Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Apple Desktop Hardware/Software

Notices

Old 29th October 2016, 7:18 AM   #61
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsive View Post
Forget business level. What about programmers? Where's my freaking escape key, Apple?
Yet another adapter cable.

elvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 7:57 AM   #62
xsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post

10char
xsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 8:07 AM   #63
giles666 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyzion View Post
This is proof you don't use Windows at all.
I use Windows 10, on a Surfae Pro, almost every day.

The thing is buggy as hell. Constant issues with rotation, with not going to sleep/waking from sleep properly, with it forgetting wireless networks and refusing to reconnect until you restart, with its bizarre insistnace on downloading endless bloody updates and then bugging me about them. There are just so many little annoyances that the Mac doesn't have.

It's also ugly, and the UI is crazy inconsistent. There are dialogs and control panels and stuff that looks like they have been pulled straight out of Windows XP, while other things look all modern.

Windows also lacks all the ecosystem intergrations that Apple has. There's no handoff, no universal clipboard, not airdrop. I can't unlock the surface with my wathch. I use all this stuff daily and it make life heaps easier.

Finally, most of the applications that I like the most aren't on Windows and the alternatives that are on Windows just aren't as good.

When you add all this up, Windows 10 is average at best.
giles666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 10:04 AM   #64
Alfonzo

Quote:

You'll need the $29 USB-C to USB cable to get that esc key to work.
Alfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 11:38 AM   #65
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles666 View Post
It's also ugly
The "your UI is subjectively less appealing to my personal taste than my UI" argument got boring 10 years ago. Please leave that off your prepared checklist next time.

Quote:
I can't unlock the surface with my wathch
As a business user, we disable this function for security reasons. You can be quite some distance from your machine when it unlocks, and that's a problem. Likewise, people can steal single-factor token based unlock devices, and that too is a problem.

Again, more of Apple's consumer approach to computing, which is fine, but not suitable for the business I work for. Not a selling point for me, just another annoying thing I have to disable.
Old 29th October 2016, 12:27 PM   #66
scips

I love my mbpr but anyone thinking mac belongs in enterprise/larger business for anything but the flashy sales guy who only uses it for web based sales crap and office suite and struggles to reboot his laptop once a month is fuckin delusional

STRUGGLE with SMB shares, any type of network drop/sleep = 90% chance of eject and try again.

on topic, new one doesnt look like enough of an improvement over the previous gen, maybe rev2 or 3 will get my $
scips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 2:34 PM   #67
giles666 Thread Starter

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/28/wh...t-thing-to-do/

A nice take on the Touch Bar that I mostly agree with.
giles666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 3:41 PM   #68
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/28/wh...t-thing-to-do/

A nice take on the Touch Bar that I mostly agree with.
You know, for someone who's urging a forum full of people to wait until the hardware is in their hands to make an informed decision, you sure are missing the irony of your own posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scips View Post
STRUGGLE with SMB shares, any type of network drop/sleep = 90% chance of eject and try again.
This has been a major issue for us since 10.7.

There was some discussion above about Windows being "unstable". Anyone who knows me knows I'm no Windows fan, but at least it can mount enterprise storage reliably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonzo View Post
You'll need the $29 USB-C to USB cable to get that esc key to work.
Saw this image doing the rounds today, titled "Apple's fastest growing hardware range".

Last edited by elvis; 29th October 2016 at 3:44 PM.
Old 29th October 2016, 4:43 PM   #69
Foos

so they put a bar on its thats multitouch etc.

Why the heck wouldn't they just turn the trackpad into a iphone screen?

then u could really have custom features.. rather than taking your fingers to the top of the keyboard.

They would certainly have economies of scale from making the screens already.
Old 29th October 2016, 5:39 PM   #70
Sphinx2000

Just installed Windows 10 over the top of OSX on a couple of new current gen 15" MBP's for someone.
Cost them $3.6k for each i7/512gb SSD version, which was $600 more than the Dell XPS equiv (with far better 4k screen and full touch !)... AND a Windows 10 license already, lol!

EDIT: lol, the new MBP with the same spec is now AUD $4,249.00 ... such a rip-off

Last edited by Sphinx2000; 29th October 2016 at 5:46 PM.
Sphinx2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 5:50 PM   #71
thecondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx2000 View Post
Just installed Windows 10 over the top of OSX on a couple of new current gen 15" MBP's for someone.
Cost them $3.6k for each i7/512gb SSD version, which was $600 more than the Dell XPS equiv (with far better 4k screen and full touch !)... AND a Windows 10 license already, lol!

EDIT: lol, the new MBP with the same spec is now AUD $4,249.00 ... such a rip-off
Haha yeah work bought me my mbp and I put win 10 on mine also haha.

As I have said earlier ill be getting a surface book next time though.
thecondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 6:09 PM   #72
scips

Quote:
This has been a major issue for us since 10.7.

There was some discussion above about Windows being "unstable". Anyone who knows me knows I'm no Windows fan, but at least it can mount enterprise storage reliably.
I'm hearing ya, sole reason that google drive got implemented at the school I was at was because the sheeple couldnt deal with having to cmd+k and hit connect if it dropped the shares.
scips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 6:37 PM   #73
holdennutta

Quote:
Nice first looks by Jim Dalrymple

He seems too like it. Has a lot of good things to say about the Touch Bar.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2016/10/2...edium=referral

Basically anything by Gruber or Dalrymple can be safely ignored these days. Those to guys are drowning in Apple Kool-Aid.

I generally like Apple hardware and software (and I'll keep my 2010 11" Air around until it stops booting) but it's becoming so expensive for less versatility than I don't think I can justify a new Macbook Pro.

USB C only is a bit harsh in 2016. I've not seen a single fucking USB peripheral in real life other than the cables that came with my Nexus phones.

Even if I have buckets of money to go buy new peripherals and USB drives in USB C I'll run into the issue of all my work computers and other people's machines not having it. Then they need dongles too.

That said - at the rate Apple upgrades their Macs these days they probably needed to put USB C in now so that in 4 years time and everyone has moved to type C and Apple still hasn't updated the Macs they'll be compatible
holdennutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 2:12 AM   #74
Elyzion

Quote:
It's also ugly, and the UI is crazy inconsistent.
You could argue the exact same thing about OSX. Still can't maximize apps. Some apps maximize correctly, some only resize vertically.

I prefer Windows 10 over OSX despite the fact I spend 90% of my time on my laptop in OSX. The 10% I boot into bootcamp is because on this 12" Macbook I get better battery life out of Windows 10. (this is only true when there's no discrete graphics card, because Apple's ability to switch gives better battery life in OSX, My MBPr got better battery than Windows 10)
Elyzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 10:42 AM   #75
aokman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scips View Post
I love my mbpr but anyone thinking mac belongs in enterprise/larger business for anything but the flashy sales guy who only uses it for web based sales crap and office suite and struggles to reboot his laptop once a month is fuckin delusional

on topic, new one doesnt look like enough of an improvement over the previous gen, maybe rev2 or 3 will get my $
Try using mountain for OSX. Been great for shares and mounting.

Windows 10 is an absolute pile of advertising shit don't know anyone can defend it.

#neverstopchasing - weatheradventures.net

Last edited by aokman; 30th October 2016 at 10:45 AM.
aokman is offline   Reply With Quote