Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Apple Desktop Hardware/Software

Notices

Old 1st January 2017, 8:37 AM   #751
giles666 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx2000 View Post
Classic Anorexic Design, trying to be thinner and thinner at the expense of stuff you need...
Except it has all the stuff you need.
giles666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 9:52 AM   #752
PsydFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles666 View Post

Accept it doesn't.
PsydFX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 10:02 AM   #753
millsy_c

Quote:
Having to carry a bunch of adaptors doth not make a thinner package. Portability isn't just the machine
millsy_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 11:44 AM   #754
Perko

Quote:
640k, right?
Main: Corsair 600C/Enermax Platimax 850/MSI X99A SLI Plus/i7-5820k @ 4GHz/Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280mm AIO/Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz Low Profile/Galax GTX 1080 EXOC/Creative SB-Z + Beyer T70/Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 1TB Caviar Black/Win 10 Pro/MK Fission - MX Whites/Mionix Naos 3200/AOC AGON AG271QG
Perko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 5:27 PM   #755
giles666 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsydFX View Post
Accept it doesn't.
Accept you're wrong.

It's fast, it's small and light, its has unparalleled expandability, and it uses the best OS out there.

If you all want to use worse laptops and Microsoft's inferior OS, go right ahead.

Just don't argue your solution is better when the only thing it has going for it is it's cheap.
Old 1st January 2017, 5:39 PM   #756
MUTMAN

Quote:
...Just don't argue your solution is better when the only thing it has going for it is it's cheap.
And here comes the not enough ram argument again
MUTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 5:44 PM   #757
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scips View Post
50 pages on and still the same 2 zealots with the same arguments sucking the apple kool aid

Tried the keyboard, 120wpm so faster than my old mpb but feels like aids.
Having never experienced aids before, I'm a little lost on the analogy but the keyboard certainly feels different. It's louder, which is going to be irritating in meetings.

I already live the dongle life on the 15" 2013, but the 2016 takes this to another, irritating level. HDMI is the obvious one and the AV industry has made no movements towards USB-C, so carrying any of these devices in a work environment means you need to carry the USB-C Digital AV adapter, which is not only buggy as hell (and only does 2016p30, not 60Hz) but also doesn't deliver the 87W required to power the 15" system and Apple have not shipped a solution. This is most unlike Apple; they're quick to accessorise for a new port so given the lack of options, we can't blame Apple for trying to cash grab from the new connector, because they're not making enough adapters to actually grab the cash they could be grabbing!

4x 40Gbps ports is a pro feature, however you lose one for power delivery straight away.

I'm also hitting graphics driver bugs that's taken out the OS a few times - and I've been using this thing for only a few days. This is why I've always run graphics hardware from Team Green. AMD's drivers are still, sadly a sore point. I never had issues with GPU switching on the NVIDIA-based 2012 and 2013, but it seems that a GPU switch is enough to crash out the OS on the 2016.

Has anyone noticed that the fans are more noisy on the 2016 vs. the 15" Retina? There's more high pitched noise coming out vs. the broad spectrum noise profile on the 2013.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 6:03 PM   #758
PsydFX

Quote:
Accept you're wrong.

It's fast, it's small and light, its has unparalleled expandability, and it uses the best OS out there.

If you all want to use worse laptops and Microsoft's inferior OS, go right ahead.

Just don't argue your solution is better when the only thing it has going for it is it's cheap.

You simply can't claim that the device has everything that everyone needs. They've made sacrifices to meet the form factor.
PsydFX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 8:10 PM   #759
aokman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Having never experienced aids before, I'm a little lost on the analogy but the keyboard certainly feels different. It's louder, which is going to be irritating in meetings.

I already live the dongle life on the 15" 2013, but the 2016 takes this to another, irritating level. HDMI is the obvious one and the AV industry has made no movements towards USB-C, so carrying any of these devices in a work environment means you need to carry the USB-C Digital AV adapter, which is not only buggy as hell (and only does 2016p30, not 60Hz) but also doesn't deliver the 87W required to power the 15" system and Apple have not shipped a solution. This is most unlike Apple; they're quick to accessorise for a new port so given the lack of options, we can't blame Apple for trying to cash grab from the new connector, because they're not making enough adapters to actually grab the cash they could be grabbing!

4x 40Gbps ports is a pro feature, however you lose one for power delivery straight away.

I'm also hitting graphics driver bugs that's taken out the OS a few times - and I've been using this thing for only a few days. This is why I've always run graphics hardware from Team Green. AMD's drivers are still, sadly a sore point. I never had issues with GPU switching on the NVIDIA-based 2012 and 2013, but it seems that a GPU switch is enough to crash out the OS on the 2016.

Has anyone noticed that the fans are more noisy on the 2016 vs. the 15" Retina? There's more high pitched noise coming out vs. the broad spectrum noise profile on the 2013.
In the ideal world, once USB-C has matured, power and IO will be able to passthrough the 1 single port. I am disappointed to see none of the options for docking currently feature ethernet built in though.

Yes dongles are not ideal but they are necessary until the world catches up to USB-C and companies get off their asses and start using it. It's nice that we have finally unified the port type and come to a decision in the constant battle of USB and thunderbolt.

#neverstopchasing - weatheradventures.net
aokman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 8:38 PM   #760
Sphinx2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTMAN View Post
And here comes the not enough ram argument again
It uses up too much battery remember
(for apple only, not competitors).
Sphinx2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 5:11 PM   #761
Zee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokman View Post
In the ideal world, once USB-C has matured, power and IO will be able to passthrough the 1 single port. I am disappointed to see none of the options for docking currently feature ethernet built in though.

Yes dongles are not ideal but they are necessary until the world catches up to USB-C and companies get off their asses and start using it. It's nice that we have finally unified the port type and come to a decision in the constant battle of USB and thunderbolt.
Trying to be as objective as possible, and being a bit of a fan of Apple notebooks (I love my Air, I really do...), you'd have thought they would have the sense to realise that, no, we won't have instantaneous ubiquitous USB-C at launch, and, perhaps, a legacy USB 3 port would have not gone astray.

Totally ignoring that, the loss of Magsafe totally for power totally messes with my head. If USB-C had been magnetic, I'd have understood, but alas...

Z...
Old 2nd January 2017, 5:19 PM   #762
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Trying to be as objective as possible, and being a bit of a fan of Apple notebooks (I love my Air, I really do...), you'd have thought they would have the sense to realise that, no, we won't have instantaneous ubiquitous USB-C at launch, and, perhaps, a legacy USB 3 port would have not gone astray.

Totally ignoring that, the loss of Magsafe totally for power totally messes with my head. If USB-C had been magnetic, I'd have understood, but alas...

Z...
The lack of adapters and accessories from Apple is concerning. There's no multiport A/V adapter from Apple that supports the 87W power delivery. There's nothing for DisplayPort customers. I don't mind the USB adapters to USB-C, but the lack of Apple-offocial accessories for the USB-C standard is alarming, given that there's so much confusion in the marketplace as the standard isn't really much of a standard at all. Not everyone is willing to ditch their perfectly working accessories (including LCD displays, audio systems, storage devices etc), some of which are higher quality and more capable than any of the current options (where's that USB-C/TB3 Hi-DPI 16:10 display? Anyone? Bueller?).

The physical force required to insert/remove USB-C is concerning and it's a chore. Given I move around to/from a desk several times a day (and the battery life on this system isn't anywhere near that of the old one), I'm convinced I'll be killing ports before the AppleCare warranty is up. MagSafe was great in this regard; the only stress was on the power adapter connector (a lot cheaper to replace than entire logic board) and I've only had a gen 1 magsafe fail on me this way. I know there's been several patents for magsafe-like USB connectors. I really hope one of these appears in a future Apple product soon.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 5:37 PM   #763
Hive

Quote:

It's fast
Not really

Quote:

it's small and light
Yes it is

Quote:

its has unparalleled expand-ability
It has zero expand-ability at all. What you buy is what you get, you cannot change any of it. Plugging in adaptors is not expand-ability. Computers have had universal-serial-bus connectors for over 18 years for adaptors.

Quote:

uses the best OS out there.
That is subjective. The metric to identify the "best" of is also subjective. Microsoft have a larger market share, therefor people tend to prefer it more. if it was the "Best" it would have the majority market share, which it does not.

Quote:

This is again subjective.

Quote:

Just don't argue your solution is better
Ironically, this is exactly what you seem to be doing???

Last edited by Hive; 2nd January 2017 at 6:10 PM.
Hive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 6:17 PM   #764
aokman

I also miss magsafe, I have hope however that someone makes a magnetic adapter to USB-C, its already on the cards aparently.

Ditching it was a stupid idea, it was one of Apples truly great inventions.

#neverstopchasing - weatheradventures.net
aokman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 6:32 PM   #765
giles666 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokman View Post
I also miss magsafe, I have hope however that someone makes a magnetic adapter to USB-C, its already on the cards aparently.

Ditching it was a stupid idea, it was one of Apples truly great inventions.
I always though Magsafe was a bit of a gimmick.

The ability to plug the power cable into either side of the laptop is way more valuable. No more snaking the cable awkwardly around the laptop to plug it in.