Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Old 27th August 2015, 11:46 PM   #196
GDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopz View Post
Devastating strikes are pissing me off. 50 shells into a BB and it does minimal damage, he turns around and fires 1 salvo into my 95% health Omaha, devastating strike, I blow up Happened 3 games ina row with salvos and torpedos.. no fun
Omaha has a soft spot from the front, it is possible and a reasonably frequent occurance from all acounts. Sadly the aircraft no longer extends the MB range either. Still need about 1-200K exp to skill up to the L4 +20% range perk.... (That 74K skill tick is PITA)
GDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 11:58 AM   #197
Vladdo

I pity anyone who gets stuck on my team..

I haven't won a game in a week so I don't care anymore.. I rush into battle, spam heaps of torps and then get shot to pieces..

I often TK too.. lol..
Old 30th August 2015, 2:35 PM   #198
GDavid

A week or so back:

Last night before going to bed:

1st outing in Kuma, 3 DDs on the bottom and a very sore Aoba because I had a team LOL:

Old 31st August 2015, 7:59 AM   #199
FFC

I played a game yesterday, someone's ship icon and name were all in pink?

Those 3x bonuses were awesome too, got so many extra XP.

Had a really good 8K round where I also raked in 250k of silver.
FFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 8:07 AM   #200
XxNOUGHTxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFC View Post

Those 3x bonuses were awesome too, got so many extra XP.

Had a really good 8K round where I also raked in 250k of silver.
Yeh the pink means they are a team killer.
Old 31st August 2015, 8:11 AM   #201
r8response

Quote:
They've been pinged for doing too much damage to team mates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNOUGHTxX View Post
Yeh the pink means they are a team killer.
It changed in WoWS iirc to actual damage you do to team mates, not necessarily killing them.

When their name is pink, they take damage if they damage a team mate.

Last edited by r8response; 31st August 2015 at 8:14 AM.
r8response is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 9:21 AM   #202
FFC

Oh okay. So steer clear of them then.
FFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 11:27 AM   #203
r8response

Quote:
Oh okay. So steer clear of them then.
Yes and no.

They could be shooting team mates on purpose, or they could be one of "those" people that fires off all their torps behind team mates only for the team mates to turn into them.
Old 31st August 2015, 11:37 AM   #204
zbone

Downloaded on Friday, spent most weekend on this thing. Kind of fun but when you get to tier 4 ships it becomes tough XP grind with sudden cutoff of silver flow as well despite my win % going from 35 to 55.

For some reason when I play Isukaze I get blown to pieces the very first engagement doing the same thing I do in lower tier DD's. Used to take at least one cruiser down with me if things go pear shaped but now I am just a practice target.

Kawachi - wtf is wrong with me? If I go with the herd, I rarely get piece of action because I am too slow. If I go solo or with a small group, I can't hit shit or get shot at before I get into my gun range. When I finally open it's got terrible spread. I once hit a different ship because it missed so badly. Yet I have the best win% with it which proves the outcome is so random and barely depends on your personal performance.

Don't see why I want to spend full day grinding through this kind of shit to get something decent.

Where can I find detailed stats comparison/spreadsheet?
zbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 11:55 AM   #205
Vladdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbone View Post
stuff
Yep.. I'm having the same problem..

I like the CV tier, lots of mobility and decent guns with some armour..

But I can never usually win a game so I usually get low XP, so it's a long grind..

What I have been doing tho is having 2 CVs in port. So I then go into a game and rush to choke point. I just fire at anything and everything and will always die first. But, I usually take at least a small DD or even a CV with me, so on average, I get about 500 xp points a game. I rarely, if ever, win a game.. but even when I was, I was lucky to get 1000 xp points and that would take 15 mins to complete. Whereas now, I'm usually done between 5-7 mins and don't have to sit around in a map waiting for something to show up..

Think i'm about 2000 xp off tier 5 Omaha..

With 2 CV's, I can usually switch between the two without really waiting around for the previous battles to finish. I've read that anything past tier 7 is almost pointless as the repair costs outweigh any rewards that you get.
Old 31st August 2015, 2:34 PM   #206
GDavid

Tier 2-5 Japanese DDs are awesome. You are using guns aren't you? You are using the detected skill?
Try waiting until you really need to use them like when you are duelling another destroyer or the torpedos didn't quite finish the enemy ship and you can't afford to wait. Firing guns from a destroyer ruins it's camouflage and adds a significant amount to its detection range (like speed boost)... Thx r8...

If you look back one or two pages you'll see how much an Isokaze can earn when played well.
Old 31st August 2015, 2:55 PM   #207
zbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDavid View Post
Tier 2-5 Japanese DDs are awesome. You are using guns aren't you? You are using the detected skill?
Try waiting until you really need to use them like when you are duelling another destroyer or the torpedos didn't quite finish the enemy ship and you can't afford to wait. Firing guns from a destroyer ruins it's camouflage and adds a significant amount to its detection range (like speed boost)... Thx r8...

If you look back one or two pages you'll see how much an Isokaze can earn when played well.
Yes, I use detected skill and don't use guns. However, I didn't realise engine boost would give me out as well. I believe it's planes who detect me.

I am surprised how good some people at sniping a charging and ever changing course destroyer.Three games in a row I was blown out or incapacitated after 3 salvos from 8km by a single capital ship.
zbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 3:45 PM   #208
r8response

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbone View Post
However, I didn't realise engine boost would give me out as well. I believe it's planes who detect me. .
When you pop your smoke, drop to 3/4 speed. Otherwise you can actually outrun the smoke.

From time to time, you'll see destroyers pop in and out of vision when they deploy smoke. It's simply because they are effectively running ahead of their own smoke.
Old 31st August 2015, 5:07 PM   #209
Zabba

Everyone comes to this post to show off their 5k+ score cards when 95% of the time all of us sit around 600. How about enjoy the game for what it stands instead of bragging some score card without leaving any constructive comment?

My favourite and at the same time most infuriating class are the battleships. I love how everyone targets them, CV's love us, destroyers eat us for breakfast and a good cruiser can do great damage. We are useless at capping as we are too slow. Our AA is unable to do much against torpedo runners. However, our damage is huge...from the back a 14km shell can almost 1 shot an unaware cruiser. If we miss, then we are in trouble as in those 30 sec reload times, we get pelted with shots. But y biggest grippe with the game are invisible destroyers. I have lost count as to how many times I died to torpedos from ghost ships.

On the other hand I can get in about 4-5k from a ship with my destroyer before being spotted and at that range BB's are as good as dead. That's insane...and should be balanced.

I only got to play about 1 hr during the weekend and my biggest (and only) 3x XP haul in was ~400 and happened during my first game where I got my battleship blown out by a destroyer and a cruiser within 5 mins of the match.

Everyday 8/10 battles...

I lost the rest of the games...

Last edited by Zabba; 31st August 2015 at 8:58 PM.
Zabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 5:15 PM   #210
r8response

There's not much to say about my high scoring rounds.

More often than not, it comes down to 90% luck and 10% skill.

Destroyers at this point, are simply free XP/Credits. The Minekaze in particular is a joke. It can hide (in plain sight) about 6km from an enemy ship and drop a spread of torps without you ever knowing it was there.

Simplest bit of advice to anyone that pilots Battleships... Stop going in a straight fucking line. It makes you the biggest, fattest target of all. Even if you only change course by 10 degrees, it'll throw off the torps by a large margin.