billion USD. 8,000 people will lose their jobs.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07...hone_job_cuts/

MS is at the same time heavily investing into cloud computing, and their revenue/profit from software sales is declining. I don't think they have the guts and the means to go for another major investment for the time being.
yeah I read about the trimming of the mobile division a bit earlier today.

they are go hell bent for leather on their new subscription based world takeover.
Old 9th July 2015, 2:50 PM   #50
NSanity

Quote:
MS still has a fuckton of liquid cash ($92bn in Feb)...
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 2:54 PM   #51
power

Quote:
hookers and blow mate, that's what they should be investing in - not black holes.
Old 9th July 2015, 4:27 PM   #52
NSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
hookers and blow mate, that's what they should be investing in - not black holes.
at least you'll have a hangover w/ hookers and blow.
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 5:02 PM   #53
mAJORD

Quote:
lol. No. Samsung isn't even close to Intel. When you start talking yields as well as process - they are 1.5-2 years behind.

Do you have Yield figures to back that up?

Intel's Ramp of 14nm wasn't without significant delay. It's not apples to apples of course, but Samsungs LPE was only about 6 Months behind Intel as far as getting chips out the door goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebee View Post
OK, yes that's what I mean, was simplifying it and also slightly confused.. Heard that the s6 was using a chip based on a better node than everyone else.. Assumed 12/10nm... Also heard Intel was having issues with a move to a new node.. As for amd moving to 14 that's good to hear... Was pretty sure they were stuck with 20+nm due to GF, didn't know they were finally moving forward...

Well you are right all fronts. In the context of low power phone SoC's at least (Including Intel), as they (Samsung) are the only ones on 14nm in that space.

But when you start talking high performance parts like desktop GPU's, and CPU's, everything changes, with Intel the only ones on 14nm , with a huge lead over the current SHP 28nm that AMD/Nvidia are indeed still stuck on.
Old 9th July 2015, 5:36 PM   #54
Euphoreia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post
But when you start talking high performance parts like desktop GPU's, and CPU's, everything changes, with Intel the only ones on 14nm , with a huge lead over the current SHP 28nm that AMD/Nvidia are indeed still stuck on.
With a literal halving of process size, is it unrealistic to expect an 80%+ performance increase on a perf/watt basis?
Euphoreia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 1:10 AM   #55
chainbolt

Quote:
That is an estimation, and was before their 8 billion USD write down on the Nokia investment, and the follow up cost of another 1 billion or so for the restructuring and layoffs.

Of course MS could buy AMD. AMD has a market capitalization of just 1.6 billion USD. (Intel has a market capitalization of 140 billion USD). If MS takes over, the AMD price would probably double, but still peanuts for them. Financially - no problem. I wonder though they have the appetite after all of their recent investments flopped.
Old 10th July 2015, 3:38 PM   #56
bobbavet

Microsoft buy AMD, wheel out "Project Quantum" as "Xbone4k". Lets face it, first to produce a Console that does 4k 60fps wins.

All for it. I don't care who buys AMD, just bring in some $$$ and I think it will happen soon hopefully. Samsung would be a great fit too.

AMD need a cash injection, they don't need to be "just up to" Intel/Nvidia. They have to be in front. Not by miles just trading "decent" blows.

Yeh sure "King of the Hill" and all that shit. I just want competition with companies striving to better each other. We all benefit and move forward faster.

Moores Law has been on holidays for too long.

Asrock X99M Killer Fatal1ty 5820K 295x2 Build log

Last edited by bobbavet; 10th July 2015 at 3:40 PM.
bobbavet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 11:37 AM   #57
mAJORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoreia View Post
With a literal halving of process size, is it unrealistic to expect an 80%+ performance increase on a perf/watt basis?
I think realistically, you'd be looking at anywhere from 30-50% at most, based on FinFeT being most advantegous in the low frequency/core voltage domain, not os much higher performance stuff (look at Ivy vs SB for example)
Old 14th July 2015, 12:52 AM   #58
chainbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbavet View Post
I just want competition with companies striving to better each other. We all benefit and move forward faster.
True regarding competition, but do we need AMD for this? Intel's next biggest competitors in the microprocessor market are other companies, and the market is anyway shifting from PC/Server MPUs to tablets and cell phones.

Old 14th July 2015, 1:55 AM   #59
Ratzz

I think Samsung should buy AMD. Then you would see some decent product come out. In the meantime we should all choose teams to support AMD. I'm on the opposing team

My Rig- Asrock AB350 Fatal1ty ITX,
R7 1700, 32GB LPX 2666, 512GB 960 Pro, Asus Phoenix GTX 1060 3GB
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 3:42 PM   #60
mAJORD

Quote:
True regarding competition, but do we need AMD for this? Intel's next biggest competitors in the microprocessor market are other companies, and the market is anyway shifting from PC/Server MPUs to tablets and cell phones.

Well actually, the Tablet and cellphone markets are stagnating now, with growth actually slower than x86 based devices this year.. and predicted to continue this way at least in the short term.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/tablet-...tops-take-off/

Windows 10 might even boost this trend 'back' to more sophisticated PC/windows/x86 devices.

The chart you linked is misleading, since all the companies you mention don't compete with either AMD or Intel (with a few very minor exceptions)

But Ultimatly, if x86 was to die tomorrow, you wouldn't need AMD OR Intel for good competition in what would remain of the industry ( ARM based platforms basically).