Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Old 20th January 2016, 10:08 AM   #1
power Thread Starter

Default AMD accuses Intel and SYSmark of shenanigans

to me it sounds like they are having a big cry as per usual, sour grapes etc, etc.

My advice to AMD - fight fire with fire. Strike back with good product, that's the only way to compete.

The article has a lot of commenters saying something similar - people do not like it when AMD does this kind of thing and they are making a habit of it as noted at the end of the article. The comparison to the VW dieselgate scandal is absolutely going too far as well imo and completely bizarre.

AMD slams “biased” and “unreliable” Intel benchmarks

Quote:
AMD, a company famous for its subtlety and restraint when dealing with competitors, is once again accusing Intel of unfair business practices, this time around dodgy benchmarks. Rather than provide useful metrics to consumers, AMD says Intel's use of the SYSmark benchmarking tool unfairly favours Intel products by putting too much emphasis on raw CPU performance. It even went as far to compare said practice to the recent VW emissions scandal, in which diesel engines could detect when they were having their emissions tested, changing their performance accordingly to improve results.

"Information provided by even the most established organisations can be misleading," explains AMD's John Hampton in a video titled "Truth or Myth?: Is SYSmark a Reliable Benchmark?" on YouTube. The video, in which a po-faced Hampton and technical sidekick Tony Salinas explain the Intel problem in true 60 Minutes style, shows SYSmark on a pair of PCs, one powered by an Intel Core i5 processor and the other by an AMD FX chip. The Core i5 system scored 987, while a "comparable AMD platform" running an FX processor scored 659. "That's a delta of 50 percent. Quite astonishing and not realistic in what real life performance is like," says Salinas.
Quote:
While AMD does have a point that there's little difference between AMD and Intel chips for mainstream users, to completely snub the CPU-focused benchmarks of SYSmark isn't entirely fair either. For enthusiasts that want the fastest system, regardless of cost or other factors, the raw CPU performance that SYSmark tests is just as important as overall system performance. That's especially true for games, which currently favour higher single-threaded performance over more cores, at least until DirectX 12 arrives.
This isn't the first time that AMD has spoken out over Intel's business practices. Back in the the mid-2000s, AMD believed Intel was issuing payments to manufacturers like Toshiba and NEC, on the promise that they wouldn’t use AMD processors in their products. More recently, the company said Nvidia "completely sabotaged" Witcher 3 performance with its GameWorks APIs, and also implied sites like the The Tech Report wrote unfair reviews.

Last edited by power; 20th January 2016 at 10:12 AM.
power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 10:26 AM   #2
_slacker_

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
My advice to AMD - fight fire with fire. Strike back with good product, that's the only way to compete.
This to a "T"

Bring me an AMD CPU/APU that can whupass over an i7 or atleast keep up with one and then they will be back in the ball game and customers screaming for product again.
**Asrock X370 Gaming K4 ** AMD Ryzen 1700@ 4Ghz ** Team Group Dark Pro 3000 @2933 C12-11-11-11-25 ** XFX RX480 @1405/2055** Samsung Evo 960 M.2 + Evo 850 ** EKWB Watercooled ** Silverstone 750w Gold**
_slacker_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 10:31 AM   #3
philscomputerlab

Does anyone really care about Sysmark?

I look at gaming and video encoding benchmarks as that is what interest me the most.
philscomputerlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 3:22 PM   #4
dirtyd

Quote:
Back in the the mid-2000s, AMD believed Intel was issuing payments to manufacturers like Toshiba and NEC, on the promise that they wouldn’t use AMD processors in their products.
"believed". So did the FTC.
"It is worthy of remark that a belief constantly inculcated during the early years of life, whilst the brain is impressible, appears to acquire almost the nature of an instinct; and the very essence of an instinct is that it is followed independently of reason." - Charles Darwin
dirtyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 3:28 PM   #5
The Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by philscomputerlab View Post
I look at gaming and video encoding benchmarks as that is what interest me the most.
Bingo - Intel's FP performance since the Core Solo has just smashed AMD.

AMD make all these claims about anti-competitive behaviour damaging their business but it just so happened to coincide with them falling behind.

They haven't put a really competitive general use processor on the table for years. They were the gamers darling.

Now they are just lying (Bulldozer) and claiming the victim.

Meanwhile Intel is innovating and dominating.

Addicted to folding club member #313 - i7/965/GTX260

Diablo 3: TheBrad#6547
The Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 3:36 PM   #6
power Thread Starter

Quote:
Does anyone really care about Sysmark?

The press often use tools like this to measure performance and make pretty graphs.
Old 20th January 2016, 3:54 PM   #7
philscomputerlab

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
The press often use tools like this to measure performance and make pretty graphs.
Yea but SYSmark? I can't remember seeing that one, like ever?
philscomputerlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 4:08 PM   #8
power Thread Starter

Quote:
Yea but SYSmark? I can't remember seeing that one, like ever?
AMD have, and they don't like it - a lot. lol
Old 20th January 2016, 9:32 PM   #9
mAJORD

This has been going on since AMD, Nvidia and VIA all quit BAPco over concerns with the tests.

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/06/20/n...-sysmark-2012/

So it's pretty obvious it would now be pretty heavily optimised for Intel CPU's.

I agree though they should just let it go now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brad View Post
Meanwhile Intel is innovating and dominating.

Dominating yes.. Innovating ? I don't think so.
mAJORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 9:36 PM   #10
The Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post
Dominating yes.. Innovating ? I don't think so.
Really?

i7 gets more and more powerful and efficient every generation. Xeon power is simply amazing these days per RU. Features like Quicksync genuinely improve real world applications.

Lots and lots of tricks developed for the portable processors mean now that more and more powerful processors are more and more power and heat efficient.

Old 20th January 2016, 9:56 PM   #11
mAJORD

It would be a bit of a stretch to call evolutionary improvements in perf/watt 'Innovations' in the broader sense.

Quicksync, fair enough, but there's been many similar examples from other companies over the years.

Of the two companies though, It's AMD that's pushing for more innovation in the industry. Intel are quite happy to keep dominating an x86 only world for as long as they can.

And that's crux of the issue with Bapco /Sysmark
Old 20th January 2016, 10:41 PM   #12
The Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post
Of the two companies though, It's AMD that's pushing for more innovation in the industry. Intel are quite happy to keep dominating an x86 only world for as long as they can.
I hope it isn't like their innovations in the ARM space, because another disaster like that will be the death of them.

Old 21st January 2016, 5:44 PM   #13
bennyg

Somehow it seems to be shooting oneself in the foot to be saying "The benchmark is deceptive because it shows our CPUs to be more badly behind than we really are"...
bennyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 10:01 PM   #14
HobartTas

I vaguely recall when the 2900XT came out that it had the same 3dmark score as the 8800GTX, however the 8800GTS? was also released and that was about 70% of the speed of the 8800GTX. When you benchmarked all three cards on about 10 different games the 2900XT was comparable to the lower Nvidia card.
HobartTas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 11:24 PM   #15
mAJORD

Yep , though 3Dmark06 came out well before r600 even existed, so not really the same circumstance, it just happend to do well in the benchmark, especially since it runs with no AA - which the 2900 sucked at badly.