Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 20th August 2016, 9:01 PM   #16
Rockman.EXE

Better IPC is better IPC, software optimising will not fix that.

Main rig - https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/VcctLD

Home Server - https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/NPhwYr
Rockman.EXE is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 30th August 2016, 12:12 AM   #17
Mika75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoreia View Post
Even Skylake i3 (2 Core, 4 Thread) is frequently smacking down the FX8350's in game/overall performance in anything but rendering. It's a 4 year old chip that was never that good to begin with, and is now currently in a very sad state of affairs. Mind you, the i3 is $100 cheaper, less than half the power consumption, less PSU requirements, better boards are cheaper and less HS/F noise...
AMD FX 8300 vs. Intel i3 6100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLkaNWo0EV0

Quote:
As far as the results go there's no hiding the truth, the FX 8300 came out on top in almost every scenario.
Mika75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 9:52 AM   #18
General_Cartman

Quote:
Not really, no, because it also takes better advantage of Intel's Hyperthreading.
AMD multi-thread scaling is better than Intel's as a Bulldozer module has more execution resources than a core with hyper-threading (this is comparing a 4 module bulldozer with a 4 core i7).

Bulldozer was uncompetitive because it has a shockingly low IPC compared to the Core series and because it never hit the clock speeds it was designed for, its single threaded performance was crap - which was more important than multi-threaded performance then and even now.

Last edited by General_Cartman; 30th August 2016 at 9:55 AM.
General_Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 9:48 PM   #19
mAJORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Cartman View Post
AMD multi-thread scaling is better than Intel's as a Bulldozer module has more execution resources than a core with hyper-threading (this is comparing a 4 module bulldozer with a 4 core i7).

Bulldozer was uncompetitive because it has a shockingly low IPC compared to the Core series and because it never hit the clock speeds it was designed for, its single threaded performance was crap - which was more important than multi-threaded performance then and even now.
it Arguably did when it launched, alongside Sandybridge, That was many years ago now - Skylake core has not only more resources, but lower latencies throughout, this giving it higher throughput not matter what you throw at it.

That said, the old FX's do alright in games with highly threaded , particularly those which are more Integer bound on the CPU side.

This kind of answers the OP's question at the same time - The goal posts have moved, so it's more a case of it 'still' doing OK , or doing better compared to its competition at the time of launch in modern DX12 titles - providing the dev has taken advantage of MT
mAJORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 9:31 PM   #20
Nian Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post
it Arguably did when it launched, alongside Sandybridge, That was many years ago now - Skylake core has not only more resources, but lower latencies throughout, this giving it higher throughput not matter what you throw at it.

That said, the old FX's do alright in games with highly threaded , particularly those which are more Integer bound on the CPU side.

This kind of answers the OP's question at the same time - The goal posts have moved, so it's more a case of it 'still' doing OK , or doing better compared to its competition at the time of launch in modern DX12 titles - providing the dev has taken advantage of MT
Nice video. Sounds like they are getting closer to their true potential

Even if it is below the current mid/high end Intel CPU's, at their current price AMD FX processors are by the looks of things, the budget kings. Especially with Windows 10, DirectX12, and Vulkan.
Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer, AMD FX-8370 BE @ 4.5Ghz, G.Skill TridentX DDR3 @ 2133 Mhz 10-12-12-31 4x8Gb , 2x Gigabyte Windforce 3 R9 290X OC 4Gb GV-R929XOC-4GD, Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Cooler Master V8

Old System: Gigabyte GA-965p-DS4 Rev. 1.0, Q9300ES @ 2.8Ghz, Team Xtreem Dark DDR2 740Mhz 4-4-4-12 4x2Gb, AFox HD7850 2Gb, Asus Xonar D2X, CoolerMaster CM690. Zalman CNPS9700 LED
Nian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 11:16 PM   #21
Euphoreia

I'll disagree, when a $100 cheaper Intel CPU is doing this well at less than half the power/heat, i can't see any reason to go for the AMD alternative. Spending $255 on a CPU? Buy an i5 and crush it.
Euphoreia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 11:37 AM   #22
Nian Thread Starter

Quote:
movie

I'll disagree, when a $100 cheaper Intel CPU is doing this well at less than half the power/heat, i can't see any reason to go for the AMD alternative. Spending $255 on a CPU? Buy an i5 and crush it.
That was an irrelevant link.

Not one of the games benchmarked were DirectX 12 or Vulkan.
Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer, AMD FX-8370 BE @ 4.5Ghz, G.Skill TridentX DDR3 @ 2133 Mhz 10-12-12-31 4x8Gb , 2x Gigabyte Windforce 3 R9 290X OC 4Gb GV-R929XOC-4GD, Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Cooler Master V8

Old System: Gigabyte GA-965p-DS4 Rev. 1.0, Q9300ES @ 2.8Ghz, Team Xtreem Dark DDR2 740Mhz 4-4-4-12 4x2Gb, AFox HD7850 2Gb, Asus Xonar D2X, CoolerMaster CM690. Zalman CNPS9700 LED
Nian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 12:01 PM   #23
hvalac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nian View Post
That was an irrelevant link.

Not one of the games benchmarked were DirectX 12 or Vulkan.
Well I think it shows the point perfectly.

Nothing there is dx12 or vulkan.

Originally Posted by jmart38 They're rude because they have to deal with idiots like me all the time.

Originally Posted by Philll First, let's count the amount of fucks I give about what anyone else thinks. Let's do it, we'll start with 0. Okay: 0. All done.
hvalac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 12:28 PM   #24
Euphoreia

Where it will take even more advantage of Intel's Hyperthreading? Yeah sure.

We'll see.
Old 1st September 2016, 12:30 PM   #25
hvalac

Source

Now I will admit, it's only 1 game but it is 1 game that has had a massive amount of optimization to it.... also I can't really find anything else half decent out there because there is no dx12 / vulkan / anything you want amd to strive in, because there is nothing.

Originally Posted by jmart38 They're rude because they have to deal with idiots like me all the time.

Originally Posted by Philll First, let's count the amount of fucks I give about what anyone else thinks. Let's do it, we'll start with 0. Okay: 0. All done.

Last edited by hvalac; 1st September 2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 1st September 2016, 12:48 PM   #26
Euphoreia

And that's the Haswell (?) based i3, the Skylake one is notably stronger yet again
Old 1st September 2016, 6:30 PM   #27
hvalac

Another ashes bm with a more relevant intel cpu.
Source

Old 2nd September 2016, 7:34 AM   #28
Euphoreia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika75 View Post
AMD FX 8300 vs. Intel i3 6100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLkaNWo0EV0
Yes, let's overclock the AMD chip to the hilt and then have a comparison. Get outta here, lol...

FX8350 and i5 6400, same price. Guess which one CRUSHES the other one in EVERYTHING? Yep.
Old 9th September 2016, 1:29 PM   #29
Perko

From what I can see in these reviews, they're being compared to i3's now, even in DX12 and Vulkan. I recall people comparing them to i5's when they came out, so I'm guessing that the answer to OP is, "not really". They were always reasonably serviceable chips imo, but they are just too old now to be relevant, especially given that they were never powerhouses from the get-go.

Taking it a step further, which I know isn't part of the question, even though DX12 and Vulkan are designed to make better use of multicore chips, they also add a whole bunch of resource intensive features, which studios will be quite keen to leverage within reasonable hardware constraints; so the more efficient use of resources will be offset by a greater base demand for them.

Quote:
Yes, let's overclock the AMD chip to the hilt and then have a comparison. Get outta here, lol...

FX8350 and i5 6400, same price. Guess which one CRUSHES the other one in EVERYTHING? Yep.
Bingo, the i5 will have significant IPC advantages over the i3, and that doesn't even take the heat, power, longevity etc issues of running the 32nm AMD chip at those clocks. With the information we have at hand right now, there is no reason to put an 8350 in a gaming rig other than brand loyalty. If you're dead against Intel, or loyal to AMD for whatever reason(s), wait for Zen. If you're building gaming PCs for other people, either abstain, or swallow your bias.
Main: Phanteks Enthoo Primo/Enermax Platimax 850/MSI X99A SLI Plus/i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz/Noctua NH-D15/Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz Low Profile/Galax GTX 1080 EXOC/ASUS Xonar STU + Beyer T70/Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 1TB Caviar Black/Win 10 Pro/Cherry Compuregister - MX Clears/Mionix Naos 3200/X-Star DP2710 Glossy
Notebook: ASUS ROG G53SW w/ Win 10 + Ubuntu 16.04
Perko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 6:17 PM   #30
philscomputerlab

Quote:

Yea I saw that video also, not sure why he overclocked them.

Looks like the i5s have come down in price, they cost indeed just as much as the FX.

It's funny, I use the AMD gear for something totally different: Windows XP retro gaming projects
philscomputerlab is offline   Reply With Quote