Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Game Consoles > Nintendo Consoles

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 21st April 2017, 5:36 PM   #31
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyhippy View Post
every single thing we buy has been flipped at 1 stage or another LOL ... surely you can understand that ...
Hey everyone, there's a guy over there being a dick. Let's all be dicks!

You're not a market force. You're not a wholesaler or a retailer. If you were doing anything of value at valuable scale, you'd be paying GST. You're just a tiny leech.

And like a tiny leech, nothing you're doing is illegal. But it is a minor pain in the arse for everyone around you. Nobody can stop you, but don't expect anyone here to be in awe of you. In fact, expect people to think you're being a bit of a dick.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st April 2017, 5:55 PM   #32
Badooleoo

Default Tight-arses

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Dollars per game, these mini consoles work out much better than Virtual Console.

Dramatically more so for anyone who doesn't own current gen Nintendo hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwish View Post
Because I don't own any of those consoles and I don't wanna spend $100+ for the console then however much it costs for the game itself just to play some classic Nintendo games. I'd rather spend $100 for the console preloaded with multiple games. As I don't want a current Nintendo console for me it makes more sense
If your such tight-arses why not emulate...
Badooleoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 6:20 PM   #33
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badooleoo View Post
Buying retro games legally encourages companies to release them in sensible ways.

There's no need to buy a $400 console to play retro games. If cheap hardware can do it, then that's a great way to get a hold of games legally without buying hardware 1000 times more powerful than it needs to be.

It would be better if Nintendo just made things available on PC, but they're a slow company when it comes to sensible things like that (compared to Sega who offer dozens of ways to buy their old games legally).

But in the interim, these mini consoles are a fantastic way for retro gamers to get legal licenses of games without having to buy hardware they don't want.
Old 21st April 2017, 6:20 PM   #34
Daft_Munt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyhippy View Post
every single thing we buy has been flipped at 1 stage or another LOL ... surely you can understand that ...
Not everything. Some of us like to know where our products come from, hence the rise farmer markets across the country. I am one of these people that hates seeing a scarce product hoarded by scalpers to make a profit (I have multiple retro consoles anticipating hardware failure). Yes market forces, but the market has multiple flaws.

Quote:
The NES mini is emulation, as will be the SNES mini. I prefer (as does elvis) to play on the original hardware. Check out the retro section.
Daft_Munt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 9:00 PM   #35
Drizz06

I only bought 1 Nes mini for the missus and preordered the first batch on day 1 when they first went up for pre-order.

I'm not defending flippers but most people who were dying to have one could have if they put in the effort.
Drizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 9:07 PM   #36
zero_velocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizz06 View Post
I'm not defending flippers but most people who were dying to have one could have if they put in the effort.
How do you figure that?

As both I and my partner work full time in demanding jobs, we have both been unable to order/pre-order a nes mini on every occasion they become available.

Please explain how I can put in more effort when I get to my work PC 3 hours from being on site and in meetings after they become available at EB games and are already sold out?

And elvis, you are being way too kind by only referring to flippers as dicks, its probably more of a complement compared to the vulgar term I would refer to them as.

Its so typical of life that a minority ruin something potentially amazing for the majority due to their own personal agenda with no thought or consideration given to the short or long term impacts of their decisions.
zero_velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 9:13 PM   #37
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Had they been on shelves, they would have sold. It's pretty low to tell people it's their own fault for not being aware that they were selling out in pre-order (often in minutes).

OCAU sometimes forget that the other 24 million people in this country don't live on the Internet 24x7.

There's a metric tonne of folk who played the NES "back in the day", and aren't huge gamers today, let alone the sorts of folks who would even hear that these are available for pre-order. No secrets that I'm an avid retro gamer and game collector, and I have people visiting my house and playing my collection on a regular basis who are stunned that these games are still alive today. They all express an interest in buying these things, and have no idea they're available to buy new. These folks never had a chance to get a NES Mini, let alone even know they existed.

Yes, Nintendo totally screwed up both the supply and marketing of this. Zero arguments from me. But that doesn't change that what the flippers are doing is a total dick move. For the millionth time, just because something isn't illegal, doesn't excuse it from being scum behaviour. And trying to put it back on non-technical customers as being their own fault for missing out is a pretty low blow.
Old 21st April 2017, 9:18 PM   #38
Drizz06

Quote:
Had they been on shelves, they would have sold. It's pretty low to tell people it's their own fault for not being aware that they were selling out in pre-order (often in minutes).

OCAU sometimes forget that the other 24 million people in this country don't live on the Internet 24x7.

There's a metric tonne of folk who played the NES "back in the day", and aren't huge gamers today, let alone the sorts of folks who would even hear that these are available for pre-order. No secrets that I'm an avid retro gamer and game collector, and I have people visiting my house and playing my collection on a regular basis who are stunned that these games are still alive today. They all express an interest in buying these things, and have no idea they're available to buy new. These folks never had a chance to get a NES Mini, let alone even know they existed.

Yes, Nintendo totally screwed up both the supply and marketing of this. Zero arguments from me. But that doesn't change that what the flippers are doing is a total dick move. For the millionth time, just because something isn't illegal, doesn't excuse it from being scum behaviour. And trying to put it back on non-technical customers as being their own fault for missing out is a pretty low blow.
I preordered mine while on lunch break at work, Hardly had to be on the net 24/7.
Old 21st April 2017, 9:19 PM   #39
Sledge

I'm with Elvis.
I did want one, and went to a few shops a few times to get one.. always missed out. (can't do anything about it on the internet at work)
Am i disappointed? Yes
Am i going to cry ? No

Are flippers dicks for stopping me from getting one? Most definitely !!
Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 9:45 PM   #40
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
I preordered mine while on lunch break at work, Hardly had to be on the net 24/7.
You missed my point. How did you hear that they were available for pre-order?

Pro-tip: if it wasn't a TV or radio commercial explicitly explaining the thing (or a celebrity showing one off), then you're 0.01% of the population. I know it's hard to fathom that regular folk aren't like us. But they really, really aren't.
Old 21st April 2017, 10:04 PM   #41
Drizz06

Quote:
You missed my point. How did you hear that they were available for pre-order?

Pro-tip: if it wasn't a TV or radio commercial explicitly explaining the thing (or a celebrity showing one off), then you're 0.01% of the population. I know it's hard to fathom that regular folk aren't like us. But they really, really aren't.
Recieved a email from eb games.
Old 21st April 2017, 10:12 PM   #42
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Recieved a email from eb games.
And there you have it. Not on a store shelf. Not in mainstream advertising.

Regular folk didn't even know these existed by the time they sold out.
Old 21st April 2017, 10:49 PM   #43
hippyhippy

Quote:
The crying in this thread is unbelievable lol ... oh nos .. i didn't/couldnt pre order. .. i coudn't find it in the shop ... must be dem dam flippers fault. Da flippers got all the stock ... i went to the shop and didn't see it on the shelves ... why no one save me a unit?

I was able to order multiple units from eb and target on multiple occasions. .. and i didnt even pre order cause i thought there would be thousands available. This time i will pre order multiple units of the snes ... just to annoy the flipper haters...

If regular folk wanted 1..then they should have put some effort in ... otherwise go on ebay where there are plenty available. Laughable that you don't put in any effort for a hard to get item and expect it to fall in your lap.
hippyhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 10:57 PM   #44
elvis
Old school old fool

On a lighter note, and acknowledging the gross shortage of units Nintendo shipped, the memes for the SNES Mini have already started:
http://imgur.com/a/Fu2zP

Last edited by elvis; 21st April 2017 at 11:05 PM.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 2:53 AM   #45
Nightwish

Quote:
It's not being a tight ass

A) if I can buy something legally I'd rather support the creators than downloading a copy for free

B) if I were to emulate I'd do it on the pc and it's nowhere near as fun using keyboard and mouse. I honestly can't be bothered with things like raspberry pi. I just want to just turn it on and play. Not screw around for ages with an emulator that may not properly work for some games

Besides I don't have $300 to splash on a console I'll never buy any other games for. I have 0 interest in the 3ds or Wii U catalogue
Nightwish is offline   Reply With Quote