Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 8th December 2016, 8:57 AM   #31
sonicthemouse Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane41 View Post
You don't have any money left it's also increasing in value.
Plastic sealed units. Battery just wears out

Many legend Retro guys in here, sure they can help if you need it.
Lol yeah that retro tech... every minute that passes it doubles in price

Quote:
Originally Posted by JidaiGeki View Post

/snip/

The best part of that job was having the keys to pretty much the whole building, except for Global Services and the DASD "hall". There used to be decommissioned PS/2s, AS/400s and RS/6000s in underground storerooms, and about 1km of service tunnels to hang out in. Was 100x better than being stuck behind the desk all day. Should have asked for some souvenirs but retro wasn't really a thing for me then ... Anyway, good times
So... this "major IBM Australia site"... whereabouts was it? I mean, just roughly, i.e. the exact GPS co-ordinates

And uh... these "keys to the whole building"... what was their security like? Just in general i.e. the exact details of every security mechanism they have in place

And whereabouts would these fabled store rooms be? Again no need to be precise but exact building schematics wouldn't go astray

runs off to get ski mask and bolt cutters, those underground store rooms aren't going to clean themselves out now are they? I'd be doing them a favour by getting rid of their old junk, right? Right!?

Lol nah that kind of scenario seems fairly typical in large organisations, although I'm surprised that they were that late to start moving away from PS/2s. Certainly sounds like good times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannula View Post
Common in computers up to Pentium Pros, they might be in some boards past socket 8 but none that I can remember.
They don't corrode when they fail (at least there is no record of one failing and causing motherboard damage on the internet that I am aware of) as the power source is contained within the chip itself.

Basically if it's soldered in and you aren't good at soldering, do the mod as it's a lot easier than resoldering a new chip or chip holder after desoldering out the old one. If it's socketed, easy to just order one new.
Hm, Pentium Pro, had totally forgotten about that one! I had one kicking around but I gave/sold it (can't remember) to C-BuZz. Wonder if he's still got it

Anyway glad to hear that they don't corrode - at least that's one board I won't have to worry about when I fire all these up in the coming days/weeks.

No idea what chip I'm actually looking for at this stage but I'll take a few pics of the board and the BIOS and see what I learn - my soldering is reasonable so on an older board desoldering a chip and soldering in a chip holder shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The only time I've had an issue with some component replacement is on a newer board which had very odd solder (maybe it's hotter melting point or something) that would melt, and then just kind of "stick" to everything - itself, the iron tip, etc. Hard to explain but it was a lot more sticky/thick/goopey than normal solder which kinda "runs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoJoker View Post
The Family 386

So many memories of gaming on one of these. From Sopwith, Alley Cat, Ultima IV and I think one of the greatest games (ahead) of it's time, Microprose Formula One Grand Prix. All this gaming goodness took place for me on a CGA screen, love that 4 colour goodness LOL.

Thanks for the memories, don't forget to put some or all of those titles on the machine
Yeah I'll load those up - googling for a CGA screenshot of MicroProse F1 reminded me of another one I spent a good long while on - Sid Meier's Civilization (also a MicroProse title)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin Joe View Post
Despite having EGA graphics, I played a lot of the early games I had in CGA which was fun. Funny thing, I had a dodgy copy of Test Drive which was only in CGA and for a long time I thought that was the norm having never touched it since. Fast forward to now and not too long ago I picked up a copy and what do I find? A disk labeled "EGA" as well as a "CGA" disk. You bastard!!! You mean I could of been playing in glorious EGA all those years ago!!
LOL that's classic I only ever played it in EGA/VGA, didn't even know there was a CGA version. Just had a look for some screenshots... god that's horrid in CGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
IBM PC DOS initially. This was right around the time when Microsoft started doing dodgy things that ultimately ended up in MS DOS reaching popularity. But if you want to be era-accurate, tracking down a version of PC DOS that matches the year of manufacture of the motherboard would be your best bet.

There were a few models that shipped with early builds of OS/2, which could be fun to try and get working. Not a whole lot of entertainment software for OS/2 though (it was all business software), so you'd be booting back to PC DOS to play games.
Yeah I remember reading about some versions of Windows that would do a check to ensure the PC was running MS DOS before installing

Talk about 3rd line enforcement

And yeah I got that impression of OS/2, although not all these machines have to be able to run games, I'm thinking maybe PC-DOS and OS/2 might be the way to go with this one just for the historical value

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean0118 View Post
That's just around the corner from where I grew up! I was probably too young then though, I do remember there was some building with a rusted water cart, it was on the south side of that intersection... weird the things I remember!
Wow, the world is certainly odd. A "random" OCAU member in Sydney with a monitor that I happen to want, also happened to grow up just around the corner from where I too grew up

Check Out: Sonic's "Museum" - a PC from each generation!

Quote:
What's on eBay? Or scumtree if you're wanting to swap for a fish tank or a bong.
sonicthemouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 8th December 2016, 9:27 AM   #32
MonoJoker

Quote:
Despite having EGA graphics, I played a lot of the early games I had in CGA which was fun. Funny thing, I had a dodgy copy of Test Drive which was only in CGA and for a long time I thought that was the norm having never touched it since. Fast forward to now and not too long ago I picked up a copy and what do I find? A disk labeled "EGA" as well as a "CGA" disk. You bastard!!! You mean I could of been playing in glorious EGA all those years ago!!
LOL that's gold. I think the first game I got to play in glorious EGA was Prince of Persia. Now I have an old 286 laptop in my collection with a very small LCD screen and it has a working version of PoP on floppy. I'd never complain about CGA again if I had to play anything on LCD

Edit to stay on topic: When you get around to doing a hugely overclocked AMD Athlon/Duron build (assuming that's on the list :P) you MUST use an FOP38 cooler on it - if you weren't industrially deaf before you will be after 10 minutes using that. They were infamous back in the day for their ear destroying ability haha. Mind you I got my Duron 600 up to 900MHz using one.

Last edited by MonoJoker; 8th December 2016 at 9:31 AM.
MonoJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 10:17 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoJoker View Post
LOL that's gold. I think the first game I got to play in glorious EGA was Prince of Persia. Now I have an old 286 laptop in my collection with a very small LCD screen and it has a working version of PoP on floppy. I'd never complain about CGA again if I had to play anything on LCD

Edit to stay on topic: When you get around to doing a hugely overclocked AMD Athlon/Duron build (assuming that's on the list :P) you MUST use an FOP38 cooler on it - if you weren't industrially deaf before you will be after 10 minutes using that. They were infamous back in the day for their ear destroying ability haha. Mind you I got my Duron 600 up to 900MHz using one.
Yeah I'm starting to feel "young" (despite "kids these days" having no idea what DOS is nor any idea how to operate a computer that's not a touchscreen, let alone one without a mouse ) - I only ever played PoP in EGA/VGA, again didn't know there was a CGA version

I wasn't planning to re-do "iconic" builds, rather, a system from each rough "generation". I haven't fininshed the list yet but I never had an AMD system in that era, I went P3 -> P4 -> Athlon XP 1800 (#bestsystem #winning #socketA4lyf)

Although I could potentially do one build on each socket - just that gets a bit messy (and starts taking up space) in the early Pentium days with Socket 5 / Socket 7 / Slot 1 etc.

... looks like AMD used Socket A all the way from your Duron 600 (would've run SD PC-133 right?) right up to the Athlon 3200+ (some boards by then even ran dual channel DDR400 + 4-pin CPU power), that's quite an impressive life span for a socket by today's standards

Quote:
What's on eBay? Or scumtree if you're wanting to swap for a fish tank or a bong.
Old 8th December 2016, 10:38 AM   #34
Cannula

Odin and Dallas are the usual brands, there often is a picture of a clock on the chip and sometimes the letters RTC too. Once you post the pictures, one of us will point it out for you.
OCAU Diablo 3:Reaper Of Souls - Cannula#6861
| 486 | Pentium MMX 233 | Pentium Pro 200 | K6-2+ 550 | Celeron 300A | Pentium III 850 | Pentium III-S 1.4 | Dual Pentium III-S 1.4 | Pentium M 730 |
Hoarding; not a sickness, a way of life.
Cannula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 11:14 AM   #35
TaXy DriVar

Our 386 was an sx25. Initally with 640KB, 40MB HDD 1.44MB FDD and DOS 5.0

Later upgraded to 4MB RAM, second 40MB HDD and Sound Blaster Pro, Win 3.11 FWG ... and a Dynalink 14.4K Modem for glorious BBS systems.

Games: DOS and Windows 3.11

Win: Chips Challenge comes to mind
DOS: Too many to mention but some are: Lemmings, STUNTS, GODS, Mechwarrior 1, Gunboat, DOOM 1, Wolf3D, TMNT (Ultra Games), Zork, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, Prince of Persia, Gumboots Australia, Jones in the fastlane ....

Also ran XTGOLD, Brown Bag Power Menu (I have this if you need it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicthemouse View Post
The Family 386

First computer I ever used / we ever owned. "Grafika"? by DTK Computers? Dad brought it home with him one day, super exciting. Although I didn't really know what to do with it at first - it booted straight into Windows 3.1 and only had the pre-loaded applications on it, along with "Lotus Smart Suite". Couldn't make sense of the card games or Minesweeper or anything (I was 5) - messed around making scribbles in Paintbrush and pictures of trucks in "Lotus Freelance Graphics". About a week later my older cousins came to visit, bringing with them a treasure trove of 3.5" floppy disks, loaded with wondrous games that you had to use this magic "DOS" thing to play. Including some games that they'd never even played before because their PC back home couldn't run them.

Not sure if I spent more hours gaming on this than hours I spent at school

Think Commander Keen, Hocus Pocus, every other Apogee title, all kinds of shareware titles you could get from book shops / The Reject Shop etc at the time.

CPU: AMD 386 40?
Board: ?
RAM: 4mb iirc
HDD: 120mb
FDD: 3.5" 1.44mb, 5.25" 1.2mb HD
GPU: 256k VGA
Monitor: 14" VGA
Keyboard: DTK-branded mechanical, details to follow
Case/PSU: Generic beige AT box with AT PSU

Purchase Date: Must've been 1993, maybe 1994.
Purchased From: Dunno, will ask the old man
Original Purchase Price: Again will ask the old man - I imagine it was quite expensive.

Suggestions Needed:
- the CMOS battery is dead, and I feel like an idiot, but for the life of me I can't actually find the battery on the motherboard
- most of the 486 rigs I worked on had the 4-pin 2-wire connection off to the battery that would be velcro'd randomly inside the case, but this came before that.
- most of the other 386 boards I've seen had a funny kind of "wavy" cylindrical battery near the keyboard connector, usually well cooked by now. Not on this board. Pics to follow.
TaXy DriVar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 10:48 AM   #36
/invariance\

Quote:
Originally Posted by JidaiGeki View Post
.....There used to be decommissioned PS/2s, AS/400s and RS/6000s in underground storerooms.....
Wonder if weee ben still has this

Getting a bit far outside of your design brief though.
Transport would be another issue. Look at those beasts!
Smooth vintage MX blacks on a Wyse 85 courtesy of Soarer's Wyse Converter.
/invariance\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 10:52 AM   #37
shane41

That nob! Please don't mention him in here
Banned for defending all Retro against this guy

He disassembled & destroyed that machine for the " fools gold " it contained
Haha ...........might be a bit rude that picture.
shane41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 11:02 AM   #38
/invariance\

Yeah, not surprised at all.

Anyway, let's keep moving along with the Sonic's aggregation of historic computer systems for the furtherment of personal, wider communal and social benefit.
Smooth vintage MX blacks on a Wyse 85 courtesy of Soarer's Wyse Converter.
/invariance\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 11:32 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannula View Post
Odin and Dallas are the usual brands, there often is a picture of a clock on the chip and sometimes the letters RTC too. Once you post the pictures, one of us will point it out for you.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaXy DriVar View Post
Our 386 was an sx25. Initally with 640KB, 40MB HDD 1.44MB FDD and DOS 5.0

Later upgraded to 4MB RAM, second 40MB HDD and Sound Blaster Pro, Win 3.11 FWG ... and a Dynalink 14.4K Modem for glorious BBS systems.

Games: DOS and Windows 3.11

Win: Chips Challenge comes to mind
DOS: Too many to mention but some are: Lemmings, STUNTS, GODS, Mechwarrior 1, Gunboat, DOOM 1, Wolf3D, TMNT (Ultra Games), Zork, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, Prince of Persia, Gumboots Australia, Jones in the fastlane ....

Also ran XTGOLD, Brown Bag Power Menu (I have this if you need it)
Orly? Didn't realise 386 boards ran 640k... I thought they all ran SIMM memory in 256k or 1mb sticks...

Must've been quite a range of 386 systems produced then... also 40mb HDD seems small considering mine had a 120 and the 486 (haven't got to that in the list yet) had a ~850mb. I assumed XTs ran 5mb ~ 20mb (if any drive), 286 ~40mb, 386 ~100mb, 486 500mb+...

What was everyone else running in their 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane41 View Post
That nob! Please don't mention him in here
Banned for defending all Retro against this guy

He disassembled & destroyed that machine for the " fools gold " it contained
Yeah I don't want to send this thread into a downward spiral.

On one hand, that is his job. That's how he pays his bills. Can't blame a man for doing his job.

On the other hand...
1) it's retro IBM so already collectable
2) RISC!!!!!!!
3) FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Even if he'd sold it as-is that would've been better than destroying it

I would've loved to have that as part of this "collection" but I do kinda need to stay "on track" - this catalogue of what is basically my personal collection + a few choice purchases could easily degrade into:

pay comes in -> all night on eBay -> sealed 1st run hardware / custom stuff hand built by Jobs/Woz (already have the Apple IIGS "Woz" edition that apparently "you won't find anywhere") -> all pay gone + enourmous debts -> missus leaves -> kids leave -> me sitting in a tin shed surrounded by rare hardware, forever alone

So let's not tempt me with too many RISC machines or other expensive collectables, especially not any that also take up a lot of physical space.

Side note - it's lucky actually that I've grown up a bit - in my teens and early 20's I was collecting video games - I have most consoles 8 bit to PS3, just missing the 3DO and the Jaguar, all the AAA titles for each of them (20~50 games per system), every? Sonic title, most Mario titles, Jap launch night N64, Aus launch night Wii and PS3, Twin Famicom + SMB2 disk, all the first party accessories for all my consoles, ~16 handhelds (again with all the AAA titles for each) and 2 arcade cabs.

One time someone dissed it because I actually play all of them and none of them are still sealed

If I was doing this back in those impulsive days, with no kids & no mortgage... eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by /invariance\ View Post
Yeah, not surprised at all.

Anyway, let's keep moving along with the Sonic's aggregation of historic computer systems for the furtherment of personal, wider communal and social benefit.
Yeah I was wondering about that actually - one day (maybe years down the track) I'd love to have some way to display them and for people to be able to use them.

At my joint there's nowhere where I can have more than one or two set up at a time, and there are young kids running around who could easily damage them.

I don't want to donate them to a museum, I'd rather they were all still "mine", but it would be totally awesome if I could rent a shopfront and run like a mini-museum once I retire (at the rate the government is going, that'll be like ~77 yrs old for people my age), or if there was like a "retro computer shop" that could loan them and have them on display... it does seem a bit of a shame to have them all just in storage... suggestions welcome?

Quote:
Old 9th December 2016, 11:43 AM   #40
shane41

I'd be worried about theft / loss / damage / catastrophic events / flood & fire.
Some of the guys here know effort I've put in collecting.

You can only do it once. They are too expensive to buy these parts again.
So yes as a History of Computers idea hang onto them & run /cycle these machine. That museum will be possible one day.

462 for life........show me
Haha ...........might be a bit rude that picture.
shane41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 2:24 PM   #41
Flamin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicthemouse View Post
Orly? Didn't realise 386 boards ran 640k... I thought they all ran SIMM memory in 256k or 1mb sticks...

Must've been quite a range of 386 systems produced then... also 40mb HDD seems small considering mine had a 120 and the 486 (haven't got to that in the list yet) had a ~850mb. I assumed XTs ran 5mb ~ 20mb (if any drive), 286 ~40mb, 386 ~100mb, 486 500mb+...
There's no hard and fast rule as to what size HDD's (or RAM for that matter) were used since a lot of these CPU's were still being produced in systems for a good 10 years. 8088 - Early 80's to late 80's, 286 - early 80's to early 90's, 386 - Mid 80's to early 90's, 486 - late 80's to mid 90's. So it's not surprising to find early variants of these systems having minimal HDD/RAM capacity or even using older technology, for example RLL/MFM drives in early 386's and IDE in later models.

It's nothing like today where you are pratically changing CPU sockets as often as you change your underwear.

PC Big Box Game Collecting
My Collection
Flamin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 8:47 AM   #42
Groff

My XT back in the mid-late 80's had a hardcard in it.
Slot in ISA card that was 10MB from memory.

Bit like today's PCIe SSD. My how times have changed and yet some things are still similar.
Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 9:32 AM   #43
elvis
Old school old fool

If you want to test out DOS games in a browser before you go to the effort of buying/installing them:

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games
Old 13th December 2016, 11:56 AM   #44
Flamin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groff View Post
My XT back in the mid-late 80's had a hardcard in it.
Slot in ISA card that was 10MB from memory.

Bit like today's PCIe SSD. My how times have changed and yet some things are still similar.
I've got one of those hardcard's except it's a later model so not XT compatible unfortunately. Hardcard II Plus if I recall correctly, 16 bit ISA and can't be used as a boot drive as it requires a device driver. It was more designed to be an extra hard drive for systems which didn't have space for another drive inside the case.

Pretty nifty, VERY long card and the drive is suprisingly slim (which it has to be) for that era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
If you want to test out DOS games in a browser before you go to the effort of buying/installing them:

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games
Buying? Once a pirate, always a pirate.

PC Big Box Game Collecting
My Collection
Flamin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 12:00 PM   #45
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Buying? Once a pirate, always a pirate.
I'm at a point in my life where I'm trying to undo my past naughtiness.

I quite like buying old games. Right now, the effort in getting old games working is more around licensing than anything else. I hate the idea that some software is lost to time, and if I spend a few bucks on an old game (even if I never play it again, but did in the past), I at least know I'm sending a message to current license holders and publishers that it's worth their time to dig up these old games and make the effort to keep them in circulation.

I've "unpirated" a number of games in the last few years. And again, some I've never played since buying them, but I'm at least a little happier knowing that I've paid for them at some point, even if it wasn't the full retail price back when it was released.

And as I've said before too, just because games are old, doesn't make them bad or unplayable. There's a whole generation of kids now who've never played these, and can find just as much joy playing them for the first time today as we did when we were kids.