Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Game Consoles > Nintendo Consoles

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 23rd May 2017, 10:00 PM   #61
samos

I have a love hate relationship with Nintendo, ever since the N64 they have been on a steady decline. The N64 was stellar. Absolutely stellar.

The GC not so much, but was respectable. Wii picked things up from an innovation standpoint and some good games which eventually dried up and withered out. Wii U was even worse. They had some much potential and yet have really let things slip.

Maybe they don't give a shit. Maybe they're content with their hand helds, which I don't really give 2 shits about. I want to enjoy my games on a screen.

I did play BOTW on the hand held, it's a neat idea, good clarity and all, but you really need to play with a normal controller and TV, especially with big hands!

My brother finished BOTW last night and here is our conundrum.

Nintendo PISS us off. We're sitting here twiddling our thumbs after completing Zelda waiting for some new games.

However, we both agreed, Zelda packs so much punch, the system itself was easily worth the $400 paid for it, for that game alone. That might come as a shock to many, but put it this way. I've got a PS4 with about 10 games. All of them titles in the 8 or 9 out of ten range. Their gameplay in terms of hrs/game is basically the equivalent I got out of Zelda.

Not to mention, BOTW could possibly be the best game I have played. It is definitely up there. Apart from the way you can easily become overpowered in the game, with a flaccid easy ending, the game itself is a masterpiece, and if Nintendo continue to release zelda's of that calibre, I could honestly say I would buy a Nintendo console if that was the ONLY game they were ever going to release on it.
samos is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 25th May 2017, 11:12 AM   #62
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by samos View Post
I have a love hate relationship with Nintendo, ever since the N64 they have been on a steady decline. The N64 was stellar. Absolutely stellar.
I love my retro stuff, but objectively the N64 made a lot of mistakes.

It suffered very low RAM, and even the expansion didn't help. They did mandatory horizontal filtering off the graphics chip which made the visuals muddy. And of course not adopting optical storage meant that games were expensive, and they lost critical third parties like Square who needed the storage Playstation could offer.

Plenty of pros, yes. But far from perfect.
Old 25th May 2017, 11:47 AM   #63
Dilbery

Quote:
Nostalgia is a hell of a thing....
PC: i5 6500 / ASRock H170M Pro4 / Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 / EVGA GTX1070FE / 1x256gb Samsung 850 M.2 SSD 1x250gb Crucial MX200 SSD 1xSamsung 1tb HDD/ Silverstone TJ08-E / 850w Silverstone Strider+ PSU /
Dilbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 1:16 AM   #64
samos

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
I love my retro stuff, but objectively the N64 made a lot of mistakes.

It suffered very low RAM, and even the expansion didn't help. They did mandatory horizontal filtering off the graphics chip which made the visuals muddy. And of course not adopting optical storage meant that games were expensive, and they lost critical third parties like Square who needed the storage Playstation could offer.

Plenty of pros, yes. But far from perfect.
Oh, i don't disagree. I am talking purely from a gaming POV. They had some great release titles, with a relatively steady stream of games.

Zelda's, Mario's, Mario Karts, Perfect Dark, Banjo, Goldeneye... my sweet, sweet Goldeneye.. etc etc

Gamecube wasn't bad either, but nothing on the level of 64. The Wii was a cool console, but suffered again the lack-of-games issue. Wii U has been the worst and I am concerned about the Switch. I jumped into EB and there is absolutely fuck all in the way of games.

Very annoying Nintendo, very annoying.

I mean if we're talking fav consoles I'd have to say the SNES and N64 would be my favourite, nostalgia aside.

I am going to sit on the switch, and I forgive them as BOTW was absolutely exceptional and I can't wait for the DLC. I feel after the new Mario comes out and I am done with that, what else?
Old 28th May 2017, 12:03 PM   #65
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
They had some great release titles, with a relatively steady stream of games.
"Great titles"? Absolutely. "Steady stream"? Sadly, no.

The N64 was mired by the exodus of third parties to Playstation. Retronauts did a great job of covering it in the N64 episode, where folks remembered getting one great game, playing it to death for a month, then having their N64 sit idle for 6 months while their Playstations got 3-4 great games every month (and another 10 crappy ones), and players got a huge amount of choice on where to spend their money on their monthly purchases.

Nintendo are an amazing first party. Their ability to craft amazing games out of low end hardware, IMHO, is second to none. But good quality third party support has been a real issue since the SNES. The Wii as well as their handhelds have all had an enormous amount of third party shovel-ware, but that's not enough.

Nintendo spent a lot of time, money and effort courting good quality third parties for the Switch. I genuinely hope they can turn it around. But right now we've got a handful of first party items, a few virtual console games (missing the VC branding, which is interesting in itself), and we're waiting on everything else to land either at the end of the year or next year.
Old 28th May 2017, 7:16 PM   #66
samos

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
"Great titles"? Absolutely. "Steady stream"? Sadly, no.

The N64 was mired by the exodus of third parties to Playstation. Retronauts did a great job of covering it in the N64 episode, where folks remembered getting one great game, playing it to death for a month, then having their N64 sit idle for 6 months while their Playstations got 3-4 great games every month (and another 10 crappy ones), and players got a huge amount of choice on where to spend their money on their monthly purchases.

Nintendo are an amazing first party. Their ability to craft amazing games out of low end hardware, IMHO, is second to none. But good quality third party support has been a real issue since the SNES. The Wii as well as their handhelds have all had an enormous amount of third party shovel-ware, but that's not enough.

Nintendo spent a lot of time, money and effort courting good quality third parties for the Switch. I genuinely hope they can turn it around. But right now we've got a handful of first party items, a few virtual console games (missing the VC branding, which is interesting in itself), and we're waiting on everything else to land either at the end of the year or next year.
Perhaps my memory is flailing, but I can't remember now if I purchased an N64 at launch. I believe I waited 6-12 months, and hence probably why I felt I had a constant stream of games to play. I never have felt satiated since. Rareware were probably my favorite of the third party devs.

Anyway let's hope for the best. I think it's poor form to purchase a console in March of 2017 and have to wait until the end of the year for another decent game. IMO a console release should arrive with at least 4 stellar games, whether they are first party or third party.

In any case I just swapped my PS4 for a PS4 pro, so i'll have dirt 4, the new middle earth to tide me over
Old 30th May 2017, 4:35 PM   #67
Namheul

Quote:
Absolutely agree with this. 64 was the most fun console i have ever owned. Rareware were amazing back then - every game they released was brilliant (didn't play Killer Instinct or Mickey Speedway games though).
Namheul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 10:58 PM   #68
Hater

I didn't buy an N64, simply because it was much harder to pirate cartridges than CD's.

I wonder if other people felt the same way... Sure, a pirated game is missed revenue, but I definitely owned many legit titles too, and that was all money that went to Sony over Nintendo...

Not to mention the first PS1 I messed up trying to solder the modchip into (as a 7 year old)
Hater is offline   Reply With Quote