Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 18th March 2017, 10:58 AM   #571
headin2001 Thread Starter
Member
 
headin2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 2,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyBastd View Post
I've found that 5hgz/1.3vcore/LLC5 is fine for passing 15 minute tests of Prime95/AIDA64/XTU.
But some games crashed within minutes. Clearly it's not stable. And then I tried RealBench. OMG, it finds a blue screen alright.

After some experimentation with upping the vcore to 1.34 in bios, I noticed in hwmonitor it never showed that being used. It showed 1.328v. It helped a bit but the blue screens continued...

I then tried LLC6, and instantly hwmonitor shows vcore at 1.344v. Realbench passed!
Gradually lowering vcore, I find 1.32 in bios still passes. 1.31 does not.
Note that in hwmonitor, the vcore shows as 1.312v whether I've set 1.31 or 1.32 in the bios. But only 1.32 in bios is stable. Weird?

The kicker is:
LLC5, 1.34 in bios = 1.328 in hwmonitor. FAILS tests.
LLC6, 1.32 in bios = 1.312 in hwmonitor. PASSES tests. (About 3-4 degrees warmer, cores max at 71-74C)

Question is: is this approach best? It seems LLC is more important than vcore?!? Should I have stayed at LLC5 and kept upping vcore in bios, hoping it would eventually draw what it needs?

Thanks for putting up with my nub overclocking attempts!
Quick response is every CPU will react different.

I'm testing an Apex board at the moment, so I'll give it a go myself too.
What I found on the Formula board, like previous generation boards, is LLC5 will give close to no vdroop, but LLC6 was giving a slight overvolt. CPUz (the current version) gives the closest to real voltage in software, I tested with a multimeter.

With my M8 series boards, I always opted for LLC5, as a bit of droop is better than a constant overvolt. I have no technical reason for it other than it's my preference to set a max and it be the max. So MIXF and MIXA I will likely do the same.

So it's up to you which way you go. You may need 0.02v-0.03v more on LLC5, but it is going to end up around the same voltage under load. If it helps temps a degree or 2, it's a bonus.

BTW, I also believe auto LLC on the Asus boards is setting 5. I'll check that too.
headin2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 18th March 2017, 11:47 AM   #572
nCrypt
Member
 
nCrypt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headin2001 View Post
Quick response is every CPU will react different.

I'm testing an Apex board at the moment, so I'll give it a go myself too.
What I found on the Formula board, like previous generation boards, is LLC5 will give close to no vdroop, but LLC6 was giving a slight overvolt. CPUz (the current version) gives the closest to real voltage in software, I tested with a multimeter.

With my M8 series boards, I always opted for LLC5, as a bit of droop is better than a constant overvolt. I have no technical reason for it other than it's my preference to set a max and it be the max. So MIXF and MIXA I will likely do the same.

So it's up to you which way you go. You may need 0.02v-0.03v more on LLC5, but it is going to end up around the same voltage under load. If it helps temps a degree or 2, it's a bonus.

BTW, I also believe auto LLC on the Asus boards is setting 5. I'll check that too.
i gave up on KabyLake, pretty much due to not being able to sell my 5960x gear.

The strix matx seemed ok, but pretty much no difference to the $150 cheaper gigabyte z270m-d3h in overclocking.

(the fact my 5960x does 5Ghz @ 1.4V, and thats the volts i needed with my 7700K for 5ghz pass in XTU, made me go back to X99 (Again for the 4th time lol)
__________________
1.5960X@4.8Ghz 1.35V WC X99 ROG R5 E10 32GB TridentZ 3200C14 GTX1080 Ti SLI WC CaseLabs S8
2.7700K@5Ghz 1.30V WC Z270 ROG APEX 16GB TridentZ 3200C14 GTX1080 STRIX OC WC Phanteks Luxe Tempered
3.7600K@5Ghz 1.31V H115i Z270 ROG STRIX 16GB TridentZ 3200C14 HD630 Caselabs S8
nCrypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 12:31 PM   #573
glnn_23
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 307
Default

After a bit more tweaking have managed to run Realbench @ 5.2Ghz for a couple of hours this morning with memory 4133 C16.

After this run am now using the Adaptive core voltage with the Win10 power balance and it's pretty cool to have clocks and volts drop back down to stock idle when not pushed

Pretty impressed with the Apex board. Particularly with memory.

glnn_23 - 7700k - L639F976 - 1.2v - Asus Max IX Apex - G.Skill TridentZ 4133C16 - 5200/4500 - 1.395v bios


Click to view full size!
glnn_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 12:40 PM   #574
aquaius
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glnn_23 View Post
After a bit more tweaking have managed to run Realbench @ 5.2Ghz for a couple of hours this morning with memory 4133 C16.

After this run am now using the Adaptive core voltage with the Win10 power balance and it's pretty cool to have clocks and volts drop back down to stock idle when not pushed

Pretty impressed with the Apex board. Particularly with memory.

glnn_23 - 7700k - L639F976 - 1.2v - Asus Max IX Apex - G.Skill TridentZ 4133C16 - 5200/4500 - 1.395v bios

pix

jesus that's impressive, is that 7700k in a custom loop and delidded?
aquaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 12:49 PM   #575
glnn_23
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaius View Post
jesus that's impressive, is that 7700k in a custom loop and delidded?
Yes delid with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal under the IHS and Phobya Nano Grease on top. Cooling is 2 x 360 rads, 2 x d5 and EK Supremacy Evo. I think ambient was around 14C.
glnn_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 1:17 PM   #576
SneakyBastd
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headin2001 View Post
So it's up to you which way you go. You may need 0.02v-0.03v more on LLC5, but it is going to end up around the same voltage under load. If it helps temps a degree or 2, it's a bonus.
Thanks
I'll leave it as is and de-lid during the week. Then see what happens as I try 5.1.
__________________
Sales to: noremac12321 FireWire1394
MadHatter
SneakyBastd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 1:29 PM   #577
aquaius
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glnn_23 View Post
Yes delid with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal under the IHS and Phobya Nano Grease on top. Cooling is 2 x 360 rads, 2 x d5 and EK Supremacy Evo. I think ambient was around 14C.
sick build man, hope you enjoy it.
aquaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 3:34 PM   #578
headin2001 Thread Starter
Member
 
headin2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 2,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glnn_23 View Post
Yes delid with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal under the IHS and Phobya Nano Grease on top. Cooling is 2 x 360 rads, 2 x d5 and EK Supremacy Evo. I think ambient was around 14C.
That ambient will help for sure. At 30deg you might not be as lucky lol

But well done. I just sold a similar CPU to that, waiting on the new one to come from OS.

Apex is an amazing board for sure.
headin2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 10:01 AM   #579
SneakyBastd
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glnn_23 View Post
Cooling is 2 x 360 rads, 2 x d5 and EK Supremacy Evo. I think ambient was around 14C.
I'm more jealous of the 14C ambient than anything else lol!
__________________
Sales to: noremac12321 FireWire1394
MadHatter
SneakyBastd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 11:23 AM   #580
headin2001 Thread Starter
Member
 
headin2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 2,949
Default

Anyone in here killed a CPU when delidding. I am chasing an IHS from a Skylake or Kaby.
headin2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 4:09 PM   #581
AstinGC90
Member
 
AstinGC90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: FNQ
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headin2001 View Post
Anyone in here killed a CPU when delidding. I am chasing an IHS from a Skylake or Kaby.
Might be worth buying a Kaby G4560 for $75.00 and trying a direct die cool for a laugh with added bonus of the lid you need
Better yet a cheap K i3 haha
__________________
I7-7700K Delided 5.2/4.8 1.42v daily OC, EKWC Hard Tube, 360mm rad x2 UV Blue, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3.2Ghz, Aorus Z270X-G5, SamEVO500GB, 8TB, FractalDefineS, CorsairAX1200, 2 x Gigabyte GTX 1080ti EKWB 2050/12000 SLi. AsusPG279Q 165Hz, LogiG510S, LogiG502Proteus, LogiZ906, ATHM50X. Rig Pic
AstinGC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 8:10 PM   #582
straiton
Member
 
straiton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 346
Default

Tom's has done a Conductonaut 7700k test
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...test,4970.html
__________________
MSI Z87 G45, delid 4770K
DIY Watercool
straiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 3:21 PM   #583
mr_mordred2095
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by straiton View Post
Tom's has done a Conductonaut 7700k test
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...test,4970.html
Oh look, Kryonaut is average-at-best for air/water. The people who bought it wouldn't listen to me when I told them, though -_-

Last edited by mr_mordred2095; 22nd March 2017 at 3:33 PM.
mr_mordred2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 8:50 PM   #584
coolroy
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 2,024
Default

Yes but its non conductive which some people require & it still performs much better than a raft of non conductive pastes!
__________________
I7 7700K @ 5.2Ghz @ 1.380v 32Gb 3600mhz Gskill rgb Asus Maximus IX formula, 2 GTX1080 ek x in sli water cooled D5 vario pump & 480mm +360mm+240mm radiators, qty 9 rad fans & qty 3 case fans.
Philips 40" 4K monitor. Corsair psu AX1200I in Corsair 900D case K95 RGB keyboard,Razer Chroma Mamba wireless mouse
coolroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 10:34 PM   #585
LukeD_NC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 41
Default

so here's some food for thought about overclocking:

LukeD_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 1:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!