OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 21st April 2017, 11:45 AM   #5911
phreeky82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew kane View Post
Have you tried bowl pads on your MS-1's?
Nah the MS-1s died

The cable was falling apart and I went to replace it. I must have applied heat for a little too long and burnt the voice coil on one channel unfortunately. I was pretty pissed about it however then I realised they'd lasted almost 7 years, had some other minor issues too, so just binned them and moved on.

I realise it sounds a bit contradictory (given they lasted 7 years) however I wasn't particularly impressed with their build quality.

Criticisms aside I also don't regret buying them. I'd be curious to know which Grados sound the closest to them, as I'd still consider another pair one day.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st April 2017, 3:11 PM   #5912
Matthew kane

The Grado RS-1's or MS Pros have some similarities to the MS-1's sound signature but every sound aspect on a different level. But again you're paying more. The HP-500 may also be up your alley if you liked the MS-1's.
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | 2 x Leadtek GTX680 4GB | PNY GTX465 unlocked to 470 (Physx) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter
Matthew kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 6:47 PM   #5913
phreeky82

Well picking up 2 new sets of headphones within 24hr of each other is an interesting experience. My DT990-250s arrived today and I've had a short listen.

The low frequencies are certainly a bit more sensible - maybe a little too much, but nowhere near as much as the M40x. It's also very obvious that they're open, it's a completely different sound (I needed both closed and open for different uses). The only negative so far is the treble, it can get a little harsh up high, however I haven't used them long enough yet to determine whether it will become fatiguing. Build quality is really nice.

The main surprise was that they actually sounded pretty good straight out of the Galaxy S5 and go loud enough for easy listening (just).

2 purchases I'm fairly happy with, giving me some new headphones for both work and home.
Old 21st April 2017, 6:58 PM   #5914
OJR

The 990s benefit from a little burn in. Tames the highs.
OJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 7:11 PM   #5915
Matthew kane

There's a bit of sibilance with the treble region nearing the high end frequency on the 770, 880 and 990 models regardless of the impedance models, it's just the way the drivers are tuned and installed in the housing.

Unfortunately you can't fix this without some modification/pad changes, EQ or heavy amplification (which will change the entire sound altogether in most cases).
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | 2 x Leadtek GTX680 4GB | PNY GTX465 unlocked to 470 (Physx) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter
Matthew kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 7:21 PM   #5916
phreeky82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew kane View Post
There's a bit of sibilance with the treble region nearing the high end frequency on the 770, 880 and 990 models regardless of the impedance models, it's just the way the drivers are tuned and installed in the housing.

Unfortunately you can't fix this without some modification/pad changes, EQ or heavy amplification (which will change the entire sound altogether in most cases).
Yeah I figured some treble reduction is probably one of the easier changes with some different foam or something under the pads. It's probably a fine balance with some trial and error and to not go too far.