Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Apple Desktop Hardware/Software

Notices

Old 1st November 2016, 11:44 AM   #151
miicah

From Anandtech:

Quote:
Diving into features then, a lot of what’s going to be rolling out as part of macOS Sierra is going to be centered around convergence and/or interoperability with iOS. Though still distinct OSes, Apple has been slowly bringing over more and more iOS functionality to macOS over the years either for feature parity or interacting with iDevices, and macOS Sierra follows this trend.
While it may never be exactly the same, as the years roll on you will find more and more that macOS is really just a blown up version of iOS.

Watch this video. Function keys are important because they are physically defined in a logical layout. I can press F4 (and know I'm pressing it) without having to take my eyes off the monitor. With an OLED display I can know the rough area that "F4" will be in, but can never be sure I've actually hit it without glancing down.

CS:GO Videos | Motorcycle Videos

Last edited by miicah; 1st November 2016 at 11:48 AM.
miicah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 11:46 AM   #152
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by miicah View Post
From Anandtech:

While it may never be exactly the same, as the years roll on you will find more and more that macOS is really just a blown up version of iOS.
I don't see any issues letting iOS and MacOS talk to each other - as long as the things that make MacOS good don't get diluted.
Old 1st November 2016, 11:46 AM   #153
Tommo_Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles666 View Post
The removal of the headphone jack on the iPhone is because it didn't fit. There is space on the iPad and Macs so it stays on them.
I'm a bit late on quoting (only started reading the thread today) but my OnePlus 3 has the same size screen, a larger battery, twice the memory, USB Type-C and dimensions:

iPhone 7 - OnePlus 3
H: 158.2mm vs 152.7mm
W: 77.9mm vs 74.7mm
D: 7.3mm vs 7.35mm

i.e. The only dimension the iPhone beats is depth by 0.05mm, and yet the OnePlus 3 has a 3.5mm jack. You're saying Apple are able to create a lower specced phone in a larger (by 6 cm2) form factor and still not fit a 3.5mm jack?
Server #1: ASUS KGPE-D16, 2x Opteron 6276, 208GB RAM Server #2: 2x Xeon L5639, 192GB RAM Server #3: Dell T410, 2x Xeon X5650, 128GB RAM My PC: i5 3570K @ 4.4ghz, 8GB RAM Mining stuff: Too much
Tommo_Aus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 11:49 AM   #154
miicah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo_Aus View Post
I'm a bit late on quoting (only started reading the thread today) but my OnePlus 3 has the same size screen, a larger battery, twice the memory, USB Type-C and dimensions:

iPhone 7 - OnePlus 3
H: 158.2mm vs 152.7mm
W: 77.9mm vs 74.7mm
D: 7.3mm vs 7.35mm

i.e. The only dimension the iPhone beats is depth by 0.05mm, and yet the OnePlus 3 has a 3.5mm jack. You're saying Apple are able to create a lower specced phone in a larger (by 6 cm2) form factor and still not fit a 3.5mm jack?
Apples logic is that the area taken up by the jack was needed for the Haptic feedback engine (or touchID, can't remember).

Old 1st November 2016, 11:56 AM   #155
Tommo_Aus

Quote:
Apples logic is that the area taken up by the jack was needed for the Haptic feedback engine (or touchID, can't remember).
... but isn't that simply a fingerprint scanner? I have that on my phone as well...
Server #1: ASUS KGPE-D16, 2x Opteron 6276, 208GB RAM Server #2: 2x Xeon L5639, 192GB RAM Server #3: Dell T410, 2x Xeon X5650, 128GB RAM My PC: i5 3570K @ 4.4ghz, 8GB RAM Mining stuff: Too much
Old 1st November 2016, 12:03 PM   #156
miicah

Quote:
... but isn't that simply a fingerprint scanner? I have that on my phone as well...
Quote:
On that note, the Chipworks and iFixit teardowns also show us what’s gone in the place of the now-absent headphone jack: Apple has placed a taptic engine (linear actuator) for the solid state home button, and an unusual plastic bumper.

Taken at face value, yeah it was probably much easier to remove the 3.5 jack to put the Taptic engine there. But there would also be room elsewhere that may require a redesign (which costs money, instead of making money on 3.5->lighting adapters).

Old 1st November 2016, 12:10 PM   #157
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Are you being deliberately obtuse?
As much as you're being deliberately myopic in your fanaticism towards something so unimportant?

I can happily accept people don't like the things I like all the time. You seem to be having a real hard time of it in this thread. It's like someone insulted your mother every time you hear somebody say "I don't like the touch bar idea".

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokman View Post
You mean 30yr old computer features that are forbidden to touch ever because you said so?
This guy too.

All good fellas, enjoy this product all you like. I don't, and I won't be buying it.

This is not an objective argument at all. You can't convince me to like this thing through sheer passion alone. It doesn't fulfil any of my needs, and is overpriced compared to alternatives that do specific to my requirements.

By all means, call me "obtuse", or "crazy" or any other insult you like. You simply cannot change my mind on this. And if my personal preference of material items offends you, or my list of business requirements too, I feel you have bigger problems to deal with than pure technological issues.

Last edited by elvis; 1st November 2016 at 12:34 PM.
elvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 12:34 PM   #158
Tommo_Aus

Quote:
Taken at face value, yeah it was probably much easier to remove the 3.5 jack to put the Taptic engine there. But there would also be room elsewhere that may require a redesign (which costs money, instead of making money on 3.5->lighting adapters).
Yep, my general thinking as well.

Any whose on the topic of the new MacBook Pro, nothing of interest for me but hopefully it brings down the prices a bit on second hand retina models (I have a mid 2010 15").

Quote:
Looking around, the Macs are pretty reaonsble.

Similar level/quality laptops (eg. Razor, HP Spectre, Surface Book) are in the same price bracket.
Is it possible the prices of these laptops is influenced by the price of a MacBook Pro? Apple charge an exorbitant amount for a laptop so why shouldn't we?
Old 1st November 2016, 12:42 PM   #159
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Is it possible the prices of these laptops is influenced by the price of a MacBook Pro? Apple charge an exorbitant amount for a laptop so why shouldn't we?
This is precisely the case.

While performance changed rapidly model to model in the 90s and 00s, prices stayed high naturally due to the rate of change (it wasn't unusual to see clockspeeds double in a 3-5 year period). In recent years, performance hasn't jumped anywhere near as enormously, and there's been somewhat of a "race to the bottom" for many manufacturers.

Manufacturers don't like that so much (can't blame them, it's entirely unsustainable long term), so there's been a notable attempt to drive a performance enthusiast market.

Interestingly enough when Microsoft announced they were getting into hardware via the Surface range, it ruffled a lot of OEM feathers, as that was never previously Microsoft's MO, and it was deemed a unfair advantage for them to sell something first party they also shipped through third parties. So far they seem to have dealt with it well enough, and are certainly nibbling at Apple's heels.

Their recent "Surface Studio" product, for example, fills a gaping hole where the iMac is now failing (the same theme there as the rest of this thread, with Apple not quite hitting the mark with creatives any more like they once did).

No surprises really. The market abhors a vacuum, and Apple don't get to make all the money forever in the "premium" space (just like Microsoft before them, and IBM before then, ad infinitum).
Old 1st November 2016, 1:27 PM   #160
damo13579

Quote:
You do realise you can reset the OSX user accounts with the recovery menu right?
not if filevault is enabled.
Old 1st November 2016, 1:50 PM   #161
antipody

Quote:
I really do find the hate for these new laptops baffling.

Look at the 15", cause that is what I buy:
It's faster.
Has a much better GPU.
Has a better screen.
Is smaller and lighter.
Has 4 insanely fast multi-purpose ports. Which actually gives you more options that the old layout.
Now has 5K external monitor support (having to use 2 cables is not support).
Has a better keyboard.
Has the Touch Bar (which may be a gimmick, but you aren't losing anything having it.)
Has TouchID.

That is a pretty compelling list of upgrades. If this isn't what people wanted, what exactly did you want in a new MacBook?
These are portable machines yet don't have a SIM port and onboard LTE modem! What gives?

Apple exclude this incredibly useful functionality from macbook pros in order to protect potential iPhone sales.

Fuck them

Quote:
Yes except Apple will actually do it right and have proper backing by developers like Adobe to integrate it. Touch ID is a big thing for security, hopefully this is the start of iOS level encryption on desktops not to mention online purchases without having to enter any credit card information.
My 2008 laptop has a fingerprint scanner, and a SIM port!
antipody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 1:54 PM   #162
power

Just saw this posted elsewhere, hmmmmm

Old 1st November 2016, 2:00 PM   #163
thecondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post

movie
This video just makes me want the Microsoft desktop even more. Haha
thecondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 2:01 PM   #164
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:

movie
Someone's got a security leak.

Maybe they should have used super secure Apple touch ID to protect their marketing concepts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecondor View Post
We've already had a number of artists ask us to try one out. Seems to be really popular with a large group of them disgruntled with the iMac.

Last edited by elvis; 1st November 2016 at 3:05 PM.
Old 1st November 2016, 2:59 PM   #165
aokman

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipody View Post
These are portable machines yet don't have a SIM port and onboard LTE modem! What gives?

Apple exclude this incredibly useful functionality from macbook pros in order to protect potential iPhone sales.

Fuck them

My 2008 laptop has a fingerprint scanner, and a SIM port!
Did you know I can hack your fingerprint scanner with a simple photocopy of your fingerprint?... are you seriously suggesting people have to buy iPhones because the Macbook doesn't have a SIM card slot.

Jesus people need to get a life. Go and bitch about the sun being too hot or yell at some clouds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecondor View Post
Good, go and get one and get out of the thread since you aren't interested in the Macbook anyway.

Quote:
don't tell Apple.

I think you have confused the difference between an iPad and a Macbook.

#neverstopchasing - weatheradventures.net

Last edited by aokman; 1st November 2016 at 3:05 PM.
aokman is offline   Reply With Quote