Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Game Consoles > Nintendo Consoles

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 21st April 2017, 11:53 AM   #16
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneman View Post
Along with a Mini Switch.
Not sure if it's what you're talking about, but the Mini Switch has been confirmed (low powered, handheld only, designed for kids and mobile users, 100% Switch compatible).

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st April 2017, 12:07 PM   #17
Boneman

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Not sure if it's what you're talking about, but the Mini Switch has been confirmed (low powered, handheld only, designed for kids and mobile users, 100% Switch compatible).
I was half-joking but it makes sense. Is it actually confirmed by Nintendo or still a whisper (like the SNES Mini ).

Personally I would buy a handheld Switch as I dont have a TV...or a living room.
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 1:09 PM   #18
clonex

yay, look forward to spending countless hours playing star fox
clonex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 1:52 PM   #19
martini.txt

Now make a switch tv which doesn't have the screen and costs 30% less, because I care very little about playing games outside of the house most of the time.
Micro - HP N40L w/ Ubuntu, Sickrage, Plex, Deluge
Garage - Honda Hornet 900 & Fiesta ST & BF XR6 Turbo
martini.txt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 2:07 PM   #20
hippyhippy

Quote:
Flippers - not even a challenge. Think like a business, not an individual on eBay. If someone else is selling your product at 2-3 times the profit margins that your official retail channels can sell them, it pisses your distributors and retailers off big time. Welcome to big business, and how shit works in the real world.

Hackers - this is Nintendo we're talking about. When people hack their stuff, they pull out. Probably not as much of a reason as flippers, but definitely on Nintendo's radar.

Sure, the RPi is the same, but Nintendo can't control that. They can, however, control the NES Mini, and despite roaring success pulled it from the market. Well regarded sources in the games journalism world are reporting it was a combination of these two issues, plus some other stuff. So flippers and hackers aren't 100% to blame, but they are a big part of the problem.

It's not me making this link. It's what Nintendo execs are taking away from the exercise, as reported by journalistic sources.

Take all the offence you like. If you're flipping NES Minis , then you are part of the problem. Thanks for fucking it up for the rest of us.
no problems ... if you cant get a mini nes just like others by simply pre ordering ... thats no ones problem but yours.

if someone else is selling your product for 2-3 times what you're selling it at .. maybe nintendo just missed out on opportunity to be 300% more profitable. nintendo artificially restricted the supply of a $20 at cost product. they still made 500% profit. the flipper is simply doing business, just simple economics just like flipping in any other industry be it food, property etc.

i dont know why you have a problem with hackers when you're on an overclockers forum. once you own the hardware, what does it matter what you do?

flippers arent your problem if you cant get one, your problem is nintendo for not making more and yourself for not pre ordering when given the chance, plus 100's of chances when they were actually available.
hippyhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 2:28 PM   #21
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyhippy View Post
i dont know why you have a problem with hackers when you're on an overclockers forum. once you own the hardware, what does it matter what you do?
*I* don't have a problem with it. Nintendo do. And now Nintendo aren't selling a product, so I'm sad.

So by all means, give me all the "consumer rights" arguments you want. Cool beans by me. "No NES mini for anyone" is the result, regardless of which side you want to argue.

Quote:
no problems ... if you cant get a mini nes just like others by simply pre ordering ... thats no ones problem but yours.

if someone else is selling your product for 2-3 times what you're selling it at .. maybe nintendo just missed out on opportunity to be 300% more profitable. nintendo artificially restricted the supply of a $20 at cost product. they still made 500% profit. the flipper is simply doing business, just simple economics just like flipping in any other industry be it food, property etc.

flippers arent your problem if you cant get one, your problem is nintendo for not making more and yourself for not pre ordering when given the chance, plus 100's of chances when they were actually available.
As I've said in the NES mini thread - you can argue the legal/moral side to flipping all you like, and you can argue that Nintendo didn't meet demand (which is true), but opportunistic flipping is still a dick move. And no, being a dick isn't illegal. If it was, we'd have a lot more folks in prison. And I'm not arguing that what you're doing with your flipping is anything more than a dick move.

But, people missed out, Nintendo gave up, and you're profiteering. So bully for you. Your short term gain has resulted in other people missing out. A dick move, but that's the way people are. I'm clearly not going to change your mind nor behaviour, and I can deal with that. Just like you're going to have to deal with me thinking that you're being a dick about this as long as you keep doing it. If you can deal with it, then let's leave the conversation here and save the OCAU server disk space. My opinion on flipping doesn't start and end with the NES mini, and hasn't changed in the decades of greedy dick flippers trying to change my opinion.
Old 21st April 2017, 2:34 PM   #22
Reaper Thread Starter

Quote:
*I* don't have a problem with it. Nintendo do. And now Nintendo aren't selling a product, so I'm sad.

So by all means, give me all the "consumer rights" arguments you want. Cool beans by me. "No NES mini for anyone" is the result, regardless of which side you want to argue.

As I've said in the NES mini thread - you can argue the legal/moral side to flipping all you like, and you can argue that Nintendo didn't meet demand (which is true), but opportunistic flipping is still a dick move. And no, being a dick isn't illegal. If it was, we'd have a lot more folks in prison. And I'm not arguing that what you're doing with your flipping is anything more than a dick move.

But, people missed out, Nintendo gave up, and you're profiteering. So bully for you. Your short term gain has resulted in other people missing out. A dick move, but that's the way people are. I'm clearly not going to change your mind nor behaviour, and I can deal with that. Just like you're going to have to deal with me thinking that you're being a dick about this as long as you keep doing it. If you can deal with it, then let's leave the conversation here and save the OCAU server disk space. My opinion on flipping doesn't start and end with the NES mini, and hasn't changed in the decades of greedy dick flippers trying to change my opinion.
The thing that makes me laugh at these flippers is that they don't really make that much money. Chump change for pov chumps.
_____|__||__|_____ ---||---------||---
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 2:42 PM   #23
martini.txt

A quote for the ages

Quote:
My opinion on flipping doesn't start and end with the NES mini, and hasn't changed in the decades of greedy dick flippers trying to change my opinion.
Micro - HP N40L w/ Ubuntu, Sickrage, Plex, Deluge
Garage - Honda Hornet 900 & Fiesta ST & BF XR6 Turbo
martini.txt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 2:47 PM   #24
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini.txt View Post
A quote for the ages
Ha. I've heard of black markets selling preserved animal genitals as some sort of hokum cure for erectile issues. So who knows, maybe "dick flipping" is an actual thing? #ocauwangdance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
The thing that makes me laugh at these flippers is that they don't really make that much money. Chump change for pov chumps.
I'm of the mind that if it's not even enough to pay GST on, then what's the point? Why would you even bother (let alone brag about something so menial)? If you measure it in dollars per hour, I'd be losing money compared to the same amount of work I could do elsewhere (and by quite the multiplier).

But overall, for every chump doing it, they're taking 5 units out of circulation in an already undersupplied market. And there's a lot of chumps. As they say, no single drop of rain is responsible for the flood. Back to my "lots of dicks in the world" comment, which you can take in any context you like.

Last edited by elvis; 21st April 2017 at 2:54 PM.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 2:54 PM   #25
Badooleoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwish View Post
Hell yes. If one comes out I'm totally buying it! Hopefully they put some good stuff on it like donkey Kong country and super Mario world!
Why wait? you can get those games on the Wii U, New Nintendo 3DS and New Nintendo 3DS XL (normal 3DS can't).
Badooleoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 2:58 PM   #26
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badooleoo View Post
Why wait? you can get those games on the Wii U, New Nintendo 3DS and New Nintendo 3DS XL (normal 3DS can't).
Dollars per game, these mini consoles work out much better than Virtual Console.

Dramatically more so for anyone who doesn't own current gen Nintendo hardware.
Old 21st April 2017, 3:43 PM   #27
Nightwish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badooleoo View Post
Because I don't own any of those consoles and I don't wanna spend $100+ for the console then however much it costs for the game itself just to play some classic Nintendo games. I'd rather spend $100 for the console preloaded with multiple games. As I don't want a current Nintendo console for me it makes more sense

Last edited by Nightwish; 21st April 2017 at 3:45 PM.
Nightwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 4:36 PM   #28
hippyhippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini.txt View Post
A quote for the ages
im sure he doesnt know how markets work ...
Old 21st April 2017, 5:20 PM   #29
Daft_Munt

Quote:
im sure he doesnt know how markets work ...
I am pretty sure he does, but he has morals.
Daft_Munt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 5:22 PM   #30
hippyhippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft_Munt View Post
I am pretty sure he does, but he has morals.
every single thing we buy has been flipped at 1 stage or another LOL ... surely you can understand that ...