Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 3rd August 2016, 4:19 PM   #1
Esposch Thread Starter

Default Anyone out there using an AM3+ (Phenom II) stock cooler?

Hi guys.
Just upgraded my CPU from a Phenom II 965 to an FX-8350 and have been having some thermal issues when OCing.

I strongly suspect that the fan has packed it in. I remember it revving up like a chainsaw under load back when I got it. Now, even when running Prime95, it's whisper quiet and won't go above 3000RPM.

Is my memory bad or is that just what these coolers are like? What RPM do you guys get on yours under full load?

Cheers,
~Esposch
Successful trades with: Brewsky, Marcwolf, .Radiant, Someguy1234, Warrenr, Chris H, Wako, Beaistheman, Stooge007, Sime, Anthoclocker, mootant, MrvNDMrtN, TomJ, The Mastermind, Kingz113, B3ND3R, Louie86, Kenny34, houndog, havoxz, Mifferz, areal, 2red and more...
Esposch is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 4th August 2016, 12:40 PM   #2
McMoron

Hey Esposch, I had a stock cooled Phenom 2 965BE until very recently. The fan was still really good up until replacement. I only know this because it ramped up the noise like a jet engine on take off.

I'm not sure how accurate this information is, but according to this website, the maximum RPM of the AM3 cooler is just over 3000RPM.

What temps are you getting? If it's heating up too much, the CPU will throttle down, so you might want to have a look at both. If you're worried about the longevity, you could get a new fan/heatsink combo. You could hardly do any worse than a stock cooler.
AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.8GHz under a Noctua NH-U14 \\ Gigabyte Aorus AX370 Gaming 5 \\ 16GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3000MHz \\ Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX1070 \\ Seasonic 750W PSU \\ Corsair Carbide 540 Cube in white
Acer XR341CK 34in WQHD monitor // Varmilo VA68M // Cougar 700M Black

Last edited by McMoron; 4th August 2016 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Formatting
McMoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2016, 3:32 PM   #3
Esposch Thread Starter

Thanks. I saw that website but wasn't sure how accurate it was. I swear the fan used to be a jet engine, and now it's just a little whimper. Still records ~3000RPM.

Temps are not an issue at stock (max I hit was about 60 when running Prime95 on stock), but when OC'd (even to just 4.5GHz @ 1.45V) it'll hit TJ Max and shut down within minutes of starting Prime95.

Not that there's anything necessarily strange about overheating when OCing, but the fan did sound awfully quiet.

I ended up wiring it up to an external 12V source and pushed through 100% PWM to blue. It was drawing a grand total of 60mA. Rating on the sticker said a max of 0.48A. I think that says a fair bit...
Successful trades with: Brewsky, Marcwolf, .Radiant, Someguy1234, Warrenr, Chris H, Wako, Beaistheman, Stooge007, Sime, Anthoclocker, mootant, MrvNDMrtN, TomJ, The Mastermind, Kingz113, B3ND3R, Louie86, Kenny34, houndog, havoxz, Mifferz, areal, 2red and more...
Esposch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2016, 6:26 AM   #4
McMoron

I skipped a few AMD CPU generations, so I don't really know whether they kept the same stock cooler. I'm guessing you're talking about the stock cooler for the 8350?

Like I said, if you're worried about whether the fan will last the distance, maybe going out and getting an aftermarket heatsink and fan would be a good idea. Some companies offer a six year warranty and are whisper quiet (depends if that's a good thing in your mind).
AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.8GHz under a Noctua NH-U14 \\ Gigabyte Aorus AX370 Gaming 5 \\ 16GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3000MHz \\ Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX1070 \\ Seasonic 750W PSU \\ Corsair Carbide 540 Cube in white
Acer XR341CK 34in WQHD monitor // Varmilo VA68M // Cougar 700M Black
McMoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 3:36 PM   #5
Devils
(Taking a Break)

I have an Athlon II quad core overclocked to 3.6Ghz and its totally stable.
Devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 4:12 PM   #6
dr_deathy

I have used heaps and amd coolers are loud and intel's have motor whine. Get an aftermarket or the amd wraith cooler is very good. I used a few on the top end fm2's and they are great.
dr_deathy is offline   Reply With Quote