Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Old 13th June 2017, 10:24 PM   #1
Chardiieee Thread Starter

Default ATH M40x, new pads + setting an EQ

Hey guys, lend me your advice if possible

Recently stumbled upon this magical set of cans, oh so chocolatey smooth.

Im still breaking in these bad boys, and so I imagine the frame and foam might still be a bit stiff for a while, but its doing me a heckin discomfort and I wouldnt mind some velour contact.
I have been toying with the idea of new ear pads, but Im unsure if its worth $50AUD for the famous Brainwavz HM5 (hybrid angled). Ive been watching some Z reviews on Youtube to get an idea of pad choices and effects for M40x's specifically. (he loves them too!)
Thoughts?

Yesterday I tried doing a round of EQ work just by ear to take away some harshness and see what sounded good, and saved it for comparison later.
Im using Equalizer APO + Peace, making sure I use the graph window to plot my changes on a curve.
(refer to pic below)

Next I tried pulling up an actual response graph and EQ'ing to counter all the peaks and cuts, and listen to how my original EQ (and no EQ) compared.
I know this probably isnt ideal, but I was curious.

The sound was definitely very tonally coloured on the first round, but on the second round it did sound far more neutral and was more bearable at louder volumes. I know its probably very aggressive EQ, and Im still forming my opinion about how it sounds compared to EQ OFF (which isnt that bad. This is just an experiment.)
After 30 mins of A/B testing, I feel like this EQ is actually achieving what I want it to, but
Id love some thoughts about my methods and what changes I should make.

EDIT: Ive included the ATH M40x correctional EQ file for E-APO/Peace if you wanted to test it yourself.

Last edited by Chardiieee; 24th June 2017 at 1:29 PM.
Chardiieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 1:50 PM   #2
Chardiieee Thread Starter

Ive updated the file as I made some minor tweaks since I started noticing it was harsh or dull in places, likely as a result of EQ'ing so aggressively.

So this may be slightly coloured in my personal favour, but I am trying to maintain a flat response according to the response graph.

Also I dont know how much the amp Im using is affecting the results.
I am using optical input to a Marantz Hifi amp which I believe to be a decent platform, it is set up for a clean passthrough and no DSP or alterations of any kind. I just use it to easily A/B between bookshelf speakers and headphones.
Chardiieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 3:55 PM   #3
Frontl1ne

I'm no expert, but I don't think you want a flat frequency response with headphones. See this article: https://www.innerfidelity.com/conten...r-target-curve

It looks like you want to be chasing a response closer to this if you are after a neutral sound.
Frontl1ne is offline   Reply With Quote