Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Apple Desktop Hardware/Software

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 28th October 2016, 10:30 AM   #16
lombot

Dropbox is just to limited for anything other than simple file shares. When moving large files (media or vmware images) portable drives are the fastest way. As someone else noted until USB-C is more widely available and cost effective the number of additional dongles I would have to carry to support the dongles that I already carry etc. just makes this a no for me right now.
lombot is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 28th October 2016, 10:56 AM   #17
aokman

Quote:
Originally Posted by miicah View Post
Dual core for $2100 lmao holy shit I'm dying. Only two ports, suprised they didn't remove the headphone jack

EDIT: Well they did remove something, the escape key LOL
Did you ever consider that OSX is optimised for dual cores? This is not a Windows laptop and specs are irrelevant compared to one. OSX works very differently. It still has ESC in the bar btw.

I like it, price is steep but I think its a much better idea than shitty touchscreen laptops and putting fingerprints all over the screen. Wish they kept magsafe but saying that, the newer thinner version was a pain in the ass and kept getting knocked out.

USB-C is the future and maybe this will get people to hurry up and adopt it. Sick of seeing laptops with 3 different types of USB ports, its utterly stupid.

#neverstopchasing - weatheradventures.net

Last edited by aokman; 28th October 2016 at 10:59 AM.
aokman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 11:07 AM   #18
power

That bar is the dumbest thing they could have added, oh well see if it takes off for them.

Not like we haven't seen similar limited use bar things up there before (media keys and quick settings bars I'm looking at you) for almost as long as laptops have existed.
Old 28th October 2016, 11:08 AM   #19
Arctic_Silver08

No way, I reckon the bar is awesome. Seeing as it adds different functionality depending on the App you have open, it'll make flipping through controls super easy.
Old 28th October 2016, 11:10 AM   #20
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Silver08 View Post
No way, I reckon the bar is awesome. Seeing as it adds different functionality depending on the App you have open, it'll make flipping through controls super easy.
I predict 99% of people won't use it and almost as many devs won't bother using it in their applications.

It's the Fn key - but fancy!
Old 28th October 2016, 11:13 AM   #21
Arctic_Silver08

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
I predict 99% of people won't use it and almost as many devs won't bother using it in their applications.

Apple aren't about functionality though are they :P They're about fancy re marketed tech.

TBH I probably wouldn't use it either, but I'd rather have this fancy display over a boring FN key
Old 28th October 2016, 11:17 AM   #22
power

Quote:
Apple aren't about functionality though are they :P They're about fancy re marketed tech.

TBH I probably wouldn't use it either, but I'd rather have this fancy display over a boring FN key
it reminds me of the pull up drawer on the iPhone - most iOS users find it completely by accident - when they do find it they just mash it to make it go away and then wonder why flight mode, disable auto-rotate or DND are suddenly enabled.

Great in theory - users however, well they still turn their phones to vibrate and wonder how this is possible my volume is all the way up! Um, the little switch on the side that's been on every device that turns on vibrate?

I think it's a dumb feature that only a small percentage of users will find at all useful.
Old 28th October 2016, 11:22 AM   #23
Arctic_Silver08

Quote:
it reminds me of the pull up drawer on the iPhone - most iOS users find it completely by accident - when they do find it they just mash it to make it go away and then wonder why flight mode, disable auto-rotate or DND are suddenly enabled.

Great in theory - users however, well they still turn their phones to vibrate and wonder how this is possible my volume is all the way up! Um, the little switch on the side that's been on every device that turns on vibrate?

I think it's a dumb feature that only a small percentage of users will find at all useful.
haha fair enough.

I use the Vibrate switch + Pull up drawer daily, I love it.
Old 28th October 2016, 11:27 AM   #24
power

Quote:
haha fair enough.

As someone that babysits iOS users, you sir are in a minority
Old 28th October 2016, 11:36 AM   #25
Alfonzo

Quote:
haha fair enough.

Minority users unite!

I don't see the appeal of the touch bar. Programs Apps are going to have custom features coded into them to accommodate this feature. And from the demos I've seen on YouTube this morning, I couldn't give a toss about having a scroll-able bar of emojis for my messages. I am a competent touch-typer, and while I may not be the best speller in the West, I'm competent enough as a typer to not not need to look at my keyboard. At all. Why do I suddenly get told looking at my keyboard again for spelling suggestions is a good thing?

As for scrubbing through video - riiight, how will having a third element impact workflow for editors out there who currently happily scrub with a mouse on the screen (who then use the mouse for other functions in their editing software, thus not needing to move their hand to another device), or even with a dedicated editing keyboard?

The more I think about this computer the more it pisses me off. Mostly because I've had to defend Apple a fair bit at work against the rest of the IT department who are somewhere between Android only, or completely Anti Apple. I defended the iPhone 7 - I can't think of one reason why I should bother defending this one.
Alfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 11:42 AM   #26
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonzo View Post
The more I think about this computer the more it pisses me off. Mostly because I've had to defend Apple a fair bit at work against the rest of the IT department who are somewhere between Android only, or completely Anti Apple. I defended the iPhone 7 - I can't think of one reason why I should bother defending this one.
taking function keys away for this thing is probably the most anti-business thing I can think of doing.

people lose their shit when function keys do anything but be function keys or don't exist.
Old 28th October 2016, 11:54 AM   #27
aokman

Quote:

Considering It has Touch ID built in for app purchases / logging etc...everyone will be using it.

I personally love it and I hope there has been a big step up in encryption so the MacBooks are now as secure as iPhones.

Also means as MacBooks ages, they don't end up with redundant keys on the top row with features that are retired.

#neverstopchasing - weatheradventures.net

Last edited by aokman; 28th October 2016 at 11:59 AM.
aokman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 12:12 PM   #28
giles666 Thread Starter

Well I ordered.

15" with the upgraded graphics. Going to take 4 weeks to get here.

Looking forward to it. Current Mac is a 2013 model.
giles666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 12:22 PM   #29
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokman View Post
Considering It has Touch ID built in for app purchases / logging etc...everyone will be using it.
didn't realise touch ID was built in, that is huge.
Old 28th October 2016, 2:25 PM   #30
Alfonzo

The fingerprinty thing is built into the power button on the far right, which as I understand it is still actually a physical button but built into the touch bar area.
Alfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote